need help with stir frying tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok please bear with me as I have no natural talent when it comes to cooking, lol. Anyway, I'm planning on making stir fried veggies and tofu with a jarred thai peanut sauce for dinner tomorrow night. I've never cooked with tofu before. How do I do this? Do I have to marinate the tofu first? Does it go in the wok before or after the veggies?

www.sharksavers.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

The way I like it is pressing the tofu between paper towels (about a half hour), cubing it, and frying the tofu cubes in oil until golden, then add in the veggies. Depends on how you like the texture.
#3 Old 08-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

There is certainly an art to making tofu - do it wrong and it's blah, do it right and it's amazing.

You'll want to start off with firm (or better yet - extra firm) tofu. Slice it into 6-8 slices and place these slices on a paper towel and wrap with a dishtowel (you can omit the paper towel if you know your dish towel is really clean ) Set a cutting board on top and something else very heavy on top of that (a pot full of water will do the trick). You may need to change the towels if they get very wet. The idea is to remove as much of the water as possible. (Think of tofu as a sponge - it has water in it and you have to remove it to get your marinade to soak into it). You can then chop the tofu up into cubes and put it in your marinade, if you're using any (you could use the sauce for the marinade). I like using soy sauce + water + garlic and random spices for a marinade, fry up separate and then add later.

I'm sure others will have more ideas for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

What I've been doing lately is marinating extra firm tofu in soy sauce and whatever sauce i'm using for the stir fry and then dredging it in shake and bake (or make your own) and fry them up seperately. I haven't bothered to press it out, I usually buy the shrink wrapped tofu, so it's pretty dry to begin with.

It's gone over really well with DH and DS.
#5 Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks, these are great ideas! I'm really psyched about this because I didn't realize my husband was open to eating tofu and it turns out he is...but of course that means I can't screw it up or else he'll change his mind (the shake and bake thing would be great for him). How long do I need to marinate it in the sauce so it gets the flavor?

www.sharksavers.org
#6 Old 08-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe74 View Post

thanks, these are great ideas! How long do I need to marinate it in the sauce so it gets the flavor?

It will absorb more the longer you leave it - try to give it at least 10-15 minutes, but more is better.
#7 Old 08-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually leave it for an hour or so, but the other day I left it in all day and just kept flipping the tofu around in it.
#8 Old 08-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually make it by sauteeing garlic and onions in olive oil for a few minutes, then add , tofu, peppers and stuff like that and fry for a couple minutes, then add soy sauce, a tiny bit of vinegar, about a teaspoon (or more?) of sugar and paprika, salt, and pepper. Yummmerrrss!!! I'm not sure what peanut sauce tastes like, but I'm sure it would work the same!!

Also, if you ever need ideas for like different stif fries, I LOVE these things!! MOST of them are vegan. (I think one has like anchovies?) But all the rest are labelled in red letters "Vegan!" haha. Anyway, you just make your stirfry things and then add the sauce on top and mix with the noodles!

<3<3<3<3
#9 Old 08-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Tofu browns better "dry" than marinated.

I usually marinate overnight. I'll press my tofu then leave it marinating in tupperware overnight til dinner time... if I'm marinating it.. though things like soy sauce I can get by with an hour or two.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page