Which foods are alkalinizing ash foods? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I've seen partial lists but I've never seen an entire list which shows which foods are alkalinizing and which are acidifying. Does anyone know where I can find one? I'm specifically looking for where green leafy vegetables fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Bodily pH does not vary significantly from its usual 7.40 based on what one eats, as long as the diet is somewhere within shouting distance of balanced. (Ok, if you eat a whole bushel of tomatoes, I would not guarantee the outcome.) The pH of the food and its metabolic products fail to overcome the body's natural control mechanisms that stabilize pH.

Urine pH can be affected, as that's where any extra acid is thrown away.
#3 Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

I've seen partial lists but I've never seen an entire list which shows which foods are alkalinizing and which are acidifying. Does anyone know where I can find one? I'm specifically looking for where green leafy vegetables fall.

I have read several books about this, and green leafy vegetables are alkalinizing, as well as fruits, even citrus fruits. Authors vary when it comes to legumes, but grains and animal products are acid forming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios View Post

Bodily pH does not vary significantly from its usual 7.40 based on what one eats, as long as the diet is somewhere within shouting distance of balanced. (Ok, if you eat a whole bushel of tomatoes, I would not guarantee the outcome.) The pH of the food and its metabolic products fail to overcome the body's natural control mechanisms that stabilize pH.

Urine pH can be affected, as that's where any extra acid is thrown away.

Its not that the body's pH varies according to what is eaten, its the cost of maintaining that pH. If you don't include alkaline foods in your diet, your body will rob the minerals from your bones and teeth to maintain your blood pH, which cannot be allowed to change significantly without resulting in death. Your kidneys will also suffer from years of having to deal with too much dietary acid.

And its not the pH of the food that influences the body's acid/alkaline balance, its the minerals contained in the food that are released during digestion. Foods high in phosphorus, for example, will yield acidic substances after digestion, regardless of the initial pH of the food before consumption.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I have heard about maintaining a pH balance in the body, but I don't understand why it's important. Could you explain pH and why alkaline foods are important?

It amazes me how little attention the value of balanced pH has garnered from the mainstream medical world. Positive acid/alkaline balance is one of the most important factors in athletic performance. In my opinion, by disregarding this fact, sport supplement manufactures have significantly reduced the effectiveness of their products. In fact some of the energy bars currently on the market are the worst offenders. Processed for the sake of shelf life and convenience, and consequently denatured and acid forming, many energy bars are not much more than disguised junk food.

When acidic forming food is consumed, starting with digestion and continuing until elimination, it produces toxins that the body must deal with. Denatured foods are toxin producers and as a result have the greatest negative impact on pH balance within the body. Highly refined and processed, denatured foods are void of any usable nutrients, yet retain their caloric value - the worst combination. Toxins in the body lead to premature aging through cell degeneration. Aside from food, most prescription drugs, artificial sweeteners and synthetic vitamin and mineral supplements are extremely acid forming...

http://www.vegparadise.com/athlete7.html
#5 Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I have read several books about this, and green leafy vegetables are alkalinizing, as well as fruits, even citrus fruits. Authors vary when it comes to legumes, but grains and animal products are acid forming.

I've read that raw spinach is alkalinizing, but I haven't seen anything about kale or collard greens. I assume based on your post that they're both alkalinizing, right? I'd be curious as to which books you've read about it. That would be very helpful. I'm also curious as to what the 80/20 ratio means. Is there a point total for some foods being more alkalinizing than others, or are all foods equal and 80% of our food should be alkalinizing?
#6 Old 07-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

W
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Its not that the body's pH varies according to what is eaten, its the cost of maintaining that pH. If you don't include alkaline foods in your diet, your body will rob the minerals from your bones and teeth to maintain your blood pH, which cannot be allowed to change significantly without resulting in death. Your kidneys will also suffer from years of having to deal with too much dietary acid.

And its not the pH of the food that influences the body's acid/alkaline balance, its the minerals contained in the food that are released during digestion. Foods high in phosphorus, for example, will yield acidic substances after digestion, regardless of the initial pH of the food before consumption.

While I wouldn't call myself convinced at this point, that's the most cogent and reasonable explanation I've heard on this topic. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page