Soymilk question - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I switched to drinking soymilk just about 2 months ago.

I've been dealing with the same problem though and I can't figure it out. The container says "stays fresh for 7-10 days after opening." Well I open it, and then forget how long it's been...

How can you tell when Soymilk is no longer "fresh?" Does it smell bad or taste bad? Can it make you sick?

I do notice that it looks a little darker in colour near the end of the carton, but not sure if that's my imagination.

I will start writing the date on the carton when I open it, but in the meantime... just wondering what the signs of unfresh soymilk are, and if it will give me a tummyache
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Not really sure. I'm assuming you're talking about Silk. I usually go through mine pretty quick, but I think I've used it for up to 14 days after opening and didn't get sick off it. I dunno, shake well and buy often.
#3 Old 10-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it can get small, tiny clumps in it.

I can't remember if my boyfriend poured soy milk or his cow milk into the blender the time I'm thinking about... it was a little chunky

I've noticed it can smell even sweeter the older it is, though that might be my imagination too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Banned

i used to have the same problem, so now i keep a sharpie type pen by the fridge, and write the date on the carton when i open it. if you prefer, you could count ahead 7 days and write your own 'use by' date on there instead.

its probably darker at the end of the carton cos of sediment- maybe a bit thicker too- the heavier stuff sinks to the bottom. shaking it every time you use it can help avoid that.

yep, soyamilk can go bad and hurt your tummy. once opened, air gets in, and bacteria start to grow. it might well look and smell a bit funny- curdled, chunky, smell 'off', etc, but its not quite like milk dairy does- that seems to turn really quickly, to me- one minute its fine, the next, foul.

i've seen some soya milk that was reeaaaallly past it, it split into a watery liquid, and thick, just solid, (puddingy/silken tofu consistancy really) beige gacky chunks, and a nice layer of mould on it. was really nice. or not. blargh. but that took a month or so to happen, so its maybe not something you'll have the pleasure of seeing for yourself.
#5 Old 10-24-2008, 05:11 PM

I've never knowingly had bad soymilk and can happily leave it for 7-10 days. It's hard to smell if it's off when it doesn't smell that great to start with. I have also wondered what happens when it goes off. At least with cow's milk you get a very clear signal within a few days.
#6 Old 10-25-2008, 10:47 AM

It deffo lasts lots longer than cow milk. I don't get through a lot, 'cos I'm eating alone most of the time, so a litre goes a long way with muesli. It lasts between a week and two in my experience. But when I've been away from home for a while, I can come home to lumpy soya yoghourt. Like most stuff in my fridge or cupboard, I use my nose...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page