An ode to salt - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but salt is a difficult search on a food related website.

I love salt, and am interested in using all different kinds of salt. When I see the specialty salt section in the store I swoon.

I was driving earlier and thinking salt and pepper are quite similar, yet they are completely different. Salt is one of the few things in our foods that can not be considered/labelled as organic, yet there are so many different kinds and sources there has to be inferior/superior salts out there. I'm not questioning this I just think it is interesting.

I personally love celtic sea salt for any raw food preparation, the salt is just so awesome, but when I'm cooking, I traditionally just use plain kosher salt. I just realized this the other day when I ran out and they didn't have any at the food whole, and the "kosher" sea salt they had is nowhere near the same flavor/intensity as morton's traditional kosher. And I *always* use a small granule sea salt for the table shakers.

What kind of salt do you use. Do you use different salts for different applications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 PM

All sorts of companies "make" organic salt.

I'm generally a plain ol' sea salt kind of gal, but yeah, I'm completely addicted, I'm afraid. When AF is getting ready to visit, I start considering getting one of the salt licks that they use with horses.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 08-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know who or what AF is so i don't really get that...but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_salt

In foods at least you can not say the salt is organic. It will never have an asterisk labeling the salt as organic if it is only "made with organic ingredients", so like it says it's an oxymoron, salt is

You wouldn't happen to have a link to a company that has their stuff labeled as organic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyb View Post

What kind of salt do you use. Do you use different salts for different applications?

plain Alps salt for boiling pasta/potatoes

small granule sea salt for other cooking/baking

coarse sea salt in the salt mill

fleur de sel on avocado and sometimes on other fruits likes peaches/pears

stone salt in some store-bought organic spice mixes

So I mainly use different variations of sea salt.

I don't recall ever having seen salt declared as certified organic where I live & shop either.

It would be hard to consider it as such IMO, because of course salt is only harvested, but not really "grown" agriculturally.

Organic stuff here if salted usually has sea salt in it too.

The caption on the (Slovenian/Adriatic) fleur de sel I'm using at the moment reads

Salz ist Meer, das nicht in den Himmel zurückkehren konnte.

= Salt is sea (ocean) that could not return to heaven.

(or the sky, but I prefer the first - there is only one word for both sky and heaven in German)
#5 Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM

Sorry, AF = Aunt Flo (girly speak, for well, you know).

Google "organic salt" or similar and you'll see what I mean. I think the Hain salt I bought Stateside was labeled as organic.

Quote:

I don't know who or what AF is so i don't really get that...but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_salt

In foods at least you can not say the salt is organic. It will never have an asterisk labeling the salt as organic if it is only "made with organic ingredients", so like it says it's an oxymoron, salt is

You wouldn't happen to have a link to a company that has their stuff labeled as organic?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I love salt, too! I switched over to sea salt...only I can't find one that is a really fine texture like table salt. It says 'fine' but it's quite chunky so I don't use it to sprinkle on my food, but I use it during the cooking process so it dissolves better.
#7 Old 08-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like my salt.

I like using coarse sea salt, although I haven't bought any in quite some time. I'm quite keen on pink salt (also referred to as Himalayan salt), which I find has a very distinctive and delicate taste.

I have to admit that some table salts I've tried appall me; the texture/taste was awful! I try to keep well away from them.
#8 Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I grew up never knowing there was anything other than regular table salt! It wasn't until I came to VB that I heard of 'other' salts. I'd like to find me some black salt. I think I may have to order it online.
#9 Old 08-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I grew up never knowing there was anything other than regular table salt! It wasn't until I came to VB that I heard of 'other' salts. I'd like to find me some black salt. I think I may have to order it online.

pm me I can send you a salt care package. there are several stores around here that sell all kinds. hawaiian red salt (i think) is my next one to try that I have yet to try
#10 Old 08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Alton, what can't you do?!

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0f62XQPBlTE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0f62XQPBlTE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
#11 Old 08-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I have loved salt since I was a kid. One of my earliest memories is getting in trouble for licking the rim around the salt shaker when I was supposed to carry it out to my dad (I was about two). I love shaking it right into my hand and licking it off...used to shake it directly into my mouth, but after clunking the salt shaker into my teeth numerous times...decided safety first.

When I was a kid, my sister and I found where our grandfather kept the salt blocks for the cattle. Between the two of us, we devoured an entire salt block! When it was gone, the others that were left looked dirty, so we went into the pasture to hunt down the salt block that the cattle used. We'd carefully wipe it off and then lick...scrape our teeth against it trying to get granules of it....use nails to try to pry chunks out of it....oooooh, SALT~! *drool*

Anything that is salty...I just have to try. You know those little salt packets that come with a new Neti pot? Yep, tried them. I used to buy potato chips based on the amount of salt on them....yum yum. Oh, just thought of another early memory....before I was two....I remember a plate of french fries. After I licked the salt off of each fry, I asked my mom for more salt. She said I had to eat the fries already on my plate. The cold, wet, kind of gummy, slimy, saltless fries. BLECH~!

When I lived in Korea, one reason I LOVE LOVED LOVED toasted seaweed was because of the salt crusted all over it. *swoon*

Love it love it love it!
#12 Old 08-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm huge salt fan as well. Fine sea salt is my favorite.
#13 Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo_zero View Post

Alton, what can't you do?!

be brief/concise
#14 Old 08-16-2008, 03:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

pm me I can send you a salt care package. there are several stores around here that sell all kinds. hawaiian red salt (i think) is my next one to try that I have yet to try

Thanks for the offer! My daughter has a few stores I haven't been to up by her and I'll be visiting next week. If I don't find it there I'll let you know!
#15 Old 08-16-2008, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I love the salt stories!

