Margarine - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 AM

I have not been able to find any margarine brands that are suitable for vegans! There isn't earth balance in any of my local stores either. I live in Ontario, Canada if that helps...any sugestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you get Nucoa margerine in Canada? A friend turned me onto it, it's vegan and CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!
#3 Old 07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Smart Balance Light is vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned

where in ontario are you?

if you're near a relatively large town or city, or decent healthfood store, you should be able to get Earth Balance (the first and third ones on that page) there. thats the only vegan margarine i've ever seen in ontario.

it might be worth you taking a little daytrip every few months to stock up on things like this, if its hard for you to find them locally. i take a trip into toronto for special treats every now and then- but if thats far from you, somewhere closer might have it. you could also hassle a local shop to order it- a few places near me have started stocking it recently..

if not, the closest you'll get is one of the presidents choice margarines- the lactose free one, or fleischmanns lactose free margarine, both of which would be vegan, if they didn't have vitamin D3 in them.

#5 Old 07-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Beginner

If you have no luck finding any, then you could do what I do sometimes and use avocado as spread - seriously, it works!
#6 Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 PM

Ok heres what you do:

-Go to your local supermarket.

-Ask the manager if they carry any non-dairy margarine.

-If they say no, politely give some reasons that they should carry it. Like for people with allergies.

Thats what me and my dad did where I live and the next time I went grocery shopping there was a big display of Earth Balance.
#7 Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

we can get earth balance in ontario... which is vegan. There's also verve, which I believe is vegan. (I would have to read the label carefully when Im there next, but its sold in health food stores and all that...)

What part of Ontario are you in?
#8 Old 07-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

we can get earth balance in ontario... which is vegan. There's also verve, which I believe is vegan. (I would have to read the label carefully when Im there next, but its sold in health food stores and all that...)

What part of Ontario are you in?

i checked out verve a couple of years ago. for the one i saw, the ingredients were:

canola oil, water, modified palm oil, flax oil (5%), sunflower oil, soybean oil, palm oil, sea salt, whey powder, soy lethicin, monoglycerides, natural flavour, potassium sorbate, citric acid, vitamin a, vitamin d, alpa-tocopherol.

its not vegan due to the whey powder, and i was also be concerned about the sources of the vitamins, natural flavour and monogylcerides.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page