Tofu Scramble - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I've made tofu scramble a couple of times. Each time, it's been too dense. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tricks to lighten it up/make more 'fluffy'. One thought I've had is to add ground flax & water, or add silk and a starch.

I'll get a couple pounds of tofu this weekend and play around. Any ideas or suggestions?

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe use a less dense tofu like a soft or medium?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 09-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't get the tofu scramble right, either.

I want to get some Indian black/pink salt. Everyone says its got that egg-y flavor tofu scramble is missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 AM
Banned

You can try grating it with a cheese grater , its what I do , works well .
#5 Old 09-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm... I rather like the "dense-ness" of it, but I use medium firm tofu and mash with a potato masher. DO NOT use previously frozen tofu.

You can blend a little silken tofu in the food processor and add to the mashed firm tofu to make a more creamy "soft-scrambled-egg" texture but that's entirely too much work for me.

I wonder if just whizzng the firm tofu in the food processor until blended and then cooking it down would make a more "fluffy" texture. Hmmm.... Interesting. Now I'm intrigued.
#6 Old 09-03-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

You can try grating it with a cheese grater , its what I do , works well .

That's what I do too. It also gives you more surface area to coat and season the tofu well.
#7 Old 09-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to make the scramble mix at home, hopefully inexpensively. Do any of you have a recipe for it?

Tweaking that recipe might help with the OP's problem, too.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#8 Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

I'd like to make the scramble mix at home, hopefully inexpensively. Do any of you have a recipe?

I usually make a ~10 times amount of the spice mix from VWAV (pulverised in the blender) and store it in a twist-off jar for convenience, like I do with other spice mixes from favourite recipes too (with a note on the label to how many tsp per serving it equates).

Sorry I have no further advice to the OP, as I actually prefer my scrambled tofu in cubes, and rather dense than mushy, so the firmer the tofu the better
#9 Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

I'd like to make the scramble mix at home, hopefully inexpensively. Do any of you have a recipe for it?

Tweaking that recipe might help with the OP's problem, too.

I've looked at quite a few. This weekend, I'm buying some tofu, and frying it in different ways in 4oz chunks unitl I find one I like. So far, the iterations I have in mind are:

different firmesses

drained or undrained

blend some of it

grate the tofu

play with liquid content

ground flax

I've got some good ideas here. If anyone has others, I'll add it to the list. Thanks.

#10 Old 09-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll be watching with interest, even though I tend to like firm, dense cubes for my tofu-scramble as well...
#11 Old 09-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I made my first tofu scramble recently. I went the easy route and bought the pre-made seasoning by Fantastic Foods. It is soooo yummy!! Really reminded me of scrambled eggs and only took 5 minutes or so to prepare. I love tofu scramble!!
#12 Old 09-05-2008, 07:38 AM

Me too, although I haven't had it in ages!
#13 Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't get into tofu scramble.

As far as vegan dishes go, I find it really ordinary even when it's cooked by someone who knows what they're doing.

m8itcanw8.com
#14 Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^Evidently I haven't had you over for breakfast.
#15 Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

This is my new favorite way to eat tofu. I'm currently using this recipe from vegetarian.about.com (here) and also add green onion and / or spinach near the end of cooking. Eat it as a breakfast burrito in a flour tortilla with a little salsa or taco sauce. Delicious; can't get enough of it
#16 Old 09-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I think I'm going to add some grated zucchini to the mix too

#17 Old 09-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't say I ever followed a recipe for this. I just add onion powder, tumeric and nutritional yeast until my heart is content (which is WAY more than most recipes call for). I just spot add it every time I make it...I never measure it out. And then I add my medley of veggies...whatever I think should go in there. The batch I made this weekend had diced roma tomatoes, cubed red potatoes, brussel sprouts, spinach, and I added Lightlife Gimme Lean Ground Sausage Style Veggie Protein. Then I grated up an 8 ounce block of cheddar flavored almond cheese and melted it on top. Put a couple spoon fulls of fresh salsa right on top when I serve it up and OH BOYOBOYOBOY!

All I have to say is...

I like it ALOT!

One day I am going to make it with asparagus, sans the other veggies, and wrap it up in a soft tortilla shell with home made vegan hollandaise sauce. You know that's what I like!

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#18 Old 09-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I did it! I cooked up 8 batches of tofu, and scrambled an egg for comparison. I added a liquid mixture that smelled just like deviled eggs. I added shredded zucchini to a batch that, with some cut up apple, tasted really good cold as a sandwich spread.

I'll post something soon (maybe tomorrow). I made moussaka for dinner, then went to the park with the girls. I'm wore out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

I just spot add it every time I make it...I never measure it out.

I like to say that I'm thorough. My friends have used different words, though. Sometimes I count my fingers, just to make sure nothing has changed =)

#19 Old 09-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

This weekend, I scrambled about 3 pounds of tofu. The final product turned out really well and I ended up adding some zucchini chunks and field roast sausage. Thanks all for the help. I will make this again and again.

Here's how it went:

I started at Morning Glory, a local breakfast & lunch eatery, for a taste of what a tofu scramble should be. I needed a refresher and their tofu scramble is good. Their potatoes and sauce are definitely a plus. Oddity of note: The potatoes have twigs in them. I don't know why.

I went home, drained 3 pounds of tofu, cut them into 8 sections and crumbled half and shredded the other half. I chopped some onions and shredded some zucchini. Finally, I concocted a a liquid mixture soy milk, nutritional yeast, Indian black salt and a couple other spices. It smelled wonderful, a lot like egg yolks. I was feeling confident. As I worked, I learned some quick tips.

