Marmite! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I always detested the flavor of nutritional yeast and finding fortified soy or rice milk in my neck of the woods is pretty much hit or miss. In my never ending quest to maintain my B12 levels without resorting to supplements, I decided to order a bottle of Marmite as a final option.

The bottle sat on my kitchen counter a few days while I pondered its existence, the meaning of life, the grains of sand in the Sahara and just about any other reason I could think of to avoid actually having to taste it. The color alone was enough to make me debate the wisdom of my choice. Today, I forced myself to open the bottle and sample it. It was awesome! I'm partial to salty even though I avoid adding it to my food and watch my sodium intake. I took a teaspoonful and added some boiling water to make a tea out of it and had that with a veg sandwich.

So...aside from spreading it on bread, does anyone have any good recipes that use Marmite? I did a quick google but didn't see too many appealing vegan friendly recipes. I'd be forever in your debt if anyone could share any tried and true recipes that use this stuff.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the proper way to spread it is to butter the bread first. I have some marmite and really like it as a bread spread. I thought that was its only use. I was surprised you used it as tea, since you only use a tiny amount.

(My doggie is afraid of your wolf!)
#3 Old 10-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

I think the proper way to spread it is to butter the bread first. I have some marmite and really like it as a bread spread. I thought that was its only use. I was surprised you used it as tea, since you only use a tiny amount.

(My doggie is afraid of your wolf!)

Doh...I dumped a heaping teaspoon of the stuff into a soup mug and mixed boiling water into it. It was pretty good though lol.

Aww :\\ I'll try to find a more benevolent wolf picture so your doggie doesn't get scared.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Banned

like your hot drink, you can use it as a rich veggie stock, too. makes an amazing lentil and tomato soup, and is excellent with a splodge of ketchup and some herbs for a flavour base in shepherdless pie, and in things like cornish pasties- cos its so deep, rich and earthy.

its good on sandwiches.... marmite and salad, marmite and grated carrot (and hummus, even?!) marmite, tofu and cucumber, marmite, roasted red pepper, mushroom, tomato and onion, marmite and faux meat, etc. toasted sandwiches are good too- grilled 'cheese' and marmite (like a cheats welsh rarebit), marmite on toast with baked beans piled on the top, etc.

when i was younger we used to spread it onto rolled out puff pastry, cut it into strips, and then roll them up into spirals, or twist and plait them, then bake, for savoury cheesestick type things. those were very good. probably not amazingly healthy with the amount of pastry we got through, but decidedly tasty.
#5 Old 10-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

what is marmite?
#6 Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Banned

its a savoury english spread made from leftover stuff from beer brewing. it looks like tar. smells blargh. tastes LUSH. http://www.marmite.co.uk/love/history/
#7 Old 10-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

They now sell marmite rice cakes. They be gooooddddd.

I never used to like marmite, it was too bitter. but since getting a free coffee machine at work then giving up sugar, im now used to black sugarfree coffee so marmite aint that bitter haha
#8 Old 10-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in love with vegemite! Which is pretty much the same thing as marmite. I spread it on crackers, any kind of crackers and eat it this way every day and have done since I was a kid

I would probably eat it straight from the jar if I didn't have an alternative....

And yes- marmite tea is a bit weird! *goes to try it*

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#9 Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I've only tried it once (don't think I'm a fan!) so I'm not sure how else to use it except bread. I like the hot drink idea though...

I know it contains b12 so that is great, but it is a decent amount? How much a day gives you all your b12? If it is just a teaspoon i think I could deal with that because it might work out cheaper than a supplement!

ETA: Just looked at the marmite website and all their sandwich ideas involve cheese... so I'm presuming that cheese is the best flavour combo. I don't really like to use the vegan cheese stuff so do you think hummus would go well? I might experiment!
#10 Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Banned

I've posted a bunch of different Marmite recipes in a previous thread:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=93534
#11 Old 10-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifu View Post

I know it contains b12 so that is great, but it is a decent amount? How much a day gives you all your b12? If it is just a teaspoon i think I could deal with that because it might work out cheaper than a supplement!

According to their website, one 4g serving contains 60% of the daily requirement which (I think) is less than a teaspoonful and certainly less than the amount I bunged into the hot water for my drink yesterday lol.

Thank you Hoodedclawjen and Mr. Falafel for all the food ideas! I had been planning on making a pot of mushroom soup today anyway but I'm going to add marmite to my veg stock for a deeper flavor. This might replace miso in several of my recipes where I want that salty rich flavor and darker color. Now I'm off to the webstore to buy a case of it

#12 Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

Sadly, although Marmite is a great source of B12 and adds wonderful flavour to foods, it does contain a large amount of sodium. One school district has banned it from kids cafeterias because of the high salt content: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7662078.stm
#13 Old 10-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Beginner

Not to be a downer, but doesn't Unilever (the company that makes Marmite) test on animals?

http://pleasebekind.com/unileverpage.html

http://www.talkinpets.com/BuyFromCompaniesNOT.htm
#14 Old 10-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Vegan Police Officer

There's a Marmite Cookbook: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmite-Cook.../dp/1904573096

And the same guy wrote a book on Marmite Tips: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Book-...174588-2359133

I would suspect that they're not too vegan though. Wouldn't take the risk of buying them.

Marmite has existed for over 100 years now. And it will probably last for another 10 hundred thousand years. It's that good!!!

