butter tarts? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-30-2003, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone have a butter tart recipe that doesn't use eggs/dairy?

My recipe only calls for one egg (and vegetable shortening) so it isn't too bad, but it'd be nice to find one that doesn't have any lacto-ovo elements at all.

I did check vegweb.com, and did a search on this board, but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2003, 03:10 PM
RGR
Beginner

I suppose you could use egg replacer or a quarter cup of whizzed silken tofu. Perhaps you could post your question on Vegsource, and see what Chef Deb has to say? Btw, I've never heard of butter tarts - what are they, exactly?
#3 Old 10-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post

I suppose you could use egg replacer or a quarter cup of whizzed silken tofu. Perhaps you could post your question on Vegsource, and see what Chef Deb has to say? Btw, I've never heard of butter tarts - what are they, exactly?

Butter tarts are pretty simple... they are tarts, and the filling consists of butter (or margerine or vegetable shortening), brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and an egg (at least that's what my recipe is). They are very very sweet. Since there are so few materials, I'm not sure how easily one can be replaced without it changing the taste/texture a lot.

I have never been to vegsource... maybe I'll check it out. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds like what I'd call treacle tart, which has golden syrup, margarine, sugar and breadcrumbs in (not treacle though, bizarrely) and is incredibly sweet. I can root out the recipe if you like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page