GABA Brown Rice - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia "brown rice" View Post

A nutritionally superior method of preparation using GABA rice or germinated brown rice (GBR), developed during the International Year of Rice, may be used.[2] This involves soaking washed brown rice for 2 hours in warm water (38 °C or 100 °F) prior to cooking it. This process stimulates germination, which activates various enzymes in the rice. By this method, it is possible to obtain a more complete amino acid profile, including GABA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia "Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)" View Post

Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is the chief inhibitory neurotransmitter in the mammalian central nervous system. It plays an important role in regulating neuronal excitability throughout the nervous system. In humans, GABA is also directly responsible for the regulation of muscle tone. In insect species GABA acts only on excitatory nerve receptors...

...GABA has been purported to increase the amount of the Human Growth Hormone. The results of those studies have been seldom replicated, and have recently been in question since it is unknown whether GABA can pass the blood-brain barrier.

I recently replaced my old rice cooker with a much more advanced rice robot from zojirushi.

It offers this setting called GABA Brown Rice where the brown rice sits in warm water and germinates for 2 hours before cooking but I'm not sure if this germinated rice with the extra gaba has any real benefit because of the blood-brain barrier question.

while some people in japan seem enthusiastic about it

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0081128nc.html

Quote:
"Germinated brown rice has 20 times more GABA than white rice," says Nonaga, referring to gamma- aminobutyric acid, an amino acid that helps control the central nervous system and regulates the growth of neural stem cells. GABA prevents nerve cells from overfiring and helps release sexual hormones.

In simpler words, GABA chills you out and turns you on.

Claiming something is an aphrodisiac just makes me much more skeptical. worshipping at the shrine to Inari. at least it's not powdered tiger penis.

anybody have any thoughts? I'm down with the brown rice but this GABA brown rice brings up some issues that Raw Foodists might be more familiar with.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Mine has that setting too... I think? Maybe I had better read the instruction book again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page