favorite ways to use bok choy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

what are your favorite ways to us bok choy? i have a ton from my csa and am just looking for simple ways to use it. usually i make a dressing out of red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, a little olive oil and toss the bok choy in this adding some legume.

what do you do?????

thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I just sauteed some with onions, Bacos, and Bragg's. Pretty good. It's my first time cooking with the stuff though, so don't color me expert.
#3 Old 10-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios View Post

I just sauteed some with onions, Bacos, and Bragg's. Pretty good. It's my first time cooking with the stuff though, so don't color me expert.

coloring can be therapeutic!! can i color you a bok choy suggestor? totally different colors would be used than for an expert.

thank you for the suggestion!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

As long as 'bok choy suggestor' is not similar in color to burnt sienna. I never liked that crayon!
#5 Old 10-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I generally just throw it in stir fry (I'll cut off the stems and throw them in with the other veggies and chop the leaves and throw them in towards the end). I also like it just steamed, either plain or with some onion and garlic thrown in.
#6 Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios View Post

As long as 'bok choy suggestor' is not similar in color to burnt sienna. I never liked that crayon!

oh gosh no!!! at least not in my world "bok choy suggestor" is nothing like burnt sienna--what a horrid color! no--i color in bright, almost neon hues, no worries here!
#7 Old 10-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Beginner

I have a fabulous recipe involving bok choy, ****ake mushroom and cashew nuts if you want it I'll post it -it makes me drool every time I make it
#8 Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

O please do, Hulasue. I'm nuts for nuts! (Some would argue I could stop after the first half of that sentence)
#9 Old 10-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Beginner

3 tbsp groundnut oil

4 heads bok choy sliced lengthways

200g ****ake mushrooms, halved

1 bunch green onions sliced

30g cashew nuts

little bit red chilli flakes

sprigs coriander -optional

for the sauce

2 tbsp soy sauce

2 tbsp yellow bean paste (I have used hoisin before or black bean sauce when I couldn't find yellow bean)

1 birds eye chilli chopped

1 clove garlic sliced

1 thumb ginger grated

1 tsp brown sugar

1 dessert spoon cornstarch

sprigs fresh coriander -optional

udon noodles to serve -or other noodles

Directions

Mix all the sauce ingredients excluding the cornstarch togtether with 150ml water and set aside

heat 2 tbsp of the groundnut oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan or wok. Add the bok choy and saute for a couple of minutes until softened. Add 2 or 3 tbsp of the sauce stirring. Add the mushrooms and cook for a minute or so on high adding spoonfuls of the sauce until half is used up. Add the green onions, stirring until they wilt.

Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining sauce and add to pan stirring quickly until the asuce is thickened and generously coating the vegetables. If it starts to dry out add a couple of tbsp water. Remove from heat and add the cashews and bit of chilli and fresh coriander.

Serve with some thick and slippery udon noodles
#10 Old 10-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

love to use it asian style soups, it becomes nice and tender and absorbs flavor well.

also a great addition to those cheap noodle packs that we tend to eat when in a hurry or lazy, makes them seem a bit more healthy w/ bok choy too.
#11 Old 10-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Beginner

OMG!!! I love Bok Choy. I stir fry garlic in a little olive oil. Sprinkle pepper flakes in the oil as well. Then I saute the Bok Choy in it until tender. A little salt and pepper ..... Mmmmmmm.

Another one of my fav recipes is, I steam baby Bok Choy (cut in half) until tender. Then I top it with peanut dressing. It's a great side dish to a Japanese dish (usually I have miso tofu, or grilled Japanese eggplant, ect with it).

I also use it in my veggie soups and asian stir fries.

I'm not crazy about the stems, though. I use them, but I LOVE the greens of the Bok Choy much better.
#12 Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

um, stir-fried for like 30 seconds in hot oil and fresh garlic, placed on top of brown rice or soba noodles!

Less is always more :-p

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page