Good, Usable Cookbooks - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I am getting bored with my food again... I tend to get into ruts where I make the same things over and over, and, let's be honest, that's no fun! Can anyone recommend some really good cookbooks? I am not a great cook, but I can follow a recipe well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

A lot of people (me included) love the recipes in Veganomicon and Vegan with a Vengeance.

Have you looked at vegweb.com? There's TONS of great recipes there!
#3 Old 07-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I love vegweb! My recent favorite from there are the Chick'n Bakes listed under kid friendly food!

I make alot of food from scratch, but I pick up Veganomicon regularly, it's a very good cookbook to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh there are so many awesome cookbooks out there, I don't know where to start.

I use Vegan Planet pretty much every single day. It's huge! It has 555 pages (I checked) I think it has about 400 recipes in totoal. It has 20 different chapters. The chapters iclude "love at first bite", "going with the grain" and "simply stuffed".

I have two recipes that I make at least once a month. The Indian-spiced lentil soup and the "Backyard barbecue chili". I can't cook at all and I find the recipes easy to follow.

Vegweb kicks as by the way.
#5 Old 07-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian is a good one if you like to experiment or just stick to simple dishes. I'm a picky eater, so I haven't had much luck with traditional printed cookbooks.

I use recipzaar all the time. They have a vegetarian and vegan section.

Supercook is great, you can enter all the ingredients you normally have on hand, and it'll list recipes that use them. And give you additional recipes that only need 1 or 2 more ingredients from the store.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#6 Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM

My first vegetarian cookbook was "1,000 Vegetarian Recipes" by Carol Gelles. It's fantastic and very user friendly. I have some omni friends that I let borrow it who loved it. Since I'm veering towards being vegan I noticed that a lot of the recipes can be veganized rather easily also.
#7 Old 07-16-2008, 03:11 AM
Banned

my mom loves vegweb!
#8 Old 07-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Some of my favorite cookbooks are:

~V'con (of course)

~Veg Times Cookbook (Just got it but already marked a billion things. Most easily veganized, like the mag.)

~Moosewood Simple Suppers (Not even vegetarian. It's pescatarian but only has one chapter on fish that I've obviously never even glanced through. It's useable. It's delicious quick food. Sorta veganizeable. I have put this down for about the past year in favor of V'con and others but still a wonderful, inspiring cookbook)

~Shop for random cookbooks. Go to yard sales (though you'll likely not find veg ones but they'll be cheap!), go to used bookstores, book sales at schools, your library etc and just stock up on different cookbooks. Things that inspire you. Buy a cookbook of a certain region that has food you love but might not cook so much, just be careful the ingredients are readily available.

Have fun! Occasionally I get bored with my food too. I usually go to the grocery store/HFS a few days after I've just been and wander for awhile. I buy things that look good. Just extra stuff since I know all the meals have been planned and purchased. It helps me figure out what I'm in the mood for.

Let us know if you buy a fun new cookbook!

HTH!
#9 Old 07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like vegan planet because a lot of the recipes are strange and call for a lot of ingredients I'd have to make a separate shopping trip for.

My favorite cookbook is Veggieboards
#10 Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM

I have Vegan Planet and have enjoyed what I've cooked from there, but my favorite is definitely Vegan With A Vengeance.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 07-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

can we recommend some raw 'cook'books or are you just looking for regular cookbooks?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page