Vegan with a Vengence vs. Veganomicon? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-25-2008, 11:44 AM

Which is better? What is the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I think they they're both equally good, they just have different recipes. Personally I like veganomicon better, not sure why, I guess because it's bigger and has more stuff, lol.
#3 Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 PM

Ah ok. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

i've gotten more use out of vwav than vcon--but i love them both. Vcon has some great how to handle a vegetable instructions and how to cook a bean etc--which if you didnt already know is invaluable.
#5 Old 07-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Another vote for Veganomicon.
#6 Old 07-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I love both

I do feel I've used vcon more than vwav but it may just be because there is more in it!
#7 Old 07-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought both at the same time and I think I may have used V'con a few more times than VwaV but not by much. So far, I've liked all the recipes I've tried from both so you really can't go wrong. V'con, as already mentioned, has more recipes so that would be an advantage.
#8 Old 07-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Veganomicon is more accessible than VwaV.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 07-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Beginner

Going to have to cast a vote for both.

If you want a giant bit 'o everything: Vcon. If you want a smaller but still giant bit 'o everything: VwaV. Except both are excellent and I would hate to be without either
#10 Old 07-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan with a vengeance. I adore everything about it.
#11 Old 07-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Beginner

I would have to say that I use more recipes and advise from Vcon, but if I want to go the extra mile I go with VwaV. It just seems that the recipes I get out of there have a bit of extra *flair* to them. But for everyday, Vcon can't be beat.
#12 Old 07-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Veganomicon is more appealing to a wider audience. It woul have been better if they bound it in faux human skin with metal clasps and had Bruce Campell as a spokesperson, though.
#13 Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadinSacto View Post

Veganomicon is more appealing to a wider audience. It woul have been better if they bound it in faux human skin with metal clasps and had Bruce Campell as a spokesperson, though.

Or, at the very least had it edited properly before release and offered new copies to those who had purchased the error-ridden copies after the fact.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#14 Old 07-28-2008, 09:55 AM

I like Vcon better too.
#15 Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Or, at the very least had it edited properly before release and offered new copies to those who had purchased the error-ridden copies after the fact.

Or exchange the poorly-edited copies sent to libraries which are then checked out by cheap and unsuspecting vegans who want to see what all the hype is about....

#16 Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 AM

Another vote for Veganomicon. Like everyone else said, it's more extensive and I've loved everything I made in it so far. I have VwaV also. It's great, but some things I've made from it I've felt are hit or miss.
#17 Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempeh-Tantrums View Post

Or exchange the poorly-edited copies sent to libraries which are then checked out by cheap and unsuspecting vegans who want to see what all the hype is about....

Yeah, that too!!!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#18 Old 07-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I just made the chocolate chip cookies from VwaV and was not too impressed. It was my first time trying out vegan baking though, so maybe I did something wrong. Anybody else try this recipe?
#19 Old 07-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Veganomicon. I have both and just use V'Con more. Not saying the recipes are better, you just have a bigger selection and all of the basics are in the first pages of the book, a great reference! I seriously need to use VwaV more!
#20 Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Basically, Veganomicon is an all-purpose vegan cookbook. It includes many recipes for things that you would find in an omni cookbook too, like salads and such, that are "coincidentally vegan." Vegan with a Vengeance includes less in the way of "coincidentally vegan" cuisine of the sort you might find in an omni cookbook by Patricia Wells or the like, and is more focused on the sorts of dishes which usually aren't vegan but which can be adapted to veganism, such as pancakes, omelets, etc.

If you're an experienced cook with regard to omni cuisine, you know your way around sautéed kale or lentil soup, you already have a lot of omni cookbooks, and you just need to know how to make vegan muffins or pesto sauce or the like, I think Vegan with a Vengeance might be a more economical investment: it's cheaper, and it's more focused on the things that you don't already know how to make.

If you're not very experienced with cooking in general, and/or you're just going to have one cookbook that you're going to use to supply you with pretty much all of your recipes, then I'd say go with Veganomicon. It will supply you with the information on how to make pretty much everything that vegans eat, not just the things that only vegans eat.

Also, I think Vegan with a Vengeance is slightly more humorous, and contains a bit more punk references and lefty politics -- whether that's good or bad depends on your perspective.
#21 Old 08-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegchica13 View Post

I just made the chocolate chip cookies from VwaV and was not too impressed. It was my first time trying out vegan baking though, so maybe I did something wrong. Anybody else try this recipe?

