Hummus Hummus is so yummus - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Beginner

heh ok. What else goes with this awesome chickpea delight!

I bought some roasted red bell pepper hummus today. would putting it in lasagna work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

i usually put it in a sandwich or eat with raw veggies.

you should make your own! it's really easy and tastes way better
#3 Old 09-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Beginner

Hummus lasagna sounds pretty random to me, but you never know. It's good in sandwiches and wraps, with pita chips, on crispbread/crackers, and with raw veggies. I love hummus. And it's so easy to make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

It's good mixed with tomato sauce on pasta too!
#5 Old 09-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Beginner

thanks i'll try that. i tired it with green apples and cucumber!! yum.
#6 Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I had some really crappy hummus today at my college. But hey, it was free... kind of.

I've heard people on here say they mix it with tomato sauce. You could try that in lasagna. It's good in tortillas with vegetables too. I usually eat it like that. or with some raw veggies, pita, or falafel (but I've never made my own)
#7 Old 09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I use it as a dip for veggies or crackers, make sandwiches, I guess you could make a kind of tostada with it.
#8 Old 09-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I like it...

-Mixed with tomato sauce on pasta.

-Used as a dip for tortilla chips. YUM. Especially sesame-blue corn tortilla chips, e.g., Garden of Eatin' Sesame Blues.

-In a sandwich with veggies (my fav. way to do this is on a roll with cucumber, onion, lettuce, tomato, and hot peppers.)
#9 Old 09-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

HUMMUS!!! I hate hummus, yuk I wouldn't even pick it as a user name.
#10 Old 09-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

*Points to user title*

Yes, hummus and pasta sauce is quite good. I put it on virtually everything (I go though like 5 tubs a week =P). It goes well on veggie burgers, pita bread (or any bread for that matter), falafel, etc. I've even been known to eat it right off the spoon, but don't tell anyone that. =P

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#11 Old 09-15-2008, 05:05 PM

i made some today.

#12 Old 09-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oligarchism View Post

i made some today.

Yummy, how did it turn out?

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#13 Old 09-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

(I go though like 5 tubs a week =P).

Now YOU should totally make your own, that would get insanely expensive VERY quickly!!

Chi-Tea: Hummus is good in lasagna!!! Ignore the naysayers and random skeptics, just spread it over the cooked noodles like you would a ricotta cheese or whatever. And then add your other ingredients, it's especially good in vegetable lasagna...

And while we're on the subject, Hummus! is one of my all-time favorite VBers!!!
#14 Old 09-15-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

Yummy, how did it turn out?

it was actually pretty bland. i even added more spices and lemon juice, but it really wasn't turning out. i didn't have time fix it. next time, perhaps?
#15 Old 09-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm..hummus..its so deliciously addictive. My favorite is with warm pita bread or stuffed in a pita with falafel.
#16 Old 09-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat hummus sandwiches for lunch every day at school! Usually I putslices of tomato and a little pepper if I want it fancy.

I like the super garlicky kind! Never tried making my own, though. Maybe I should try!

<3<3
#17 Old 09-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

jicama slices + hummus = heaven
#18 Old 09-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I love love love hummus on any kind of veggie, but my favorite has to be pita chips with hummus. I love making my own, and I like a couple of store bought brands too.

Mmmmm, hummus.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#19 Old 09-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Banned

Hummus is awesome. I use it in sandwiches, especially sauteed onions and pepper in a pita. It's a great dip for tortilla chips, crackers, veggies. Sometimes, I'll just eat a spoonful or two with nothing else. I also toss it with a pasta and a little bit of olive oil and then throw sauteed veggies such as broccoli or green beans over the pasta. Delicious.
#20 Old 09-16-2008, 03:06 AM

Roast a load of vegetables: Courgette, Aubergine, Red Onion, Tomatoes, Peppers and a few cloves of Garlic. Get yourself some warm pita bread.

Fill the Pittas with veg & hummus. Or just dip and dive individually.

= Awesome meal.

I've tried making my own several times, but alas it isn't actually ever as good as restaurant or even store bought. Still OK though. Can't decide which i prefer between tomato and olive hummus, roasted red pepper hummus, or just plain ol' hummus.
#21 Old 09-16-2008, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

You guys aren't using enough garlic, olive oil and salt when making your own. Plus fresh-cooked chick peas make a world of difference. You can NOT be skimpy with the ingredients.

That said, store-bought and commercially prepared hummus has just a butt-ton of salt and fat added. Making your own, even if you add a LOT more than the recipe calls for, will still be a healthier option. And cheaper by about 235543234%. I honestly cannot imagine how people afford store-bought on a regular basis.

If you're not impressed with a recipe, try another one or play with it 'till it's better suited to your tastes.
#22 Old 09-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Hummus in lasagna?? me thinks I must try this. yum!!

TNS--how much is hummus where you are? I pay 85p just for a tin of organic chickpeas (I know you said use fresh, but I am just giving you a price comparison) and I can get a pot of really good hummus for 99p. So there is savings, but not as much as you probably have. My main concern is the plastic throw away.

I still never have gotten my homemade hummus to come out right--always like paste. But every other dip I make--perfect (but they use softer beans like cannelini or great northern) go figure.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#23 Old 09-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

For those of you who are making their own, a couple of other spices that I've found to taste great are:

cumin

garlic (of course)

cayenne pepper

Then of course you can make your own "flavors":

roasted red pepper

olive

garlic, etc.

But I agree with TNS, it's just a trial & error thing.

But don't give up on learning how to make your own, it can really save you money.
#24 Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Banned

I've never tried making my own, but maybe I'll give it a shot. It would be a lot cheaper. I go through a pound container a week, and that's with rationing it out. Otherwise, it probably would be twice that .
#25 Old 09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I should definitely try making my own!! I go through a few tubs a week

I like it with celery, pita chips, bagel chips, wheat thins...I've never had it on a sandwich but I'm going to try that tomorrow.
#26 Old 09-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I use chickpeas I've cooked from dry, so it may not be an accurate comparison.

They cook up velvety and make a great hummus that is not pasty or dry. 1 cup dry, maybe 25 cents worth at most? makes 4 CUPS of hummus (of course with garlic and olive oil and other things)...

(Sorry Spidergrrl, I don't know UK measurement equivilents...)

I could buy a can (about 1 1/2 half cups) of chickpeas, for about 75 cents and make about 2 cups of hummus, still less than store bought...

On the other hand? A 6-ounce tub pre-made - less than a cup - costs $3.49!

I don't have Whole Foods or Trader Joes and hummus may be cheaper there, but still not cheap enough to justify (on my budget) buying it.
#27 Old 09-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Beginner

yea. my mom made my veggie lasgana last night so i didn't get to put the hummus in but i will next time. I've notice that store bought hummus is more limey flavor or salty if that makes sense but its good .
#28 Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Banned

I think I paid $2.19 for a 16-ounce tub at Trader Joe's today. Not too bad. At Giant it was nearly $6 for the same size tub.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page