Vegan Cupcakes take over the World! - Page 8 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#211 Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 PM

I just ordered this book from Amazon and can't wait for it to arrive! I baked some basic vanilla cupcakes from this book that was offered as a sample recipe on a website and they turned out wonderfully! Can't wait to try out some of the more elaborate recipes in the book once it arrives!

My Vegan Blog - http://wheretheveggiesare.blogspot.com

Tumblr - http://runouthearts.tumblr.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by loolie View Post

I just ordered this book from Amazon and can't wait for it to arrive! I baked some basic vanilla cupcakes from this book that was offered as a sample recipe on a website and they turned out wonderfully! Can't wait to try out some of the more elaborate recipes in the book once it arrives!

I love this book and I'm not really a dessert person. I love the vanilla ones!
#213 Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Question, guys.

I'm making the rum raisin cupcakes for a BBQ this weekend and I'll be making them without the raisins (none of us like them very much). The question is, do I still use the entire 3 tbsp of rum called for (2 to soak the raisins in and 1 in the batter itself) and just put it all in the batter, or do I cut down on it since there won't be raisins to soak it up?

I don't want the cupcakes to be soggy, which is my main concern, so I figured I should ask before I try these.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#214 Old 08-28-2009, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

We have a local vegan cupcake store, that has amazing cupcakes too.

I think I hate you...

(kidding, of course!! Hate = jealous!)
#215 Old 08-28-2009, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojie View Post

Question, guys.

I'm making the rum raisin cupcakes for a BBQ this weekend and I'll be making them without the raisins (none of us like them very much). The question is, do I still use the entire 3 tbsp of rum called for (2 to soak the raisins in and 1 in the batter itself) and just put it all in the batter, or do I cut down on it since there won't be raisins to soak it up?

I don't want the cupcakes to be soggy, which is my main concern, so I figured I should ask before I try these.

I would propbably leave it out. If anything, I would add maybe 1 of the 3tbsp for an extra punch. I don't think it would negatively affect the batter consistency. But then, I almost NEVER follow a recipe exactly, anyway!
#216 Old 08-28-2009, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I would propbably leave it out. If anything, I would add maybe 1 of the 3tbsp for an extra punch. I don't think it would negatively affect the batter consistency. But then, I almost NEVER follow a recipe exactly, anyway!

I agree. I'd probably do 1 T or just leave it out. I'm not big on the flavor of alcohol in my desserts, but if you want more of the rum flavoring, probably put a little in.
#217 Old 08-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay, thanks, guys!

#218 Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I am borrowing this book from the library this weekend! It is my birthday next week and it is customary at my work to bring in a treat for everyone. I want to make a batch of cupcakes from this book!!

What would be the best recipe to wow all of my omni co-workers?!
#219 Old 08-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I made the rum cupcakes today! I only tried the batter, glaze and frosting, so I'm not sure yet how they're going to be when they're put together, but the individual parts are all delicious!

I think the rum buttercream frosting might be some of the best frosting I've ever had. It'd be delicious on practically any kind of cake.

I ended up using a combination of Captain Morgan (cupcakes and frosting) and Captain Morgan Private Stock (glaze), left out the raisins like I mentioned before and substituted cinnamon for the nutmeg/mace the recipe calls for (since I don't like nutmeg unless it's mixed with cinnamon and other spices).

Delicious!

#220 Old 08-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay! Glad they turned out ok!
#221 Old 08-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJVeggie View Post

I am borrowing this book from the library this weekend! It is my birthday next week and it is customary at my work to bring in a treat for everyone. I want to make a batch of cupcakes from this book!!

What would be the best recipe to wow all of my omni co-workers?!

The basic chocolate ones with chocolate buttercream frosting. I made these for my omni board game group last week and none of them could believe they were vegan (let alone that I had made everything by hand that afternoon). I used a pastry bag with the large star tip to pipe on the frosting and then I used a microplane to shave a little dark vegan chocolate over the top of them. Way tasty and I think they turned out the best out of all that I had made! Note - I didn't use all the confectioner's sugar called for in the frosting. I think it ends up too sweet. Just keep tasting as you add it in by the 1/2 cup.
#222 Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to make the chocolate mocha cupcakes tomorrow for a colleague's birthday on Monday. I'll take a picture!
#223 Old 09-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone made the apple cider cupcakes? I am planning on making them tomorrow.
#224 Old 10-21-2009, 03:58 AM
Veggie Regular

How did the apple cider cupcakes work out??