Not *all* the recipes are the end-all magical perfect vegan recipe - some of them really aren't that great - OR creative - or even GOOD! I know that's sacreligious, but step outside the hyped-up circle of brainwashed VWaV/V'con followers and you'll hear a lot of dissatisfaction and so-so reviews. They're great IF you like that style of cooking-seasoning-ingredients, or IF you always need a recipe/can't cook "outside the box" or IF you're blindly following the vegan fad-of-the-year. Otherwise? Eh, plenty of BETTER cookbooks and writers and tastier vegan recipes out there.
#22 Old 08-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not *all* the recipes are the end-all magical perfect vegan recipe - some of them really aren't that great - OR creative - or even GOOD! I know that's sacreligious, but step outside the hyped-up circle of brainwashed VWaV/V'con followers and you'll hear a lot of dissatisfaction and so-so reviews. They're great IF you like that style of cooking-seasoning-ingredients, or IF you always need a recipe/can't cook "outside the box" or IF you're blindly following the vegan fad-of-the-year. Otherwise? Eh, plenty of BETTER cookbooks and writers and tastier vegan recipes out there.

Beautifully put!!! Sacreliciously spoken!!!

#23 Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I bought 3 or 4 vegan cookbooks recently and am going to cook from them in order to do a review for my blog--i already have rights in fact to publish some recipes so that maybe others can try other cookbooks too. One thing I found after reading the other books though is that Isa Chandra is amazingly easy to follow, and her recipes aren't overly complicated.

I found Sara Kramer to be a very good cookbook writer as well, though unfortunately I'm not reviewing one of hers (yet). I'm hoping that despite my doubts I'll find that all the ingredient-hunting that I'm finding these recipes are calling for it was totally worth it. We shall see!

Do you have any cookbooks to recommend?
#24 Old 08-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I couldnt live without my veganomicon
#25 Old 08-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They're great IF you like that style of cooking-seasoning-ingredients, or IF you always need a recipe/can't cook "outside the box" or IF you're blindly following the vegan fad-of-the-year. Otherwise? Eh, plenty of BETTER cookbooks and writers and tastier vegan recipes out there.

As someone who cooks simple meals from scratch most of the time without strictly following a written recipe (in fact when trying new recipes, I tend to change and add to them right away), and who doesnt have access to many vegan cookbooks at bookstores or libraries to flip through them and compare, I have to rely on online reviews and recommendations.

I found that (chron. order of purchase backw.) Veganomicon, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, ExtraVeganZa, Vive le Vegan! and Professional Vegetarian Cooking (see this earlier post for authors and brief descriptions) all came up to my expectations in their own way, and I have taken lots of valuable information and inspiration from all of them since.

I would recommend VCON over VWAV especially to someone who is looking for a first or only vegan cookbook, because it is clearly structured, easy to follow, and works.

Of course it all depends on your individual preferences, dietary history, and cooking skills.

Probably for someone who is already an expert at several ethnic gourmet cuisines it is much too simple, and for another person who is seeking one to one imitations of SAD meat & potato dishes it is too alternative.

But to another one it may be just the change and challenge he needed to appreciate vegan food and cooking.

Everyone has to find out on their own I guess.
#26 Old 08-01-2008, 04:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I love V'con but that's no surprise. I had VwaV years ago and loved it but it walked out after I broke up with the only vegan I ever dated. I miss it but find V'con so interesting, varied, and well laid out that I'm pretty happy. I haven't even tried half of the recipes I want to. Usually, after a few months I've tried everything I want to from a cookbook and the recipes I like are marked. I then tend to stop browsing and really enjoying a cookbook.

I too cook from scratch and often just create. Those meals are good and fun! I do really like a good recipe though and enjoy trying things I wouldn't have thought of. The typos do bother me but not so much that I can't use it. Someday I'll have dozens of good vegan cookbooks cause I do like an actual cookbook vs. printed online ones.
#27 Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegchica13 View Post

I've had problems with many of the cookie recipes from V'con/VwaV. I'm not a fan of the chocolate chip, my Nana's oatmeal cookie recipe veganized is way better than V'cons. The Pistachio Rosewaters came out like hockey pucks. I also tend to either have to add more flour or more moisture cause the cookie dough is either too wet like cake batter, or too crumbly.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#28 Old 08-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't say I've ever found a cookbook solution for baking. There's too much look and feel to it.
#29 Old 08-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

The Pistachio Rosewaters came out like hockey pucks.

I though I was going to lose a tooth the first time I tried these. I think they were waaaayyy to oily. If I decide to try them again, I will add more flour and see how that helps. I will most likely just try the cupcake version sometime though since I like the flavor combination.
#30 Old 08-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like VWAV. Everything I've tried from there has tasted great and it has a really personal feel to it. I tend to not use it much though because a lot of the ingredients are hard to find and sometimes quite expensive.

Although I use V'con quite a lot I've experienced some not so good recipes in there. The personal touch isn't there much and it's mostly ordinary stuff. However the layout is great and theres lots of extra useful information for beginner cooks. I tend to change recipes anyway so I'll find ways to perfect the stuff I'm not too keen on.

Someone mentioned Sarah Kramers books...I have How it all Vegan and The Garden of Vegan and I really wasn't very impressed. Way too many recipes turned out rubbish and I get too scared to try new ones incase they suck :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page