Fresh strawberries - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I recently picked like a whole bunch of strawberries & am trying to figure out how to keep them from disintegrating quickly. It's been a few days & they're getting wrinkly & not looking as good as when I picked. How do I keep them or freeze them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't keep them longer than 2 days (in the fridge), if possible it is best to eat them fresh i. e. the same day or the next.

You can also cut them into pieces (halves/quarters depending on size) and mix them with some sugar to make sort of an instant compote (use quickly too).

Click -> How to freeze strawberries

I wouldn't freeze them now if they already have gone wrinkly, next time if you have picked more than you can eat, freeze them right away.
#3 Old 06-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I went strawberry picking this year too and I had strawberries everywhere. I made a zillion things with them and when I could eat another strawberry I dehydrated them and froze them.

At this point, I would slice and freeze them or puree them and make smoothies or daquiries pronto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I just went strawberry picking the other day--and picked 16 quarts! I think that there is a lot of freezer jam in my future!!
#5 Old 06-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually stem them and lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze them and put them in bags. Mind you I go through them so quick they don't have time to go bad. I usually use them in smoothies and stuff.
#6 Old 06-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

You could bake a pie or a crisp or something. Mmm Dessert.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 06-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I slice them, stick them in quart bags, and freeze them. Quick and easy. The texture's not good enough for plain snacking (the sugar helps with that if you use it), but I can just thaw out one bag a day all winter and get a fresh strawberry taste.........or close at least.
#8 Old 06-24-2008, 06:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masja View Post

I usually stem them and lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze them and put them in bags. Mind you I go through them so quick they don't have time to go bad. I usually use them in smoothies and stuff.

Stem them? Cookie sheet, really?
#9 Old 06-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkace View Post

Stem them? Cookie sheet, really?

"Stem them" means to remove the green part which is much easier when they are fresh than after they have been frozen.

Freezing stuff on a cookie sheet is a common technique because if you just through the fresh berries in a back into the freezer, they will all freeze to each other. If you freeze a layer on a cookie sheet and then put them in bag, they will stay separated in the freezer.
#10 Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinoa View Post

I wouldn't keep them longer than 2 days (in the fridge), if possible it is best to eat them fresh i. e. the same day or the next.

You can also cut them into pieces (halves/quarters depending on size) and mix them with some sugar to make sort of an instant compote (use quickly too).

Click -> How to freeze strawberries

I wouldn't freeze them now if they already have gone wrinkly, next time if you have picked more than you can eat, freeze them right away.

The site says they lose their shape and texture when freezing them. Do they maintain the same nutrients when you freeze them?
#11 Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

The site says they lose their shape and texture when freezing them. Do they maintain the same nutrients when you freeze them?

I have heard they maintain nutrients better when frozen than if they are left out for more than a few days after picking when unfrozen.
#12 Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

They will get mushy, but the nutrients, as Bios said, are actully better preserved if frozen immeditely, than sitting out for a few days... same reason frozen veggies actually have more nutrients than fresh, a lot of the time.

They hold their shape and color and stay firmer if sliced and mixed with a light sugar syrup before freezing. Which I realize most people don't want - but then you just thaw and use like any other berries - put on pancakes, waffles, cake, in smoothies, on cereal, etc...
#13 Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM

You should definitely make Kittee's strawberry pie. Oh, yes, indeed! It's fantastic! And wonderful for summer since it's not a baked pie. Just pull it out the fridge and have a piece while dangling your footsies in the pool.

http://kitteekake.blogspot.com/2008/...must-make.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page