Breakfast Help? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, so we will be hosting our wedding at a bed and breakfast in a couple of weeks (eek!). Some of our guests will be staying at the B&B with us. About half of the people staying there are either vegan, vegetarian, or have vegetarian tendencies, for lack of a better term (they eat meat but very rarely). The owners of the B&B are willing to make vegan & vegetarian options for breakfast for our guests. Thing is, they're really quite clueless when it comes to vegan food.

We've already agreed to provide the rice milk and veggie breakfast meats (it's just easier than getting them to get it). We have two breakfasts to figure out. One will be pancakes and I've sent them two pancake recipes (even though they're very skeptical that vegan pancakes will turn out ). The other is still up in the air. To try to figure out what I had to work with I asked what they normally serve for breakfast. This is what I got:

Quote:
I usually do french toast but topped with chese and sometimes peperoni, fritatas baked in the oven (one is with mushroom and sausage and another with ground beef), pancakes, hawaiian surprise (eggs with pineapple and ham). I always inc potatos and a fruit srarter, either a plate OR a yogurt parfait.

I was thinking they'd give me a bit more to work with than that. I'm tempted to just say potatoes, oatmeal or grits, fruit & toast but was hoping for something a bit more exciting. I thought about a tofu scramble but I think that might be a bit too much to ask. It needs to be something 'familiar' to folks who eat like the above (and they basically have the attitude of "I didn't climb all the way to the top of the food chain to eat grains" - because yes, they actually said that). It doesn't have to be all vegan but with enough options so us vegans won't go hungry (even though I'd be content with just eating cereal ). Oh, and apparently muffins are too difficult, so those are out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Veggie Regular

So it seems that there will be rice milk, cereal, veggie breakfast meats, fruit, toast and oatmeal at both breakfasts. Then you'd have pancakes 'featured' with the one breakfast and I'd go with homemade fries for the other breakfast.

I'm a simple eater, though, so I'd be quite overwhelmed with joy at the selection at such breakfasts.

If anyone complains I don't think it'll be the (lack of) variety or the lack of 'exciting foods' that is the focus but rather the 'strangeness' of rice milk and vegan breakfast 'meats'.

But really, with most normal people, the variety you are offering will keep them happy.
#3 Old 10-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it seems you have a great variety! Vegan bagels are usually pretty easy to find or you could do english muffins. Top those with a little EB and jam- Yum! Some granola for breakfast would usually be delicious and it doesn't have to be anything extra since they already do parfaits. (I think those usually have granola in them, right?) I love "home fries" which for us is just potato chunks pan fried with spices and onions, red and green peppers.

Dang it now I'm hungry, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

If you are renting out the B&B you have a whole lot of say in exactly what is served for breakfast, don't forget that and don't feel bad about asking for exactly what you want.

The concept of the Breakfast Buffet is very easy in these types of situations. It takes the pressure off of the cook who is probably just a part timer used to making basic omni breakfasts.

Give them a recipe for a tofu scramble and let that be one of buffet plates along with the usual breakfast foods.

They can easily set up a heat lamp on a table and have different foods that you specify in seperate plates/bowls for people to help themselves to. The cook can then simply re-stock the plates as they empty.
#5 Old 10-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

French toast with cheese and pepperoni? Eeeeewwwww!!!!! I mean, I always liked cheese and pepperoni as much as the next person but not on french toast.

A fruit crisp would be a good breakfast. Pancakes are always good. I think a tofu scramble would be a good option, especially if a lot of the guests are vegan, vegetarian or have vegetarian tendencies. Maybe offer an egg dish (like a frittata or something) the same morning as the tofu scrambles.
#6 Old 10-09-2008, 09:23 AM

I think that vegan pancakes are a great option. A lot of people don't like a heavy breakfast, so that with fruit, cereal, oatmeal, etc, I would think would be fine. My only other thought is that they could make vegan quiche or frittata with silken tofu...which I love, and I think is a little easier for a non-vegan to make than scrambled tofu.
#7 Old 10-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned

muffins? might be less hassle than pancakes.

i'd just get a load of toast, bagels, spreads, cereal and milks, juices, fruit, hashbrowns, veggie sausages, scrambled eggs, fried mushrooms, tomatoes, and baked beans, and just let people do the buffet type thing. if they can't find something they like outta all that, well, i'd be suprised.
#8 Old 10-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think that going with variety is the key here.

