Trader Joe's - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Beginner

I do really enjoy TJ's and do most of my shopping there. I occasionally have to venture out to Safeway for name-brand products or Whole Foods if I need a few more options. If I had my choice though, I would love a small local health-foods market. I try to get to the farmers market on Sat/Sun to make up for this a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

Absolutely love the place. Unfortunately, I've been going through withdrawals for several years now, as I used to shop there all the time in Reno and San Diego, but then moved to Knoxville, Tenn., and now live just outside Spokane, Wash., and there are none within hours of either of those two places.

Update - am now in Seattle and within walking distance of TJ's. Very happy and content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

ETA: I also want to add that TJ's carries Tofutti brand Mintz's Blintzes. The box states that they are nondairy, but if you look at the ingredients, they do contain egg whites. So while they're nondairy, they're still not vegan.

Yeah, I just realized that too last time I went. I was intrigued and read the ingredients and saw the eggs.
#33 Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

They do!? How weird. I don't remember reading that.

Me either. Guess I should take a better look at the packaging next time. They had some interesting flavors that I wanted to try, but didn't feel like buying a huge tub of it.

Trader Joe's is alright. Not my favorite place. Produce section is lacking in any real substance. They tend to be less expensive on some of the gluten free stuff, and the canned organic beans. But I prefer Whole Foods, or the Co Op for produce.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Beginner

I love love love Trader Joes. It's a great funky store. A bit pricey, but the least expensive when you're talking Whole Foods and The Fresh Market.
#35 Old 01-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I love Trader Joe's, they have some of the best prices for organic foods around here. Most of the TJ store brand foods aer awesome... I love their hummus and pizza sauce. If you have not tried the Curry Naan... it is amazing.
#36 Old 01-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Zen

Personally I think Trader Joes is off the hook :P
#37 Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only had their edamame hummus, and I have read the ingredients several times - I recently double checked because the color looked lighter. No dairy in there.
#38 Old 01-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a bit disapointed with Trader Joe's. The ones in my town have a limited selection and don't carry many veg*n items and only a very few things that I actually would purchase. They are also more expensive than most of the other stores nearby. Their hummus is good though.
#39 Old 01-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist View Post

They put milk into their store-brand hummus. How backwards of a company do you have to be to de-vegan a classically vegan food?

I just bought some of their hummus today, and there is no milk in it..
#40 Old 01-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Trader Joes is MORE expensive for the things I use personally, or they don't stock them at all, so I rarely go. Flour, baking ingredients, raw nuts, bread, pasta, coconut milk, asian ingredients are more expensive. They don't have coconut oil or soymilk powder or raw sunflower seeds or Walla Walla Sweet onions, or sesame oil or nutritional yeast. I don't ever use pre-packaged mixes, sauces or ingredient blends, so 90% of their frozen, canned and jarred foods are useless to me.

They ARE cheaper for Vegenaise, soymilk, Earth Balance and Morningstar Farms. Which makes them worth a trip about once every 4 months since I rarely use these products.
#41 Old 06-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I wanted to add this:

Their instant miso soup is NOT vegetarian. It contains bonito, which is a fish.

OTOH, I've been using the Trader Joe's brand antiplaque toothpaste which contains fennel, propolis and myrrh. (I am avoiding toothpaste with fluoride in it.) The tube states that it contains no animal products and is not tested on animals. I do think it foams up a bit too much for my liking, and it took me a few days to get used to the taste of it, but otherwise I think it's okay. So it's safe to use for ethical reasons.

*this space not for sale*
#42 Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts' date='18 January 2010 - 06:14 PM' timestamp='1263852876' post='2533103 View Post

Trader Joes is MORE expensive for the things I use personally, or they don't stock them at all, so I rarely go. Flour, baking ingredients, raw nuts, bread, pasta, coconut milk, asian ingredients are more expensive. They don't have coconut oil or soymilk powder or raw sunflower seeds or Walla Walla Sweet onions, or sesame oil or nutritional yeast. I don't ever use pre-packaged mixes, sauces or ingredient blends, so 90% of their frozen, canned and jarred foods are useless to me.

They ARE cheaper for Vegenaise, soymilk, Earth Balance and Morningstar Farms. Which makes them worth a trip about once every 4 months since I rarely use these products.

Oy.. I wish my TJ had Vegenaise. I have to go to Whole Foods for that.

