Best veggie burger for a BBQ? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-04-2008, 05:06 AM
SG3

Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys think is the best veggie burger that has that meaty taste? Somthing that a omni would like. Were having a BBQ today and I was wondering which one I should get. I had the amys qtr pounder (I wanted to try it bc its nice and big like a real burger). It was ok nice in size but didnt have that meaty taste. Also, what's the best veggie burger overall, Doesnt have to taste like meat but I mean just somthing tasty! Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-04-2008, 06:06 AM
Banned

Fry's burgers http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-..._6___450g.html But not placed directly on grill. Instead, place them in tinfoil and put some BBQ sauce on them and then place the tinfoil on the grill so the burger gets heated up instead of 'cooked' directly by the flames.
#3 Old 07-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Boca makes one called something like Griller's Prime (?). It even has little grill marks on it.

It has a kind of smoky flavor. Not sure whether it's vegan though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-04-2008, 09:23 AM
SG3

yeah where can u buy those Fry's burgers? I think I've had the grilled prime, theyre pretty good I may just have to go with those
#5 Old 07-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I recently went to a barbecue and brought Boca Burgers. They were so good with all the fixings-- especially the ketchup and pickle! I swear it tastes just like how meat used to taste (though, the last burger I had was 17 years ago).
#6 Old 07-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Beanitarian

I like Morningstar's mushroom variety.

I've found I actually prefer grilled tofu with BBQ sauce or a grilled portabella over a store-bought veggie burger.

Beanitarian.
#7 Old 07-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah... I imagine "what's the best burger" would be answered 18293745 different ways here on VB. Everyone has their own preference for taste, texture and ingredients...

I've found the Amy's Texas Burgers to be most Omni-Popular, surprisingly, as well as Morningstar Farms Grillers (which are NOT vegan).

I would have thought Boca would have been because it seems "meaty" like to me, but I never actually ate burgers, so I wouldn't know...
#8 Old 07-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

All I know is not the "veggie" style burgers, they always fall apart so easily and on a grill that would be tragic. The mock-meat one's hold together well enough for grilling, but I don't know which is best.
#9 Old 07-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

What about Amy's Quarter Pounders? I bought some with the intent of using on a grill...will they be OK? Any precautions?

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#10 Old 07-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

What about Amy's Quarter Pounders? I bought some with the intent of using on a grill...will they be OK? Any precautions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG3 View Post

I had the amys qtr pounder (I wanted to try it bc its nice and big like a real burger). It was ok nice in size but didnt have that meaty taste.

Just read the thread before responding....

The OP answered this in the very first post.
#11 Old 07-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Just read the thread before responding....

The OP answered this in the very first post.

The OP failed to be clear if they used them on the GRILL, which was my question. They were just talking about the taste.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#12 Old 07-05-2008, 01:59 PM
SG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoun07 View Post

The OP failed to be clear if they used them on the GRILL, which was my question. They were just talking about the taste.

Haha Its all good guys!! Yeah I grilled it it was ok, have you tried yours yet? It is nice and big, which is good, but it doesnt really have that meat taste/texture it actually has more of a crispy texture which isn't bad but just not a meaty texture... I actually ended up having Boca's all American flame grill, it was good and I've had it before, I just wish it was juicier! I was about to get morningstars grilled prime but didnt, probably should've since Ive never tried it and since morningstar makes the best most realitic mock chicken IMO. But I didnt get it bc its 2x the fat and a bit more expensive. I also grilled the tofurky sausage and boy was it tasty! If you leave It on the grill for long it gets crispy which I liked!
#13 Old 07-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG3 View Post

But I didnt get it bc its 2x the fat and a bit more expensive...

Fat is what makes the MSF burgers "juicy".

That said, vegeburgers DO dry out on the grill, they just warm up, they don't actually cook. Meat has all sorts of nasty blood and grossness that makes it "juicy" when cooked, veggie products will never be able to mimic this exactly.

Cook (heat) your burger with a BBQ sauce or marinade, or on foil so it so it doesn't dry out, thats about as close as you'll get to the texture.
#14 Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Hey i saw someone liked the mornigstar burgers and id just like to point out that the garden veggie ones i know have egg and milk in them so they arent really "vegan" at all. Just thought that someone might like to know that!
#15 Old 07-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Some grill tips: If you're going to grill the burger directly instead of using tinfoil, be sure you spray the grill down with some cooking oil first (before you light the grill of course!). If you don't have that option, rub the patties down with some olive oil before you put them on the grill. Until they lose a bit moisture, treat them nice and tender. A spatula is better than tongs at first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page