• Crumble the tofu, but not too much, and firm, for me works better than medium.
  • Shredded tofu had it merit, but I preferred crumbled for 'eggs.'
  • Fry the tofu without flipping or stirring until it begins to brown. Then turn.
  • pour in the liquid until it begins to pool, then cook it out quickly while stirring.
  • Indian Black Salt (kala namak)is awesome. Find it and use it. Also, it's not always labeled in English
  • Scrambled eggs are actually quite white. A little nutritional yeast or mustard is plenty of color.
  • Conversely, turmeric turns tofu unnaturally yellow. You don't need it.

Here are the eight results (numbered left to right):

#1 - mashed with 1/4 cup milk. A little dry.

#2 - shredded with 1/4 cup milk. Better.

#3 - mashed with 1/2 cup milk, my favorite.

#4 - shredded with 1/2 cup milk too wet, I thought.

#5 - mashed, cooked with some onion & zucchini. Turmeric added.

#6 - shredded, cooked with some onion & zucchini. Turmeric added.

Note: You do not need turmeric for color.

#7 - mashed, cooked with some onion & zucchini.

#8 - shredded, cooked with some onion & zucchini.

My wife sampled each and, at #8, said "this tastes like chicken salad." I disagreed on the flavor, but it does have its merit. I chilled it added some apple (also good with minced celery) and it made for a tasty sandwich. Really!

I scrambled an egg and compared it to my tofu. For color, consistency and flavor, my favorite was #3. I chopped up some onions, cubed some zucchini, and fried up some field roast sausage and prepared to make pancakes with scrambled tofu. I must say, it was a huge hit.

#20 Old 09-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

And the final result:

Tofu Scramble

1 lb firm tofu, drained, crumbled or mashed

1 tbs butter

1/2 small onion, chopped

1/2 cup milk

2 tbs nutritional yeast

1/2 tsp Indian black salt

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp mustard powder

1/4 tsp black pepper

Fry the onion in a little melted butter until soft. Add crumbled tofu and cook over medium-high heat without stirring or turning until the tofu just begins to brown. Flip/stir and slightly brown again. While the tofu cooks, whisk together the remaining ingredients. When the tofu has firmed and the moisture cooked out, pour in the sauce and stir continuously until absorbed.

Feel free to add potatoes, veggies or whatever you like. I made this batch with zucchini chunks and Field Roast Italian Sausage.

#21 Old 09-09-2008, 02:14 PM

Wow, thank you so much for posting this!!! I was at a loss about how to even attempt tofu scramble with all the varieties out there. This definitely clears it up. Great pictures too! Looks absolutely delicious.
#22 Old 09-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post

And the final result:

Tofu Scramble

1 lb firm tofu, drained, crumbled or mashed

1 tbs butter

1/2 small onion, chopped

1/2 cup milk

2 tbs nutritional yeast

1/2 tsp Indian black salt

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp mustard powder

1/4 tsp black pepper

Fry the onion in a little melted butter until soft. Add crumbled tofu and cook over medium-high heat without stirring or turning until the tofu just begins to brown. Flip/stir and slightly brown again. While the tofu cooks, whisk together the remaining ingredients. When the tofu has firmed and the moisture cooked out, pour in the sauce and stir continuously until absorbed.

Feel free to add potatoes, veggies or whatever you like. I made this batch with zucchini chunks and Field Roast Italian Sausage.

WOW, I've never tried it with the sauce before! I gotta try that! Thanks for the idea!

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#23 Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Very nice. You all but read my mind. This is extremely similar to mine only I don't actually do a "sauce" but just throw the seasonings in and pour the soymilk over...

Usually some fresh pressed garlic, roasted green chiles and minced herbs from the garden too.

And Field Roast and potatoes to go with? Oh yeah!! Decadent and expensive (on my budget anyway) but definitely a once-in-a-while treat!!
#24 Old 09-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

The pancakes were yours too, with vanilla soy milk and apple sauce =p

That was the first time I've had Field Roast. It was good. It's a lot cheaper to make my own, but there's something to be said for ripping open a package and having dinner. I thoroughly enjoyed the meal.

Oh, and I can't say it enough. The Indian black salt was eerily good.

#25 Old 09-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

When I first looked at the picture (without reading first) I thought you had PECANS in the tofu scramble and thought "Oooo, cool idea, I need to try that..." but then I discovered it was Field Roast Sausage... which is equally good.. but you've given me an idea...

Isn't the black salt the perfect "missing ingredient" though? Love the stuff.
#26 Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

When I first looked at the picture (without reading first) I thought you had PECANS in the tofu scramble and thought "Oooo, cool idea, I need to try that..." but then I discovered it was Field Roast Sausage... which is equally good.. but you've given me an idea...

When are nuts a bad idea? I haven't figured that one out =p

Quote:

Isn't the black salt the perfect "missing ingredient" though? Love the stuff.

Isn't it though? Thanks for the tip

#27 Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's a lot of pressure you're putting on yourself TNS - it's going to cost me about $2,500 to show up to that breakfast, so it better be the best damn scramble ever or there's going to be trouble

m8itcanw8.com
#28 Old 09-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

That's a lot of pressure you're putting on yourself TNS - it's going to cost me about $2,500 to show up to that breakfast, so it better be the best damn scramble ever or there's going to be trouble

In that case, it shouldn't be a trouble to swing by and pick me up too!

#29 Old 09-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Eh, I'm up for it.

That's all ya get though. No lasagna, no chicken-n-dumplings, no scones, no cinnamon rolls. Those are extra...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page