So I need a blender and food processor... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Beginner

I've been wanting a food processor for a long time now to make various recipes. I bought a cheap one at Wal-mart once and returned it because it didn't work. I want it to be able to finely grind up veggies and such, grind up dates and nuts for bars, make hummus, plus be able to slice and shred vegetables easily-without spending forever switching attachments. Is there such a thing?

Also, my blender is breaking so I need a new one. Do they make two in one blender/food processers? Or am i better off buying them seperate?

And mainly what brand and style should I buy!!

<I'm going bananas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

What's your price range for this endeavor?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 08-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in love with my kitchen aid food processor. I got it for christmas last year. I think my husband paid $100 for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never encountered a two in one appliance that didnt break on me, at least not at the price range I stick to. I've heard of those Vitamix blenders that can do everything, but they are a huge expense, I still have to decide if I think they are worth it. I've been using a hand me down food processor and am really interested in replacing it. Hope people have some good suggestions.
#5 Old 08-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Beginner

I'd like it to be as cheap as it can whille still having good quality. I'm not going to spend $500 a piece, but I realize that it would be a good investment to pay a little more for better quality.
#6 Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Beginner

Hmmm. I just looked up the vita-mix on the internet and it seems like it pretty much is a blender and food processor. Am I correct? The webste says you can grind grains and chop vegetables in it. It is pricesy, $450-$650.
#7 Old 08-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

My blender actually came from a resale shop, along with my food processor that just went out on me after two years. I bought them for 2 bucks each. I'd suggest plugging them in and making sure they work at the thrift store before walking out with them, and making sure all the pieces are there. People buy these things or get them as gifts and barely use them.

I got ticked off after buying a $45 blender from Wal-Mart and having it blow out on me and just decided to go buy a used one. The blender I found is a nice glass one and it pretty much grinds up anything I throw in there. The food processor was a Black and Decker and it also got the job done.

If you have your heart set on the Vita-Mix, go check out Ebay. There are quite a few on there going for $200-300 right now.
#8 Old 08-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycutie View Post

Hmmm. I just looked up the vita-mix on the internet and it seems like it pretty much is a blender and food processor. Am I correct? The webste says you can grind grains and chop vegetables in it. It is pricesy, $450-$650.

The vita-mix does lots of things, you wouldnt need a food processor if you had one. One of the fancy ones even makes ice cream, heats food, kneads dough, lots of things! From the reviews I heard they are excellent and I believe they have a lifetime warrantee. I might just have to splurg and get one if I am going to keep tossing cheap $50 ones.
#9 Old 08-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I found a blender that came with a food processor container that works well enough if you care to go that route. It's not the most efficient thing in the world, but it's cheap and takes up less space. I've been making smoothies in the blender container and homemade lara bars in the processor container....so it'll do the job.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page