Gluten free foods? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-27-2008, 12:15 PM

After a long journey, I've found out that I'm gluten intolerant (which explains a lot that has been going on with me, whew). So now I'm really struggling with what to eat, what foods to avoid....along with being a vegetarian. I also don't tolerate dairy very well, so I'm wondering what is LEFT to eat?

Any suggestions? THANKS!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Banned

there are quite a few bits of info that you might find helpful in these threads (i've got a killer headache or i'd try and type something new):

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=77447

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=77015

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=66939

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=54390

hope that helps a bit.
#3 Old 10-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Beginner

i'm celiac, lactose intolerant, seems like slightly alergic to casein too, also for now cant eat soy or peanuts. i saw a nutritionist since my dr. told me to drink milk since i have a broken arm that hasnt healed.

i honestly dont recommend too many fake gluten free products because if you read the nutrition label, they arent very nutritious. my diet is basically fruits, vegetables, lentils, beans, split peas, nuts and especially seeds like pumpkin seeds, sesame, and hemp. my carbs are usually potatoes, corn, rice and quinoa. most fake breads i find aweful except the rice tortillas/pizza crusts. i usually get corn crips as a bread or soy crisps. for bread cravings i used to get sticky rice. tasted glutenous to me. for hot cereal theres a good gluten free cereal from bobs red mill i think. has a grits type of flavor. i prefer almond milk and make my own hemp milk. the hemp milk in containers taste bad to me. theres a lot of gluten free foods at roots that i love! my favorite brownies have eggs in them though so i dont call myself vegan anymore. i rarely eat them. oh, eating out isnt so fun. no more meetups at these chinese vegan places. best places are mexican. salads w/ beans, veggies, homemade salsa, avocado. or its steamed veggies and baked potato. eating out isnt fun anymore. i live my life around activities now rather then food events.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 AM

Thanks for your help! I think it's going to take me some time to get used to what I can and cannot eat - and yeah, eating out is going to be tough!
#5 Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I made a gluten, dairy, peanut free chocolate birthday cake for my friend that has celiac's. I wimped out and bought the cherrybrook farms cake mix and chocolate frosting. It was absolutely delicious. I was anticipating it to be pretty bad because I tried their "chewy bars" before and wasn't a fan. The cake though was one of the moist and richest cakes I've ever had. Totally vegan and gluten free. All the omni's at the birthday party ate it even though we got a regular non-vegan cake for them and even wanted to take pieces home. They were all in shock at how good it was. The frosting mix called for soymilk to be mixed in but we used water instead and it worked out great.

So if you are in the mood for some gluten free cake that's quick and easy then I'd recommend it. Of course its not the healthiest thing to eat but for a special occasion or a little treat it works
#6 Old 10-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

How does milk help with a broken arm?

Blend up some comfrey leaves and rub them on your arm

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#7 Old 10-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

My nephew has a gluten allergy, and my sister gets him plenty of gluten-free goodies from Whole Foods...can be pricey at times, but he enjoys them. Today he had gluten-free pasta (made from quinoa).
#8 Old 10-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

How does milk help with a broken arm?

Blend up some comfrey leaves and rub them on your arm

it doesnt! it helps to give me sinus infections tho. but cant put comfrey on. my cast is from my fingertips to my shoulder. been in a cast for 4 months! so now my elbow and wrist are frozen.......grrrrrr.... theres a high chance of a negative immune response to donor graft so thats probably why it didnt work.

hey, wanted to point out being gluten free has positives! for one you learn to cook twice as good as any restaurant. you have no other choice lol.

another, unless your rich and can afford all the gluten free items, you're forced to eat whole foods and much healthier. then so you dont feel left out, youre forced to live life and take up new ACTivities rather then living for the next meal. so my quality of life increased and my health/energy increased.

ok the bad part is not being able to partake in the office parties and being a pain at family get togethers, feeling like you have an ED when eating out. so be prepared to bringing your own meal with you. watch out for barley malt in soy-milks and gluten in bouillons. i was kinda used to not being a part of most food related things since i was vegan, but was sad to have to stop the vegan meetups. so i started new hobbies non food related.

also hard was giving up the bread. give it 6 months and your cravings go away. i am more then happy to be a support since it was hard for me.

if all else fails, consider some raw meet ups. except for the nama shoya, its usually gluten free and vegan. and usually they list ingredients.
#9 Old 10-29-2008, 12:04 PM

I was at the grocery store last night and checked out the gluten-free items (they have a special section for it). I'm really craving cookies, but the gluten-free cookies looked absolutely awful. Okay, I know I shouldn't judge them by just LOOKING, but at $4 for about 9 cookies - I wasn't taking the chance.

I might have to skip over to Whole Foods this week.
#10 Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Beginner

i will remember next time im in roots the brand name of the GOOD GF cookies!

so you are just intolerant? does that ever go away? i guess you have same symptoms as celiac but arent?
#11 Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM

Yes, I'm intolerant......bad reactions when I eat gluten (bloating, stomach aches, constipation). I'm so glad we finally figured it out!
#12 Old 10-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Beginner

i think i might just be intolerant too since the celiac profile numbers were low. i havent had any gluten though. but i searched it on the web and the symptoms are the same, treatment is the same just 1 in 7 of intolerants are celiac. i thought i was since my blood work tests were always low until i gave up gluten but i guess absorption problems occur in intolerances too.
#13 Old 10-30-2008, 12:43 PM

Do you have problems with sugar too?

I had a few black bean chips last night and didn't have a problem, but I think they are gluten-free (corn/bean based). It's going to take me a while to get used to this!
#14 Old 10-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Beginner

i'm ADHD so sugar sensitive. it makes me really hyper! nothing serious. i just watch it unless i'm going to burn it off. i seem to be sensitive to a lot of things. dairy congests my head and makes my eyes and throat itchy, beans and lentils make me bloated if i eat more then 1/2 cup and my muscles recover poorly on a bean/nuts/seed protein based diet, fried foods can give me the runs, gluten gives me the runs and all sorts of GI symptoms, etc., wheat gives me severe congestion/sinus problems too. my vit. D is low and i supplement too so worried somethings up.
#15 Old 11-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Beginner

well i'm gluten intolerant too and i even have ibs so i can't eat raw veggies or too much beans/legumes. normal gluten intolerance really isn't that hard once you get used to it. i eat a lot of rice, potatoes, and rice pasta instead of bread or standard pasta. whole foods even has some brown rice tortillas that i use for wraps.

i make a lot of stir fry with wheat free soy sauce. you can use tofu, veggies, and either rice or rice pasta. you can make everything with pasta just like normal, just use rice pasta. there are a lot of varieties. corn, quinoa, and brown or white rice. for breakfast you can have rice or corn cereal and grits or quinoa flakes. there are also a lot of gluten free brands of pancake mix.

there are even a couple gluten free faux meat products. amy's has a few gluten free veggie burgers, but they're hard to find. and there's a place in nyc i go to all the time called mah way (i think) that has great gluten free fake chicken, you can even order it online.

as far as restaurants go mexican and indian food are your best bet. just get corn tortillas and don't eat the naan.

good luck.
#16 Old 11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Beginner

has anyone tried this pasta made of beans? its expensive but high in protein. i donno if its yucky or not.
#17 Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk View Post

has anyone tried this pasta made of beans? its expensive but high in protein. i donno if its yucky or not.

which pasta is that then?
#18 Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

As far as gluten-free bread, DEFINITELY go with Ezekiel 4:9. It's made with sprouted grains, no flour, etc. It's super cool and really tasty (best when it's toasted).

It IS a bit expensive, but definitely worth the price. I love the stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page