Oh, and Mr Sun we are simply providing the rice milk and veggie meats for the vegetarians and anyone else who wants them. We will let the omnis have their meat at breakfast. We're already serving an almost vegan rehearsal dinner (just one meat dish - not our choice, believe me), and a completely vegan reception. I think the meat eaters might be a little bit put off if we try to dictate their food choices beyond that. They are paying for their rooms at the B&B after all
#9 Old 10-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm very partial (as you can tell by my siggy) but yeaaaaaaah...tofu scramble!!!!
#10 Old 10-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm certainly open to tofu scramble. I' don't make it at home (don't get along well with soy) so if anyone has a good fool proof recipe, I'm game! we can pick up the ingredients for them...
#11 Old 10-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think that going with variety is the key here.

Oh, and Mr Sun we are simply providing the rice milk and veggie meats for the vegetarians and anyone else who wants them. We will let the omnis have their meat at breakfast. We're already serving an almost vegan rehearsal dinner (just one meat dish - not our choice, believe me), and a completely vegan reception. I think the meat eaters might be a little bit put off if we try to dictate their food choices beyond that. They are paying for their rooms at the B&B after all

Oh, I see - I was thinking I may be misunderstanding something. Well, the veg*ns will enjoy the rice milk and the vegan 'meat' and the variety of other foods. It sounds like you've got the breakfast part covered.

I made tofu scramble once and it didn't turn out - I agree: if you get a fool proof recipe to provide the B&B people then go for it but otherwise just skip it.
#12 Old 10-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Go to Casa Del Toro in Santa Fe, which is a B&B that has a vegan and raw vegan chef on staff. Okay, that didn't help. Sorry. (*runs*)
#13 Old 10-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Go to Casa Del Toro in Santa Fe, which is a B&B that has a vegan and raw vegan chef on staff. Okay, that didn't help. Sorry. (*runs*)

Or Deer Run in the Florida Keys
#14 Old 10-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I've found the tofu scrambles recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance to be pretty foolproof.
#15 Old 10-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

No - actually that's what I was thinking too. You need to talk to Mariela, she is a vegan chef at a bed-n-Breakfast in Santa Fe and is AMAZZZZZZING!!!!! Seriously. Amazing.

Go to the website: http://www.vegansantafe.com/index.html and click on the link "Contact us" and you'll see her e-mail. [email protected]

Or go to her Facebook if you have a Facebook account: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=749253124

Tell her that Marti (Tofu Mom) recommended her, and that you need help with ideas. I PROMISE she'll have great ideas!!! Seriously I cannot say enough good things...

---- And to everyone who keeps saying to do a tofu scramble - Don't. Unless the cooks are familier with it, it's just NOT gonna turn out that great, even with a good recipe. And unless you're vegan AND a tofu-scramble fan, it's not gonna be a big hit. It seriously sounds like you have some great options and plenty to offer. I would do soymilk AND ricemilk, simply because soymilk is more familier and has a better texture over cereal (less watery) for some poeple.
#16 Old 10-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

I've found the tofu scrambles recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance to be pretty foolproof.

See, this is why I don't think a tofu-scramble is a great idea. I don't care for their recipe AT ALL!!! It's a personal taste-preference thing, just like how some people like their eggs over-easy and others like them scrambled with bacon... one taste doesn't fit all and there are drastic differences.

I LOVE tofu-scramble, but not the VWAV one, but that's just me.
#17 Old 10-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

TNS, thanks for the recommendation! I sent that lady an email so let's see what she has to say

I'm also concerned about tofu scramble (as stated in my first post)... It really is one of those things that could be really good or really bad. We need something foolproof!
#18 Old 10-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Could maybe do veggie fajitas? They could even make a meat to go in the meat-ies' fajitas, and just have them saute up some veggies with oil and add some sauce to it to make it more breakfast friendly? Hot sauce on the side, tofutti for those that might want it?

As long as they made the meat in a TOTALLY separate frying pan, or did the veggies first, I cannot see anyone having issue there. And it's easy for a beginner. No worry about the odd veggie foods like tofu. Could ask for hash browns or brown rice to be cooked up and people can add it to tortillas for filling factor, if they need to.

Tofu scared the crepe out of me when I was a new veg. Like, for years. I still don't love working with it! And I like to eat it. :P
#19 Old 10-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Great idea bekajoi!
#20 Old 10-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

So? Any updates?
#21 Old 10-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

So? Any updates?

Oh funny... I just sent you a PM right before I saw this. I got in contact with the lady at the B&B and she was very sweet and helpful. I mentioned the veggie burrito idea and she gave me some ideas and a recipe for a chipotle sauce to go along with it.

I sent the idea to the B&B and I'm waiting on their response.
#22 Old 10-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Way cool. She is SOO awesome! I hope that helps!

Froggy and I were lucky enough to discover her when we stayed at her bed-n-breakfast in Santa Fe. Totally a random choice but we got very lucky. Her food is amazing and she is a lovely person!
#23 Old 10-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm definitely considering paying her a visit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page