I'm making some cupcakes for Friday, and it was a toss-up between apple cider and pumpkin chocolate chip. I decided to make the pumpkin chocolate chip ones, since I heard so much about them in this thread, and fresh pumpkins are abundant right about now!
#225 Old 10-21-2009, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

I'm making some cupcakes for Friday, and it was a toss-up between apple cider and pumpkin chocolate chip. I decided to make the pumpkin chocolate chip ones, since I heard so much about them in this thread, and fresh pumpkins are abundant right about now!

You're using fresh pumpkin??!!

#226 Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

To me pumpkin and chocolate (dark) is a great combination!

I eat homemade (vegan) pumpkin pie with vegan chocolate ice cream.
#227 Old 10-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

That sounds good, Begonia! I had never thought of doing that.

The pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes are in the oven right now, and if the leftover batter is any indication, these are going to be GOOD!!!
#228 Old 10-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

They were good! I took pictures, so I'll try to post one later. I will say they were a bit more labor intensive than some of the other recipes though. I even made the caramel drizzle.

The recipe says to spray the cupcake liners with non-stick spray, so I did, and the paper liners were kind of greasy. The foil ones were fine though - I recommend using those for this recipe. I saw someone else post online somewhere that they didn't use the spray though, and they stuck to the liners.

Oh, and I got 12 regular sized cupcakes and 17 mini cupcakes out of it. I was surprised because usually there is only enough batter for 12 regular sized cupcakes in this cookbook, but there was definitely more batter in this recipe!
#229 Old 10-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Must stay out of this thread or gain 20 lbs.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#230 Old 10-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I made the pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes with the cinnamon frosting today. They came out really really good! I wound up using pumpkin pie mix instead of plain raw canned pumpkin because that's what I had on hand, but it was really delicious! the cinnamon icing tasted like the cinnamon frosting you put on cinnamon rolls. It was friggin delicious!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#231 Old 10-25-2009, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I made the pumpkin chocolate chip ones on Thursday, and while they were good, they were a little muffin-y for my tastes. I think it was because they didn't rise as much as they were supposed to; I prepared all the batter, portioned it out into the cupcake tins, then realised I hadn't preheated the oven!! So I had to put the cupcakes into the oven while it was preheating. But the flavour was very good, and even pumpkin pie-haters at work liked these! I hate pumpkin pie as well, but these were really good.
#232 Old 10-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

I'll be making cupcakes very soon, I bought a Kitchen Aid Mixer and some ghost cupcake papers
#233 Old 10-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I'll be making cupcakes very soon, I bought a Kitchen Aid Mixer and some ghost cupcake papers

Kitchenaid Mixers!!! I've thought about taking the V6 out of my 4runner and sticking a Kitchenaid mixer in there as it would probably be even more powerful!! Those things rule!!

The Big Bad.
#234 Old 10-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

Kitchenaid Mixers!!! I've thought about taking the V6 out of my 4runner and sticking a Kitchenaid mixer in there as it would probably be even more powerful!! Those things rule!!

Do you have one?
#235 Old 10-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Do you have one?

THAT'S a funny question!! We do. The Artisan 120 volts 325 watts!!! They sell some of the lower end ones that aren't as powerful. We wanted the Ford Excursion of mixers and that bad boy can out mix El Diablo!!

The Big Bad.
#236 Old 10-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

THAT'S a funny question!! We do. The Artisan 120 volts 325 watts!!! They sell some of the lower end ones that aren't as powerful. We wanted the Ford Excursion of mixers and that bad boy can out mix El Diablo!!

#237 Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It can out mix but CAN'T outlook him like yours. I wish we had a colored one. I wish we were rich like some people........................

The Big Bad.
#238 Old 10-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

It can out mix but CAN'T outlook him like yours. I wish we had a colored one. I wish we were rich like some people........................

I wish I was rich too, my Sugar Daddy bought it for me.
#239 Old 10-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Old farts like me don't have Sugar Daddies! I'll have to wait for Santa.

btw Heather, I made Elvis cupcakes this evening. Wow!
#240 Old 10-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I just made the basic chocolate cupcakes for a bake sale tomorrow. And a little off-topic, I also made the chocolate-chocolate chip walnut cookies from Veganomicon tonight as well. It's a charity chocolate sale, so I made all things chocolate for it! I had to taste test everything I made, of course, so now I'm all chocolated out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page