I remember taking the rabbit's salt lick and licking it as a child.

I also used to drink pickle juice.

Now, I can't get enough umeboshi vinegar.

The salt I wish I had right now but can't find a good source for: Black salt!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#16 Old 08-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

^you can have some black salt too if you want.

I was getting breakfast stuff at the food whole and got stuck in the salts for a while. I hadn't seen black salt for a couple of years cause I had a LARGE supply of salt and didn't need to go back. The stuff they had today was all geometric and pyramidy and stuff. Like mathematic salt....oooh!

#17 Old 08-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I covet your black salt. Magical, mathematical alchemical SALT!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#18 Old 08-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I was reading this thread with complete indifference (I'm NOT a salt fiend, and rarely buy it), until I got to those pictures of the Black Salt. That's fabulous!

We have our own special salt here, Alea Hawaiian Red Sea Salt. It's supposed to be good, I've never tried it.[attachment=7305:hawaiian-red-sea-salt.gif]
LL

Nec Aspera Terrent
#19 Old 08-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Cost Plus World Market, y'all! In the spice section. There is a whole line of 'gourmet' salt. Red clay (red), Lava (black), Hawaiian alea (pink)... And more. Good stuff. Expensive, but really good!

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

The salt I wish I had right now but can't find a good source for: Black salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I was reading this thread with complete indifference (I'm NOT a salt fiend, and rarely buy it), until I got to those pictures of the Black Salt. That's fabulous!

We have our own special salt here, Alea Hawaiian Red Sea Salt. It's supposed to be good, I've never tried it.Attachment 12871

#20 Old 08-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

So, are you all talking about the same "Black Salt"? The Indian black salt I use is actually pinkish in color (also known in Hindi as काला नमक, kala namak, or sanchal). It's an unrefined mineral salt that is actually pinkish gray and has a strong sulfuric flavor. It's awesome in scrambled tofu and other things to make it taste sorta egg-like.

The pictures of the Black Salt are really cool, but are they more like the black lava salt like NotYet was referring to? That kind isn't going to have the sulfuric-eggy taste but I bet it would be good for something...
#21 Old 08-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Veggie Regular

the pictured salt isnt really sulfuric, not that i can tell anyways. it is black like pictured, but I put some in a friends mouth and it was too salty for her, and when it came out it was all whitish and geometric. :0
#22 Old 08-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

<<<<<---- Salt Whore.

Seriously
#23 Old 08-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

well come on over
#24 Old 08-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

It's awesome in scrambled tofu and other things to make it taste sorta egg-like.

What arer the other things you use it in? I finally got my hands on some, but since I keep my tofu intake really low, I don't know what to use it for. I did put some in a "cream" sauce pasta I made, which was yummy, but I'm wondering what else I can do with it.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#25 Old 08-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

well come on over

#26 Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I love salt in a way that cannot be expressed by words. It's not my fault. It's genetic. I come by it honestly.

*Plans on eventually having to take blood pressure medication.*
#27 Old 08-17-2008, 10:34 PM

I bought some black salt online, and it is good, for making tofu-egg-mayo, but the ratio of salt to the sulphur compounds is too high, and to get any real flavour of egg, you have to add too much blacksalt, from my experience.

Black salt = sodium chloride(as with other food salts)+iron, sulphur compounds. According to Wiki.

#28 Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

What arer the other things you use it in? I finally got my hands on some, but since I keep my tofu intake really low, I don't know what to use it for. I did put some in a "cream" sauce pasta I made, which was yummy, but I'm wondering what else I can do with it.

Don't know the exact recipe, but the mashed chick-pea salad that's so popular here (mock tuna or mock chicken??) is great with Indian Black Salt. Makes it taste a LOTTTTT like egg-salad.

It's really good on oven roasted potatoes, and in the chickpea cutlets from V'con. Also I do a cream gravy (with soy or whstever milk...) and add black salt, it sort of tastes like hollendaise ... sort of...

Indian restaurants sprinkle it over crispy snack mixes, I need to try Roasted Chick Peas with it. Just about anything savory probably would be good.

TnS has a vegan hollendaise sauce recipe on her blog http://tofu-n-sproutz.blogspot.com that's insanely tasty too.
#29 Old 08-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks! I'm going to try some of those ideas. I know I have that chickpea recipe somewhere because it looked sooooo good, so am looking forward to seeing how it tastes with the black salt. I like that potato idea too. I'll have to look for the hollandaise sauce when I have a few more hours. I got sidetracked by a bunch of other stuff on there and forgot all about the salt!

Aside from the black salt, I love, love, love my very tiny collection of sea salts. I have a pink salt that's not black salt, too. The most popular salt at my house is a rock salt and peppercorns in a grinder - it's so yummy on tomatoes, and as an accent to a lot of other foods, too.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#30 Old 08-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I have an Alder-wood Smoked Salt, a Maple infused Apple-Wood smoked salt, some sea salt from Jordan that my Mom brought me (has a really cool package, but just tastes like... salt) and of course my Indian Black Salt. I am rather fond of the smoked salts for BBQs, tofu and roasted potatoes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page