An ode to salt - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 08-19-2008, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

So, black salt makes food taste like eggs?? *makes mental note to never touch black salt*

I've never had exotic salts...other than celtic sea salt, that is. I hope to try some of them some day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZdogs View Post

So, black salt makes food taste like eggs?? *makes mental note to never touch black salt*

I've never had exotic salts...other than celtic sea salt, that is. I hope to try some of them some day.

erase that mental note. They're saying it has a sulphury taste and can be used to mimic. I personally disagree, unless you were mixing with something egg-like in texture and with no flavor.

I personally haven't tried many of the smoked salts. It somewhat worries me about the carcinogens and I'm still somewhat ignorant to their whole process of smoking with salts. But I keep learning and maybe I'll decide its not bad one day.
#33 Old 08-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyb View Post

erase that mental note. They're saying it has a sulphury taste and can be used to mimic. I personally disagree, unless you were mixing with something egg-like in texture and with no flavor.

Wow. Seriously? The Indian Black Salt stuff (NOT the black colored lava salt)?

It smells up my kitchen like cooked eggs as soon as I open the jar! Maybe mine is a stronger brand or fresher or something, but if I hadn't originally liked the flavor of eggs, I would definitely not like Black Salt. One of my kids hates it for that reason - because he used to hate eggs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempeh-Tantrums View Post

Wow. Seriously? The Indian Black Salt stuff (NOT the black colored lava salt)?

It smells up my kitchen like cooked eggs as soon as I open the jar! Maybe mine is a stronger brand or fresher or something, but if I hadn't originally liked the flavor of eggs, I would definitely not like Black Salt. One of my kids hates it for that reason - because he used to hate eggs.

Excuse me, I apparently haven't come across this particular salt. The only blacks I have seen have come from hawaii I believe. The only one I have eaten knowingly and paid attention to flavor is the one i pictured earlier in the thread. back to the store apparently. I never did much care for eggs so maybe I'll hate it, but I find it hard to believe *I* wouldn't like any type of salt

Is the salt black through and through if you were to grind it down? Do all black salts come from india? if you wikipedia black salt it says india, no pictures, and very little information. The other salt pages I have found don't list my pyramidical salt. knowledge?
#35 Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Excuse me, I apparently haven't come across this particular salt. The only blacks I have seen have come from hawaii I believe. The only one I have eaten knowingly and paid attention to flavor is the one i pictured earlier in the thread. back to the store apparently. I never did much care for eggs so maybe I'll hate it, but I find it hard to believe *I* wouldn't like any type of salt

Is the salt black through and through if you were to grind it down? Do all black salts come from india? if you wikipedia black salt it says india, no pictures, and very little information. The other salt pages I have found don't list my pyramidical salt. knowledge?

It's kind of dark purple, the one I got, anyway, and really does taste disconcertingly like eggs. I had to ask everyone who came over to try it just to see the surprise on their faces!

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#36 Old 08-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

It's kind of dark purple, the one I got, anyway, and really does taste disconcertingly like eggs. I had to ask everyone who came over to try it just to see the surprise on their faces!

<runs to store>
#37 Old 08-20-2008, 06:58 AM

i read that the reason it tastes like egg is because the blue coating of a boiled egg has the same, or similar sulphur compounds.

#38 Old 08-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

that's really interesting. i wonder what the "blue coating" is?

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#39 Old 08-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

*tries not to puke* Too much egg talk in this salt thread. I'm grateful for the knowledge that I should avoid black salt at all cost...but perhaps future e** talk could be in code?
#40 Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

I need to get that salt... TNS told me about it a while back, I just keep forgetting!
#41 Old 08-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

To answer your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

The Indian black salt I use is actually pinkish in color (also known in Hindi as काला नमक, kala namak, or sanchal). It's an unrefined mineral salt that is actually pinkish gray and has a strong sulfuric flavor.

Indian Black Salt is pinkish/greyish/lavender-ish in color.

I never use Wikipedia, because I seldom, if ever, find really reliable info.

And sorry, I have no idea about the black pyramid crystals - they are COOL though!

HERE is the Black Salt I use. I buy it at a little Indian Grocery, I doubt most regualr grocery stores sell it.

And here are some other sources with pictures...

Black Salt: LINK

#42 Old 08-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

well pink salt is pink salt, why would they call it black. flecks of black whatever. It is good salt

wikipedia is actually good for things that aren't really left to much interpretation, and it says almost word for word your quote as well.
#43 Old 08-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

well pink salt is pink salt, why would they call it black. flecks of black whatever. It is good salt

wikipedia is actually good for things that aren't really left to much interpretation, and it says almost word for word your quote as well.

When black salt is in its rock salt form, it is black. Once it is ground it takes on a more pinkish/lavendarish tone.

Here's a picture for comparison. I wish I could find a really big one:

#44 Old 08-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

i wish it was easier to come across large rocks. I used to have some beautiful salt rocks, but they got lost last time i moved
#45 Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

So what we have learned today is:

Pink salt IS good. And pink. It's usually Himalayan or Hawaiian. But it's not Indian Black Salt, which is pink in color, but called black salt, even though it's not black. And some salt IS actually black but is not the same as Indian Black Salt.

**head explodes**
#46 Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Himalayan and Hawaiian salt.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#47 Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry to bump...

But do you think a person could dissolve salt, say kosher, to then evaporate it and form a piece of crystal salt - i hope someone who reads this thinks that made since.
#48 Old 04-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Of course you can! I think it would just be a matter of dissolving some salt into water until you can't get any more salt to dissolve, suspending a piece of string in the glass and waiting until all the water evaporates away.
#49 Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

you don't think it would just for a crystal salt rock the shape of the container? you think it needs a string?
#50 Old 04-18-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoTheTyrant View Post

Sorry to bump...

But do you think a person could dissolve salt, say kosher, to then evaporate it and form a piece of crystal salt - i hope someone who reads this thinks that made since.

I know you can make bigger crystals of salt through evaporation that are physically different than the original kosher salt crystals, but I don't think you could make one massive crystal. It tends to like to separate into individual crystals, but those crystals are very cool to look at. Salt (both tablesalt and evaporated salt crystals) is actually a very big player in a current photomicrography series I've got at a local gallery right now. I'd link to my online website so people could see, but I don't want to get accused of self-promoting.

Edit: let me clarify "one massive crystal": I'm talking about a giant piece of halite (salt) that you'd find in nature. You can't make that. You CAN make a rocky cluster of the crystals that form when salt water evaporates. They'll form on the side of the container, or on a string, on whatever you give them.
#51 Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I generally use kosher salt as an all-purpose salt, hawaiian rock salt on foccacia bread and in earthy tasting soups, and smoked salt as a garnish or in stuff that needs a boost of flavour.

Smoked salt is GOD. Whenever I am craving bacon, I just eat smoked salt. Works like a charm. Smoked salt is also AWESOME on omelettes. Yum.........
#52 Old 04-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

They'll form on the side of a container just fine, like Eryn indicated. I just think if you want to be able to actually chip some off and use it, a string might help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page