Egg substitute/no eggs in instant potato pancake mix? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I have some instant potato pancake mix (basically just potato starch and matzoh meal) that someone gave me and the instructions are to combine it with an egg and a cup of water and then fry it but the problem is that I don't have any eggs and I'd rather not cook with them anyway. Do you think it would work to use applesauce as an egg sub or would that not work? Can I just leave the eggs out completely?

I don't have any flaxseed or other egg replacer and I probably won't get around to buying any in the near future. Suggestions for a starving college student?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Banned

i think applesauce would be a bit sweet. what about a bit of oil? i'd probably just leave it out.
#3 Old 12-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I'd be tempted to try it without any sub - or maybe just a bit of oil... Potato starch actually works as an egg-replacer in some things so I think it would be fine.

Or if you have it, a bit of blended silken tofu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Veggie Regular

my boyfriend just made this. It was super cheap potato pancake mix. I told him applesauce, I had just made some that wasn't too sweet. Worked.

I always thought potato pancakes were supposed to be eaten with apple sauce and ketchup? The good ones at least. Nom nom nom.
#5 Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

baking powder will work. 1 egg = 2 tbsp water + 2 tsp baking powder

just dissolve the b.p in the water

sometimes a touch of oil helps too, just depends on the recipe
#6 Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

my boyfriend just made this. It was super cheap potato pancake mix. I told him applesauce, I had just made some that wasn't too sweet. Worked.

I always thought potato pancakes were supposed to be eaten with apple sauce and ketchup? The good ones at least. Nom nom nom.

ah, yeah, they are. i just can't get my head around the idea of applesauce going with potato pancakes- cos i'm foreign.
#7 Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm going to try it over the weekend with a little oil and applesauce. Potato pancakes are meant to be eaten with applesauce so I hope it will go fine.
#8 Old 12-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

I think I'm going to try it over the weekend with a little oil and applesauce. Potato pancakes are meant to be eaten with applesauce so I hope it will go fine.

and tofutti sour cream...mmmmmm. sooo good!!
#9 Old 12-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a potato pancake mix, too. Problem is I don't like apple sauce-- never made it myself though, tha tmight be a different story
#10 Old 12-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Banned

i normally do mine with flax meal and water gloop. its kinda nutty/wholemeal tasting, but i think in a good way.
#11 Old 12-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I made them with some applesauce and a little oil and it worked out very well. Highly recommended.
#12 Old 12-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

I have a potato pancake mix, too. Problem is I don't like apple sauce-- never made it myself though, tha tmight be a different story

try it homemade...its DEF better, imo. I actually, in a pinch used some ujarred sauce, and it was gross (to eat straight anyway). When you make it yourself, you can adjust all the seasonings, texture, etc to your liking. Plus, its fun depending on the mix of apple types u use.

when i do tater pancakes, i use a griddle pan, not in a bunch of oil. and to bind it, i use some flour and/ or ENRG and its always worked for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page