help me to like seitan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone. I've recently been thinking that tofu is something that should be more of a treat for me than an everyday thing.

So, I've tried seitan that my husband bought for me at the health food store (Whitewave brand). But I didn't like it very much. I made a stir fry with it. Is homemade seitan better tasting? Is it hard to make? I know there are many recipes out there for making it homemade, and while I LOVE to cook, I just have a block where seitan is concerned. Is home made really better than store bought? Is it worth it?

Any pictures of what you've done with it would be much appreciated. I love pictures!

ps-- OK. I don't eat tofu everyday but I do eat it a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I've had the grand daddy of all seitan I've decided at the Albany Vegan Potluck, and I still don't care much for it. It hurts my stomach. Just forewarning you.

The homemade kind is definitely LIGHTYEARS better than any kind I ever made before. Rabid_child and I think baypuppy made the ones at the potluck, I recall one of them saying they used the recipe in veganomicon. I've never made it, but they're the ones that are food geniuses.

If you do like this sort of seitan, you would probably like the chickpea cutlets in veganomicon too. They were easy to make, I just don't like wheat gluten I think.
#3 Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 AM

nykoelle, do you have a gluten intolerance perhaps? Even if it's not your taste, seitan shouldn't make your stomach hurts.

I like both homemade (or restaurant made) and store bought varieties, but agree that they do taste different. Marinating the seitan might make it better too, or did you buy something already seasoned?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a blood test done for celiacs that came back negative. I've been convinced they should still do a biopsy done though. I've had all kinds of other stomach issues, I assumed it was just too heavy a food for my tum.
#5 Old 08-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Just easy your mind and accept his power......

#6 Old 08-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

Just easy your mind and accept his power......

That's twice now you've made me giggle today.

Stoppit!!
#7 Old 08-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

OP: I don't use seitan or tofu. Ok, I eat tofu occasionally (maybe 2 times a month). But if you are trying to eat less tofu and you don't like seitan there are other foods that can fill the void.

But I've heard some people have made some wicked seitan so I hope you find a recipe that works for you.
#8 Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 AM
Beginner

What didn't you like about it? What makes you so determined to like it? Why do you want to cut back on tofu?

It's hard to make recommendations with so little information!
#9 Old 08-27-2008, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

That's twice now you've made me giggle today.

Stoppit!!

Sorry...

Hows this get ya?

#10 Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 AM
Banned

Seitan is like a raw potato: if you eat it raw, its not so nice. But if you cook it in different ways to bring out the flavour or infuse it with flavour then it tastes great. Bottome line is seitan is as good and tasty as you choose to make it.

I make a cacciatore where my homemade sietan is infused in a tomato, rosemary and white wine sauce for an hour and then served as cutlets. Its amazing. I also make an italian stufado where seitan chunks are simmered for hours imparting a deep rich flavour. I also coat the sietan cutlets in a little seasoned flour and brown before covering with a mushroom gravy. There are a million options. Just find a recipe that looks good and try it.
#11 Old 08-27-2008, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Homemade seitan is definitely different than store bought seitan. You control what goes in, which of course affects the flavor. You also control how it is cooked, which controls the shape of your seitan and also the texture. Play around with recipes and you may find one you like.

We usually eat tofu once or twice a week around here (the second time is if there is any left over from the first time). It's definitely good to have variety in your diet! Beans are also a good (cheap) protein option!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Veggie Regular

La Dolce Vegan has about a half dozen ways to get different mock-meat flavors out of seitan. It's my weapon of choice against soy protein isolate.

"Hmm, that package of of over-processed flavored soy does look tempting. But wait! I have gluten at home, and a recipe for that flavor in seitan. Stay in my wallet, money."

I seriously don't think tofu is that bad, but it's good to get variety. Here's the recipe that really turned me on to seitan. It's a little harder than some but very good. There's also one on the interwebs for a kind of roast seitan which doesn't have that squishy texture if you don't like it. I can't find it now because I have to leave for work, but I'll look for it this evening.
#13 Old 08-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the links and the info.

To answer some questions...

The seitan I bought was in a sort of savory broth. Not much flavor to it besides a slightly salty one. Also, I did not eat it raw. I mentioned that I had cooked it in a stir fry with all sorts of veggies, rice noodles, and homemade peanut dressing... all the things I love- I just didn't like the seitan.

As for being determined to like it... Well, it's a lean protein that isn't tofu. I LOVE tofu, but I've recently read that if you eat soy, it should be in the form of tempeh or miso, because those forms are fermented. So, I'm just trying to add a little variety.

My source for all this is a very trusted vitamin guy at the health food store. He says that the fermentation process in tempeh and miso neutralizes the phytic acid in it. Soy has lots of phytic acid which, once inside your body, can cause nutritional deficiencies.

Granted, I agree with the other statements about everything in moderation, and I will still consume tofu on occasion. But the deficiency part of this kind of rang true for me, as I eat very very well, but am noticing nutritional deficiencies in my hair, skin, and nails. It just makes sense to my personal situation. So, yeah, I just wanted to add some more variety to my diet.
#14 Old 08-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Store bought seitan, IMO, is barely servicable (sp?). It's soggy & salty and tastes too much like soy sauce. I regularly make seitan sausages and ribs, especially during bbq season. And all I learned I got of the internet, especially vegandad.blogspot.com and fatfreevegan.com. Vegandad, especially, does a lot with wheat gluten and tempeh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I make a cacciatore where my homemade sietan is infused in a tomato, rosemary and white wine sauce for an hour and then served as cutlets. Its amazing. I also make an italian stufado where seitan chunks are simmered for hours imparting a deep rich flavour. I also coat the sietan cutlets in a little seasoned flour and brown before covering with a mushroom gravy. There are a million options. Just find a recipe that looks good and try it.

