tofu scares me, help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-07-2003, 01:54 PM

Okay, I've tried three things with tofu and none have been any good. A salad dressign taht was okay and it might have jsut been that we are used to the other stuff, on salad and that's before I knew really what to do with it, and today with the scrabbled egg packet, bleh! Any tips for the egg packet? I have another one but am scared to try the other one in the box. I have loved tofu in chinese soups but can't seem to do it right here at home. TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2003, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

You probably need to drain the tofu. The first time I made tofu scramble I thought it was horrid..

Use extra firm tofu (not silken). To drain the tofu you remove it from the package and then place it in a towel. I generally cut the tofu in 4 equal strips. I lay the tofu side by side on the towel and then wrap the towel around the tofu. I then place heavy books on the tofu. When the towel is soaked I move the tofu to a dry spot and press with books again.

When you cook the scramble you need to heat the oil before adding the tofu also remember anything with liquid you add will be absorbed by the tofu. I usually sauté onions, green peppers and tomatoes that I add to the scramble just as it is finishing. If the tomatoes are added directly to the tofu in the skillet the tofu will become wet again, so be sure to cook things like tomatoes separate and only add at the last second.

You can also drain and then freeze (in a sandwich baggy) the tofu for a few days. Thaw the tofu in the fridge and before using drain again. This will give it a chicken type texture.
#3 Old 11-07-2003, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmmm, I've only ever tried extra firm tofu, but I love it. My favourite is a tofu stirfry. Fry the tofu in a frying pan (non stick ones are good then you don't have to worry about the oil) and add some vegies. I have a recipe that I can type out to give you if you want, but I'm sure there's heaps on the internet as well if you want to look at different versions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-08-2003, 10:23 AM

Check out this thread, it has a lot of good recipes for tofu and many of my favorites

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=11225

That breakfast sandwich is TDF I eat it basically every day.

Here are some more recipes that I really like

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ead.php?t=5965

Shannon
#5 Old 11-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Try using an iron skillet if you have one. They can create a crispy outside with less oil.

It just takes a lot of trial and error. It will all be worth it in the end.
#6 Old 11-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I like frozen/thawed tofu the best for cooking. When I get my tofu home, I drain out the water, press out the block, slice it into 3/4" slices (give or take), wrap them up individually and freeze. That way, if I want some tofu, I can cook up a slice or two at a time instead of worrying about trying to eat the whole thing at once or worse, keeping it in the fridge and trying to remember to change the water each day (which I never seem to be able to do).

Curd style (the stuff typically in water) is much better for this than the silken and the firm is my personal favorite, too.

For salad dressings, there's one that I use all the time at this link. I also listed a sour cream recipe in there, too but I use the ranch recipe way more than I do the sour cream one so I only make the one thing and use it for just about everything. It doesn't taste exactly like the milk and mayo version, but I think it's pretty darn close. Especially since I don't keep soy milk and vegannaise on hand (there's a recipe that calls for making ranch with the dip packets which are vegan along with soy milk and vegannaise instead of that other stuff).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page