All we are is dust in the wind
#43 Old 09-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Sad news.

Their Eggless Egg Salad, which was made with tofu and was vegan, has been discontinued. I noticed months ago that it had disappeared from the shelves of every store I was in. I asked an employee about it, and he was a little vague and thought it might return at some point. I kept checking every time I went shopping at TJ's, but nope, not there. I asked again a month or so later, and this employee was also vague about it and thought it might return. You'd think that after this stuff not being on the shelf at any store I checked for months on end I'd figure it out, but I still held out some hope because sometimes a product will disappear from TJ's for a certain period while the company switches the product to a new supplier.

Well, I was in TJ's yesterday once again checking for the eggless egg salad and not finding it, so I asked once again. This time I was told that it was discontinued.

Damnit. I really liked it. I've tried variations on it from other stores (Whole Foods, the local co-op), and they just aren't the same. The eggless egg salad was good as a quick protein snack and as a spread on crackers and bread. Now I will have to rely on the tofu salads, etc. that I've tried before from other stores.

R.I.P. Trader Joe's eggless egg salad.

#44 Old 09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a fan of some of their specialty items. Like their masala burger, the mango sticky rice dessert (this absolutely SLAYS me it's so good), and their black bean soup (WAY cheaper than Amy's).

I'm also a fan of being able to buy things like adorably itty bitty potatoes, fresh figs, and decently priced organic berries.

It's a great place to stop once in a while, but I can't do all my shopping there. I'm okay with that, though.
#45 Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Many years ago the main supermarket chains in the Los Angeles area were hit by a strike by employees. It amazes me still the number of people who honored the picket lines and stayed away. I did, too, and shopped mainly at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. When the strike was over, I realized that I managed very nicely without shopping at those supermarkets. I sometimes do shop at them, but I still do most of my grocery shopping at TJ's and Whole foods, and I get a lot of my household supplies from Target.

#46 Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I have shopped there once. Great prices on produce.. HOWEVER i still went to other places. I already have to do that to get some of the stuff my DH wants (pop, water..etc) SOO in short i prefer whole foods for now, that means only 2 stops not 3. =)

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#47 Old 09-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Not somewhere I can do all my shopping (or any of it, now that I don't live near one), but I've found some cool specialty items there. And I bought 4 avocados for like $2 once. Very nice.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#48 Old 09-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned

I'm always tempted by these packages of dried green string beans near the nuts ('cause I buy packs of brazil nuts there), but I'm 50/50 on taking a chance. On one hand, I find dried green beans very different and interesting. On the other hand, they have a bit of that " Oh God, why'd I ever buy these damn things" look to them.
#49 Old 09-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Oh Trader Joe's, how I miss thee.

Besides with the Eggless Egg Salad, has anything else been discontinued in the last year? I'll be back in So Cal next week.
#50 Old 09-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh Trader Joe's, how I miss thee.

Besides with the Eggless Egg Salad, has anything else been discontinued in the last year? I'll be back in So Cal next week.

Nothing else that I'm aware of, thank goodness, but you'll just have to see for yourself when you come back.

#51 Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Anything new?
#52 Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Anything new?

Have you eaten the mango sticky rice thingie? EAT IT NOW. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Faster!
#53 Old 09-03-2010, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Have you eaten the mango sticky rice thingie? EAT IT NOW. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Faster!

Haha, I will! Is it in the freezer section?
#54 Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Haha, I will! Is it in the freezer section?

Yup.

Particularly nice is the fact that it actually looks the SAME on your plate as it does in the picture on the box. Shocking for a frozen food, and totally awesome.

If you like mango, coconut milk, and sticky rice, you will like this thing.
#55 Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Want!
#56 Old 09-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

I bought the mango sticky rice
#57 Old 09-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I bought the mango sticky rice

But did you eat it? That is the question.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#58 Old 09-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Not yet, I will soon. My stomach has been hurting for 4 days
#59 Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so happy I finally live near a trader joes! It's kind of small but has lots of delicious healthy stuff I could never get a hold of. And I love how I can pay like 30 bucks for a bunch of organic food where at any other store it'd be super expensive.
I love their pecan granola cereal, I went through that stuff way too fast.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#60 Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not yet, I will soon. My stomach has been hurting for 4 days

That's no good.

Get better and get eating!

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page