Vegans - I need comfort food recipes. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Beginner

OMG!!! I'm vegan, but I have been graving "comfort food" like crazy. I figured out how to veganize my mom's chicken soup. So yummy. I'm actually looking for my familie's "comfort food." Like meat loaf, mac n' cheese, (i'm part irish), ham and cabbage (sp?), and all that fun stuff.

What's your favorite comfort food that you veganized? It could be anything. But don't give me weird things like TVP (except for tofu .... I love tofu) or what ever that stuff is. I never used it. No beans either. Beans hate me. I use NY, and boca products, and lots of veggies, though.

Bring it! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-10-2008, 12:12 AM

i would so love some good comfort food recipes too! i live near chicago and the fall seems to already be settling in and im craving some hearty, heart-warming food. i would love some type of "meat"loaf recipe.... my mom makes some incredible vegan chili- when she gets back in town ill post the recipe.
#3 Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

The first comfort food I veganized is biscuits and gravy. I've got to something to replace my great gramma's meat sauce for Christmas (its tradition). I've done a decent portobella bolognese. Still looking for good ways to use Marsala wine. Coming up with a decent Italian Sausage has really helped my Italian cravings =p

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-10-2008, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I never tried it for mac and cheese but I often use this for everything involving creamy/melted cheese, so you should be able to make mac and cheese easily!

200-300ml soy milk (depends on your preference)

2 tbsp almond mash

3 tbsp nutritional yeast

2 tbsp soy flour

salt and pepper to taste (sometimes I also ad some muscat)

To replace the egg I would suggsest you to use some silken Tofu. By the way if you cut out the egg (silken tofu) and add instead some roasted onions, you have a veganized traditional swiss dish (Älplermakkaronen).
#5 Old 09-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

mashed potatoes!

so very easy:

boil potatoes (peeled or not) in veg broth, i add garlic too

drain potatoes, save liquid

mash

add saved liquid to make smooth
#6 Old 09-10-2008, 11:56 AM

Risotto is a great comfort food!
#7 Old 09-10-2008, 11:59 AM

Another filling option is lentil soup
#8 Old 09-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

When I am craving comforting cheesy, heavy foods, I stuff myself with really oily hummus or lots of guac. After that I am happy and sedated.

Chili is another good warm comfort food.

I haven't had any luck really duplicating mac n cheese, although Shreeze (sp?) can be good.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#9 Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I like vegan chicken noodle soup. Boil the noodles, and then simmer fake chicken,veggies,veggie broth, any spices you want I also like vegan chili. Just mix chili powder(make sure it doesn't have whey in it) water, kidney beans, tomatoes, and fake crumble meat, and kindy of beans or veggies you want it. let it simmer for a while.
#10 Old 09-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm with synergy. Whenever I'm feeling like something creamy and comforting (and ultimately fattening) I like some oily roasted pepper hummus

Speaking of comfort, I'm making roasted brussel sprouts..but I don't think that counts.

I'm just using it as mindless snack substitute

#11 Old 09-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Comfort food means something different to everyone.

To me, it's: Eggs Benedict, Fettucini Alfredo, Pierogies, Scalloped Potatoes, Macaroni Salad, "Chicken" and Dumplings, Chile Rellanos, Lasagna or Biscuits and Gravy. I've reproduced and veganized all of those pretty well (recipes in my blog) but it's a personal preference thing, what "works" for me may not work for someone else...

Also for me, a big part of "comfort" in comfort food is getting in the kitchen, making an unholy mess, and creating something my family LOVES.
#12 Old 09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

#13 Old 09-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Beginner

OMG!!! You guys are making my craving worse ... It all sounds so yummy. I mastered my mom's chicken noodle soup (veganized of course), and greensgood mentioned mashed tators. That's exactly how I make mine. I REALLY love my mashed tators. I sometimes put fake baco's and earth balance in it .... OMG!!! So good.

Keep them coming, folks (eventhough my mouth is REALLY watering right now ... yum yum).
#14 Old 09-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

My comfort food used to be mac and cheese, but trying to be vegan most of the time and having a lactose intolerance has cancelled that. So now I rely on oats! Porridge, oat cakes, anything. I love porridge, I eat it every day. Oh, and chili always cheers me up! Having that for lunch as I'm not feeling well and I'm working late tonight.
#15 Old 09-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loulelou View Post

My comfort food used to be mac and cheese, but trying to be vegan most of the time and having a lactose intolerance has cancelled that. So now I rely on oats! Porridge, oat cakes, anything. I love porridge, I eat it every day. Oh, and chili always cheers me up! Having that for lunch as I'm not feeling well and I'm working late tonight.

Oh yea. I veganized my mom's chili, too. Except I make it without beans (beans hate me). It's basically "meat" chili with boca ground burger, onion, garlic, bell pepper, tomato sauce and seasonings (whatever I feel like). It's so yummy.

I also miss mac n' cheese I hate vegan cheese, so I'm kinda screwed on that.
#16 Old 09-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

My comfort foods are creamy soups like bake potato and corn chowder. Also some hearty vegetable soup with pasta and warm bread with butter. Yum
#17 Old 09-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's a good vegan cookbook for comfort foods:

http://www.cozyinside.blogspot.com/

It's on sale now too, but it does use some TVP.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#18 Old 09-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Beginner

Irizary, thanks for the site! It's great. It'll take me a while to go through and print all those yummy looking recipes. But worth it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page