Vegan Cupcakes take over the World! - Page 7 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#181 Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzebed View Post

thanks to danakscully64's cupcake pics and link to the recipes, i decided to make them. i didn't do the mint frosting. i would have liked to but the husband wanted to try them and he has a hatred for all things mint. this recipe came out amazing. i used the fluffy buttercream frosting recipe for the icing. yums! amazingly good. best cupcake i ever had. i suck at decorating, but here's what they look like:

I made this version (basic chocolate with buttercream, both from VCTOTW) and took them to work.... I didn't get any, they were gone before I got to go on my break Everyone said they were awesome! I'm going to make them again for my house. If I make them for work again, I will definitely double the recipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwalkersgirl View Post

He doesn't like mint? Damn! I don't know anyone that doesn't like mint, to my knowledge hehe.

Your cup looks scrumptious!! hehe

he tells everyone he's allergic to mint but i just think he really hates it. i would have made the mint but he was really curious to try it. he thought he'd be able to tell me they suck but he really loved them. thanks

danakscully64-oh no, you didn't get to taste them. they are really good. the frosting is delicious and light. its worth it to make them again.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#183 Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

danakscully64-oh no, you didn't get to taste them. they are really good. the frosting is delicious and light. its worth it to make them again.

I ate some batter, so it was okay I was eating the frosting too. Nom Nom Nom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#184 Old 04-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Can someone give me a good receipe for vegetarian carrot cupcakes with frosting?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#185 Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I ate some batter, so it was okay I was eating the frosting too. Nom Nom Nom.

mmm, the frosting. i must say the nice thing about making vegan cupcakes is that you can lick the batter without worrying about getting a food borne illness. i was so paranoid with using eggs before that i'd never get to taste the batter.

#186 Old 04-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Can someone give me a good receipe for vegetarian carrot cupcakes with frosting?

I haven't tried it, but I searched and found this: http://www.grouprecipes.com/44964/be...rrot-cake.html

Usually when I turn cakes into cupcakes, I lower the cook time. You just have to keep an eye on them.

Quote:

mmm, the frosting. i must say the nice thing about making vegan cupcakes is that you can lick the batter without worrying about getting a food borne illness. i was so paranoid with using eggs before that i'd never get to taste the batter.

Oh man, I ate SO MUCH batter growing up, with eggs. I never got sick. I would rather eat the batter over the cupcake any day.
#187 Old 04-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I haven't tried it, but I searched and found this: http://www.grouprecipes.com/44964/be...rrot-cake.html

Usually when I turn cakes into cupcakes, I lower the cook time. You just have to keep an eye on them.

Thanks.

You think it's possible to use dairy alternatives for the frosting?

I doubt that there is any tofutti at my local shop.

Quote:

Oh man, I ate SO MUCH batter growing up, with eggs. I never got sick. I would rather eat the batter over the cupcake any day.

The dancing fruits and vegetables will show how much I agree with you.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#188 Old 04-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thanks.

You think it's possible to use dairy alternatives for the frosting?

I doubt that there is any tofutti at my local shop.

The dancing fruits and vegetables will show how much I agree with you.

Would a simple buttercream frosting work? I've never had carrot cake, but it usually has cream cheese frosting, right? I have a great recipe if buttercream would work (I think it's sweeter than the usual frosting).

Woo-hoo! I love dancing produce!!!
#189 Old 04-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Would a simple buttercream frosting work? I've never had carrot cake, but it usually has cream cheese frosting, right? I have a great recipe if buttercream would work (I think it's sweeter than the usual frosting).

Woo-hoo! I love dancing produce!!!

Oh, I'd be delighted to know that recipe, since I've never eaten buttercream frosting.

#190 Old 04-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Oh, I'd be delighted to know that recipe, since I've never eaten buttercream frosting.

Iz nom!

-1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening

-1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine, we use Earth Balance

-3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy

-1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

-1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer

1. Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.

2. Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.

(I admit that I didn't beat it nearly that long)
#191 Old 04-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Darn you americans, why don't ya just switch to the metric system?

#192 Old 04-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

+1 and I'm American!
#193 Old 04-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Darn you americans, why don't ya just switch to the metric system?

Because the metric system SUCKS! Yes, I said it
#194 Old 04-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

after i took a sanitation course, there was no way i was eating raw eggs ever. that course pretty much ruined a lot foods for me.

envy-i'm big into carrot cake and i think that buttercream frosting would complement it nicely.

#195 Old 04-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

after i took a sanitation course, there was no way i was eating raw eggs ever. that course pretty much ruined a lot foods for me.

envy-i'm big into carrot cake and i think that buttercream frosting would complement it nicely.

