Black Bread Recipes Needed - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm looking for any tried and true black bread recipes. (At least, I *think* that's what it's called. The bread is very dark brown, almost black in color. I don't think there's molasses in the bread, but I'm not sure.) My dad will be visiting this coming week, and I'd love to make this for him. Any advice or recipes? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you are referring to Russian bread. It's usually made with molasses, some coffee, sometimes chocolate and caraway or fennel. Love that bread.

I don't have a tried and true recipe, but I will post you a few that look good.

" Black Bread "

I n g r e d i e n t s

2 1/2 cups water

2 pkgs. dry yeast

1/4 c butter

1/4 c white vinegar

1/4 c blackstrap molasses

1 oz. unsweetened chocolate

4 1/4 cups flour

5 cups rye flour

1. Place 1/2 cup warm water in large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved. Add remaining water, butter, vinegar, molasses, melted chocolate, salt. Slowly stir in 3 cups of flour; blend well. Stir in rye flour and make a soft dough. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Cover with damp, clean dish towel and let rest for 15 minutes. Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 to 15 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

2. Punch dough down. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a ball. Place each ball in a greased 8-inch round cake pan or on large greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

3. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake loaves for 45 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; let cool on wire racks.

Dark Rye and Whole Wheat with Caraway and Sesame Seeds

A healthful bread with a rich dark color

Ingredients

4 tsp. Dry Yeast

2 cups Whole Wheat Bread Flour

2 cups Rye Flour (whole grain)

4 tbsp. Carob Powder

2 tsp. Caraway Seeds

1 tsp. Soya Lecithin, liquid

4 tbsp. Molasses

2 cups Water, warmed to 52°C. (125° F.)

1/2 cup Sesame Seeds (for and outer coating)

Preparation:

Add the ingredients in the order listed, with the exception of the Sesame Seeds. Place the dry yeast and flour in the mixing bowl or in the bread maker container. The total kneading time should be approximately 20 minutes.

Place a thin layer of Sesame Seeds on a bread board or clean counter top. Place the dough on the Sesame Seeds and form into a cylinder about 1/3 m. (12") long. Cut in two pieces and reform into into a loaf making sure that the the entire surface, including the ends are coated with the Sesame Seeds. Final length should be slightly less than the length of the baking pan. Place in two 12 cm. X 24 cm. (4-1/2" X 9") bread pans.

Baking:

Set the oven to warm setting ±45°C (120°F). Be careful that the oven does not overheat. Place the bread pans in the oven to raise the dough. When the dough is slightly over double the size, turn the heat up to 175-180°C (350-360°F). Bake for approximately 35 minutes. When the crust is firm, but not crispy, the bread is done. Remove the bread from the oven and from the baking pans. Let cool on a wire rack.

Black Bread

4 cups unsifted rye flour

3 cups unsifted white flour

1 teaspoons sugar

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups whole bran cereal

2 tablespoons caraway seeds, crushed

2 teaspoons instant coffee

2 teaspoons onion powder

1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed

2 packages active dry yeast

2 1/2 cups water

1/4 cup vinegar

1/4 cup dark molasses

1 ounce square unsweetened chocolate

1/4 cup margarine

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1/2 cup cold water

Combine rye and white flour. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix 2 1/3 cups flour mixture, sugar, salt, cereal, caraway seeds, instant coffee, onion powder, fennel seeds and undissolved active dry yeast. Combine 2 1/2 cups water, vinegar, molasses, chocolate and margarine in a saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquids are warm; margarine and chocolate need not melt. Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough flour to make soft dough. Turn out to lightly floured board. Cover dough and let rise for 15 minutes. Then knead dough until elastic, about 15 minutes. Dough may be sticky. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise about 1 hour until doubles in bulk. Punch dough down; turn out on lightly floured board. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a ball. Place each bowl in center of greased 8 inch round cake pan. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Bake in 350F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until done. Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Continue to cook, stirring, for 1 minute. As soon as bread is baked, brush cornstarch mixture over top of loaves. Return bread to oven for 3 minutes until glaze sets. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
#3 Old 11-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Strix! I found other recipes on the net under "Russian Black Bread." The recipes that you posted look good. Think I'll experiment with the different variations that you posted, and see what I end up with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page