That sounds like something I need to make. Care to impart your wisdom here?

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
#15 Old 08-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor View Post

Thanks for the links and the info.

To answer some questions...

The seitan I bought was in a sort of savory broth. Not much flavor to it besides a slightly salty one. Also, I did not eat it raw. I mentioned that I had cooked it in a stir fry with all sorts of veggies, rice noodles, and homemade peanut dressing... all the things I love- I just didn't like the seitan.

Seitan is best flavored in the dry ingredient/ wet ingredient phase, even before its mixed, much less initially cooked. Seasoning while re-cooking (as you did in the stir-fry) will add a little sumthin sumthin to it, but I think you should try recipes such as these:

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/03...-sausages.html

and

http://www.chow.com/recipes/11364

And if you want just 'plain' seitan, maybe this one, or another homemade one from a cookbook.

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=112
#16 Old 08-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

No WONDER you didn't like seitan! YOU TRIED WHITE WAVE

I love all their other products. But HATE the seitan. Ugh. I always make it..
#17 Old 08-29-2008, 03:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post

Store bought seitan, IMO, is barely servicable (sp?). It's soggy & salty and tastes too much like soy sauce. I regularly make seitan sausages and ribs, especially during bbq season. And all I learned I got of the internet, especially vegandad.blogspot.com and fatfreevegan.com. Vegandad, especially, does a lot with wheat gluten and tempeh.

That sounds like something I need to make. Care to impart your wisdom here?

This is one of the best tasting things I make on a regular basis. The cutlet recipe makes lots of extra seitan for use in other dishes as well.

Seitan Alla Cacciatore

4-6 seitan cutlets cut in half lengthwise *see below

1/4 to 1/2 cup flour mixed with a tbsp nutritional yeast flakes and some black pepper

1-2 tbsp olive oil

Cacciatore sauce

1 tbsp olive oil

1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced

1 medium onion sliced

2 cloves garlic minced or crushed

1 cup veggie stock mixed with 2 tbsp tomato paste

3/4 cup white wine

1 tsp dried rosemary

salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Method

In a large non-stick skillet, heat the 1-2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. dredge the cutlets in the seasoned flour and brown them on both sides in the oil. Set aside.

Prepare the sauce by adding the 1 tbsp olive oil to the same pan. Over medium high heat, sauté the mushrooms, onion, garlic and rosemary until the onion is tender. Add the cutlets, wine and stock mixed with tomato taste. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes, adding a little water if needed to keep a sauce-like consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with crusty bread or cooked pasta noodles or with rosemary roasted potatoes.

*Seitan Cutlets

Gluten mixture

Dry ingredients:

2 cups pure gluten powder (vital wheat gluten)

2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes

1 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp garlic granules

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Liquid ingredients

1 cup cold water

1/2 cup hot water mixed with 2 tsp Marmite or other yeast extract

2 tbsp ketchup

2 tbsp soy sauce

2 tsp kitchen bouquet or other gravy browner (optional)

Cooking broth:

4 cups water

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup soy sauce

4 tsp marmite

4 tsp kitchen bouquet

Place the cooking broth ingredients into a big saucepan and bring to a simmer, meanwhile:

To make the gluten mix, mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients all at once and mix well until it forms a ball.

To make cutlets, divide the uncooked gluten mixture into 12 pieces and flatten them with your hands and / or a rolling pin as thinly as you can (they will expand).

Place the cutlets in the cooking broth and simmer (do not boil! This makes it spongy) for an hour. Cool and store unused seitan in the cooking broth in the fridge.
#18 Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes! Thank You Mr. Falafel. I've noticed you are always so kind and helpful with posting your recipes.
#19 Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/03...-sausages.html

OH MY GOODNESS those look good

Yum!

I'm all over it
#20 Old 08-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you MrF.

I used to love Chicken Cacciatore. Any substitute for marmite? I've never had it and I don't think I've ever even seen it around here.

#21 Old 08-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:

Thank you MrF.

I used to love Chicken Cacciatore. Any substitute for marmite? I've never had it and I don't think I've ever even seen it around here.

You can use Marmite or Vegamite or any yeast extract. I used to see Marmite in all sorts of British shops in California and there do seem to be a number of British shops all over the US. Or you can buy online:

http://www.buybritish.net/store/cust...string=marmite

I especially recommend all serious veggie chefs keep Marmite around as you will soon find it invaluable in soups and stews to add a wonderful rich depth of flavour, not to mention the uses for TVP and seitan.

If you can't find marmite, use a very rich mushroom stock or ****take mushroom soaking water or if worse comes to worse some soy sauce. But invest in the Marmite, really.

The most common way to eat Marmite is spread thinly on toast but don't waste it like that, spoon it into your dinner while cooking and watch your friends light up and say 'wow thats rich tasting!!'.
#22 Old 08-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with MrFalafel. I find marmite in my spice aisle. I find it works beautifully in seitan and soup bases, particularly in combination with mushroom stock. I make very rich lentil stew with that combo that is to die for!
#23 Old 09-02-2008, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor View Post

Any pictures of what you've done with it would be much appreciated. I love pictures!

How about seitan hot dogs and ribs:

#24 Old 09-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

How about seitan hot dogs and ribs:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page