The odds are still in your favor if you eat it, I think I have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident locally than getting sick off eggs

I want to make carrot cake... there is a recipe in Vegan with Vengeance I want to try.
#196 Old 07-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I am thinking about making the pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes. I don't feel like backreading. Has anyone tried these? I have everything necessary. I'm pretty sure I'm going for it! I have a mad craving for something pumpkin.
#197 Old 07-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I completely forgot to post this in here, but I made VCTOTW cookies 'n' cream cupcakes for my summer school class and the kids loved them.

One of the TA's in the class really loved them and was surprised to find out later that they were vegan.

I'm thinking about making the carrot cake ones for myself. We took a vote and no one else in the class wanted them, go figure.

I'm also going to be making the rum cupcakes for a friend of mine who's coming home from boot camp soon. He loves all things rum flavored and I promised to make some a long while back and never got around to it. I'm keeping a few for myself, though. I love rum.
Purp likes this.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#198 Old 07-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I've made the cookies n' cream cupcakes before. They were a bit too sweet for me, but my students loved them.

I have the pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes in the oven now. I must say that the best thing about vegan baking is that I get to lick the bowl when I'm finished with no worries! Yahoo! I can't wait to try the finished product.
#199 Old 07-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaganNC View Post

I am thinking about making the pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes. I don't feel like backreading. Has anyone tried these? I have everything necessary. I'm pretty sure I'm going for it! I have a mad craving for something pumpkin.

yes, these are one of my faves! Let me know how you like them.
#200 Old 07-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegal View Post

yes, these are one of my faves! Let me know how you like them.

I liked them a lot! I had one before they even cooled completely! I like that they aren't very heavy (overly sweet).
#201 Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I liked them a lot! I had one before they even cooled completely! I like that they aren't very heavy (overly sweet).

oh good. I like that they aren't overly sweet too. I used to make them without the chocolate chips as well and loved them that way too.
#202 Old 07-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have the pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes in the oven now. I must say that the best thing about vegan baking is that I get to lick the bowl when I'm finished with no worries! Yahoo! I can't wait to try the finished product.

I want to make these next. Funny about licking the bowl because I thought the same. :P I almost made some tonight because I have the ingredients for a few, but I was too lazy.
#203 Old 07-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, I've just bought the book and the cakes look amazing. Can someone let me know, as I'm in the UK whether the cupcakes are muffin-sized or smaller. I ask because in the UK, cupcakes (buns) are quite a bit smaller than muffins but the book says to put the cupcake liners in muffin tins, which suggests they are muffin-sized.

Hope that makes sense! I just don't want to over- or under-cook them by getting the sizes wrong.
#204 Old 07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I would say they are muffin-sized.
#205 Old 07-28-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekaterine View Post

Hi, I've just bought the book and the cakes look amazing. Can someone let me know, as I'm in the UK whether the cupcakes are muffin-sized or smaller. I ask because in the UK, cupcakes (buns) are quite a bit smaller than muffins but the book says to put the cupcake liners in muffin tins, which suggests they are muffin-sized.

Hope that makes sense! I just don't want to over- or under-cook them by getting the sizes wrong.

Muffin sized. I got muffin liners and a tin from Morrisons and that size is pretty much perfect...although I rarely get 12 out of a recipe because I tend to overfill!

#206 Old 07-28-2009, 05:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekaterine View Post

I used to cook them in a bun tin, largely because that was all I had, and they came out very well, although I got around 14 rather 12. I've now bought proper muffin tins and did 3 batches of cupcakes last week for a friend's wedding, and they also came out perfectly!

So, I wouldn't worry too much about them cooking enough, you get to check on them anyway, as cooking depends on your oven and the exact temperature, too. I'd say go for the pan that will yield the result you're after. The ones in the book are made using muffin tins and muffin liners, so if you're aiming for that effect, use a muffin tin. But the bun sized ones look cute too!
#207 Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Brill, thanks for all the help. Muffins are bigger so I'll probably make them as I'm greedy
#208 Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

okay, I just couldn't read the whole thread... but I wanted to chime in and say that the mexican hot chocolate one is my favourite, with the chocolate mousse toping! MMmmm!

We have a local vegan cupcake store, that has amazing cupcakes too. I just had one that had lavander filling, with lemon cream cheese toping. OMG It has got to be the best thing I've ever put in my mouth!
#209 Old 08-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
just had one that had lavander filling, with lemon cream cheese toping

That does sound amazing! I keep trying to persuade my DH to take me to The Screaming Carrot in Nottingham cos I hear their cakes are pretty amazing. Although my book is here so I really should try and bake my own now...
#210 Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmm, I just made the lemon macadamia cupcakes today. I think they're my favourite cupcakes from the book so far! If you like lemon-flavoured desserts, I highly recommend these cupcakes! I added some vegan white chocolate chips as well, and it was fantastic!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page