Candy Dish Candy! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

It's CHRISTMAS TIME!

at least in my house. My little $10 4 foot tree is up on its little table and the candy dish my grandma made in '72 (she dates the bottom of these things) is on the coffee table.

However! This is the first holiday season I've been a vegan, so I'm at a loss at what candy should go in it! I used to get the Hershey kisses in little red green and gold wrappers, or the bells, and that doesn't work this year.

Any suggestions for prewrapped festive goodies? I'm particularly fond of chocolate but anything works. Even recipes (and uh, how to wrap them, cause I'm dense this holiday apparently.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't think of any small, festive, wrapped, vegan chocolates off hand, UNLESS you wanted to spend a good bit of money and order a bunch online -- in which case I would strongly recommend sjaak's chocolate bites . http://sjaaks.com/categories/show/Vegan+Chocolates I've had their PB chocolate bites (I know this would be out for you!) and the caramels bites and they were both fantastic! They make other ones like ginger and mint and solid chocolate. They have ones in festive wrappings too. I asked for some for Christmas -- we'll see if I get 'em! (My mom respects chocolate, so I think she would get 'em for me)

For non chocolate, you could put in some mini candy canes, or my addiction, "Soft" peppermints. They're usually in the store brand candy sections and they're just little peppermint balls that aren't soft like chewy, but you can chomp 'em after a minute or two of sucking on them and they're chewable (but not chalky), not like a hard candy.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 12-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Beginner

Rabid, I think those are called Scottish mints (I love them too, if they are).

I managed to find vegan gummy bells at my local grocery store. They weren't exactly tasty, but they looked good? I haven't found any holiday ones yet that are vegan, tasty AND pretty.

My next idea is going to be those red-coated pistachios with some shelled ones. It's all I could come up with.

If you find anything, please let me know! I'm at a loss too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Red and green rock candy broken up into little nuggets?

Ribbon candy

Swedish fish along with the green fish from the 'assorted' Swedish fish packs
#5 Old 12-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Yummy Earth candies are pretty good, but I don't think they have festive packaging. They have multiple colors though. :shrugs:
#6 Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

these look awesome:

http://sjaaks.com/product_molds/show/105

but I'm not spending that much! :: adds to honey please list ::

I might order those yummy earth candies if I don't find anything at the store locally. This sucks I can't come up with anything else, I was hoping for some individually wrapped chocolatey goodness. Stupid hersheys adding dairy to everything

eta: i just noticed the yummy earth price too. gah! I'd fare as well with the chocolates
#7 Old 12-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

oo FOUND SOMETHING!!

http://www.chocolatebar.com/shop/p-2...ay-treats.aspx

!! I'm going to check the market first but I'm probably ordering these tomorrow. Yes!
#8 Old 12-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Beginner

Wow thanks! Those look amazing. Yummmmmmmmmmm
#9 Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Endangered Species chocolate is really good
#10 Old 12-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

Endangered Species chocolate is really good

BEWARE THE ENDANGERED SPECIES CHOCOLATE.

It has dangerously addictive properties. T__T

I pretty much have the shakes right now cuz I'm out...

OH, and the dish candy thing... Umm, this year I'm going to make some. I have these cute little Christmas candy molds, and my Wal-Mart carries store brand bittersweet chocolate chips that are accidentally vegan... Wrap in cellophane, tie with a seasonally colored bow, and voi-la! Fancy Christmas chocolates.
#11 Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah gets some little organic dark chocolates. Most candy, even if vegan, is poison.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#12 Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post

BEWARE THE ENDANGERED SPECIES CHOCOLATE.

It has dangerously addictive properties. T__T

I pretty much have the shakes right now cuz I'm out...

OH, and the dish candy thing... Umm, this year I'm going to make some. I have these cute little Christmas candy molds, and my Wal-Mart carries store brand bittersweet chocolate chips that are accidentally vegan... Wrap in cellophane, tie with a seasonally colored bow, and voi-la! Fancy Christmas chocolates.

hey that's an even better idea! michael's has all kinds of candy molds. Do you just melt the chocolate and pour it in the mold or is there some sort of recipe? I'd love to do that. That can even double as gifts!

genius!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page