About the animal testing post post made by computergirl. You're going to find it hard to find any company that does not profit directly or indirectly from animal testing. Every bloody damn thing in the world is tested on animals. Probably even the drinking water from your tap has been tested.
#15 Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

There's a Marmite Cookbook: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmite-Cook.../dp/1904573096

And the same guy wrote a book on Marmite Tips: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Book-...174588-2359133

I would suspect that they're not too vegan though. Wouldn't take the risk of buying them.

Marmite has existed for over 100 years now. And it will probably last for another 10 hundred thousand years. It's that good!!!

About the animal testing post post made by computergirl. You're going to find it hard to find any company that does not profit directly or indirectly from animal testing. Every bloody damn thing in the world is tested on animals. Probably even the drinking water from your tap has been tested.

The recipes I've posted before came from that Marmite Book
#16 Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by computergirl View Post

Not to be a downer, but doesn't Unilever (the company that makes Marmite) test on animals?

http://pleasebekind.com/unileverpage.html

http://www.talkinpets.com/BuyFromCompaniesNOT.htm

Some of the health/whole food shops do a marmite alternative and most of the larger supermarkets do their own version, if you want to avoid unilever .
#17 Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 AM

mmm I am most definately a marmite fan, and since making the switch to vegan I find myself relying more and more on it (that and peanut butter!).

My marmite recipe is for a simple but tasty and filling macaroni stew:

heat veg oil in large saucepan, add chopped onion,carrot, potatoes and leeks, fry for 5 mins or so with lid on.

Add enough cold water (approx 1 pt) to cover, bring to boil then simmer for approx 15 mins.

At same time cook off approx 300gms (very rough estimate - Iusually guess) macaroni or other pasta and drain.

Add frozen peas to vegetable pan cook for further 5 mins until veggies all cooked then add as much marmite as you like (prob about 1-2 teaspoons) and the cooked pasta, stir and cook for a couple more minutes.

can be served as it is,or is nice with soy sauce sprinkled on or with grated cheese for non-vegans. just right for winter!
#18 Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Sadly, although Marmite is a great source of B12 and adds wonderful flavour to foods, it does contain a large amount of sodium. One school district has banned it from kids cafeterias because of the high salt content: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7662078.stm

you can get salt free version (not marmite brand) from health food shops but unfortunately it tastes nothing like the real thing!! fooled my kids when they were younger and hadn't tasted the real thing but even they won't touch it any more!

I never use salt in cooking and we don't eat many processed foods, so for us the benfits of marmite outweigh the high salt content.
#19 Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Meganmom for the pasta recipe. That sounds like another good and easy meal now that it's getting colder out. I also avoid salt and most processed foods so I can get away with the higher sodium also.

The cookbooks look more promising than I thought. When I googled, it seemed like most recipes were meat based so I figured it was hopeless.

I would love to avoid buying from companies like Unilever but I currently live in health food store hell and I'm lucky the few supermarkets around here carry anything I would want to eat outside of the staples like beans and lentils, let alone private label marmite :\\

#20 Old 10-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

wow

i did not know marmite was B12!

YAY

ew..with hot water in a mug???

are u kidding me???

was it nice
#21 Old 10-24-2008, 04:21 PM

I do like marmite......must buy more. Marmite is very high in B12 but also high in salt. I believe it's one of the few Unilever products I buy.

As an aside if you're after B12......I have Waitrose (UK) bran flakes with soymilk for breakfast every morning at work (Hey....if people can have cigarette breaks then I can have cereals at my desk!) and that has 200% of the RDA of B12. It's fortified but as long as get my allowance it's good isn't it?
#22 Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know why mixing it with hot water sounds so odd?

It's basically like a soup-base/broth/bullion - and that's how you'd make a cup of hot broth to drink, right? so why would Marmite broth be any stranger than beef broth or chicken broth? Dunno, just my observation.

I LOVE the stuff, by the way.
#23 Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Yeah, that's definitely a concern for kids at school, but for adult veg*ns who are mostly preparing their own food at home from scratch, unless they're adding a lot of salt into their food while it's cooking, a small bit of Marmite everyday is not going to raise our sodium levels too much....well, it never has done with mine anyway
#24 Old 10-25-2008, 06:57 AM

Marmite ROCKS, though it is dastardly salty. Some healthfood shop 'yeast extracts' are far milder.

As an aside, did anyone ever notice those fantastic Marmite Stock Cubes that they brought out for a while? They were utterly fab. Talk about vegetarian OXO!!!

My gawds, I think they were quite possibly one of the most startlingly 'you wouldn't know the diff. from meat' products that I've experienced in my life. I was grieved that they stopped making them so quick. At least I've not seen them for yonks!

I want a Marmite recipe book....
#25 Old 10-25-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I don't know why mixing it with hot water sounds so odd?

It sounds completely sensible to me! Just like a veggie style hot 'beefy' Bovril drink. In fact, I've never tried it, but now I will... Especially if you're on a diet and want something warming and savoury to fill an empty tum.
#26 Old 10-25-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

Are you suggesting then that it is pointless to exclude this from your diet if you are a vegan because animal testing can't be avoided or are you just making an observation?
#27 Old 10-26-2008, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy NATEX SAVOURY YEAST SPREAD from the HFS. I try not to buy from Unilever and I think it tastes better. They have a low salt one but I am scared to try it. I actually call it marmite instead of Natex but my husband (who hates it) calls it dingo spunk. ha ha

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#28 Old 10-26-2008, 04:50 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

Are you suggesting then that it is pointless to exclude this from your diet if you are a vegan because animal testing can't be avoided or are you just making an observation?

Observation.

That being said, I reckon there are a few tiny items in the world that have not been tested (yet) on animals. And it's possible that Marmite is one of those!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page