Sucanat, Molasses, Brown Sugar, White Sugar, Splenda... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone give a brief explanation between the different types of sugars/sweeteners. I've done a search for this on google, but I can't seem to find a comparison between the different types of sweeteners. I'd particularly like to see a comparison of their nutritional contents (while I can find # of calories and carbs in each, I can't find a breakdown of vitamins&minerals).

Which sugar is considered to be "best" for you? Why?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

No sugar or sweetener is going to have any remnance of vitamins & minerals, with one exception - blackstrap molasses.. Sorry to disappoint, but sugar is sugar. And a gram of sugar is going to be 4 calories. (since sugar is 100% carbohydrate and 1g of carbohydrate has 4 calories)

Sucanat is a brand name but is basically brown sugar. I think it has more molasses than typical brown sugar, but it's pretty close.

Turbinado is the same as Demarara and is like a light brown sugar.

Molasses is sugar syrup. Boiled cane (or beet) juice, basically. (a bit more extensive than that, but that's pretty much the idea) Blackstrap molasses has a lot of iron & calcium in it.

Brown sugar differs form white sugar in that it has slightly more molasses in it. Some brown sugars are made by adding molasses to white sugar; others are made by simply less refining.

Splenda is a brand name for sucralose and is an artificial sweetener made by chemically altering sucrose (glucose + fructose).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose

There are a lot of other sweeteners out there, including high fructose corn syrup which is basically corn syrup that has been altered to contain a higher % of fructose to increase sweetness. But really the take-away message is that it's still all sugar. Brown sugar isn't any "healthier" than white sugar, and blackstrap molasses is the only sweetener that has any trace of nutrients. But, honestly, if you want calcium or iron you're better off cooking up some collards in a cast iron skillet and serving them over some spicy lentils with a bit of tahini & lemon juice.
#3 Old 09-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Oh, and there's always honey. It contains vitamins B1, B2, C, B6, B5 and B3, as well as small amounts of copper, iodine, zinc and antioxidants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-06-2008, 08:51 PM

thanks

i try to use honey whenever i can
#5 Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 PM

welll....isn't there some calcium and some iron in agave nectar? its a sweetener and its vegan...and i like how it tastes...just throwing that out there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page