Tofu Overcooked/Overprocessed ? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Tofu is basically made from Soy Beans. There are several recipes out there that further cook the Tofu in terms of grilling it, or pureeing it and then baking it as pizza topping etc., How does all this overcooking/overprocessing affect its nutrition content etc., ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvijay View Post

Tofu is basically made from Soy Beans. There are several recipes out there that further cook the Tofu in terms of grilling it, or pureeing it and then baking it as pizza topping etc., How does all this overcooking/overprocessing affect its nutrition content etc., ?

Thanks.

Tofu is already very processed. I think worrying about cooking it in a recipe being the act that makes it "over processed" is redundant.

I like tofu - but honestly by the time it is tofu it's already a highly processed food.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#3 Old 06-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

really? I don't consider tofu 'overprocessed'--it's been made for ages by simply coagulating fresh warm soymilk... texturized vegetable protein or soy protein isolate I can see as being overprocessed, but something that could be done as early as 900 AD I don't see in the same light, you know? I consider foods that only recently have been able to spring up due to our new, vamped up intense chemistry and the wierd, totally unnatural states we can take things to with our machines (extreme temperatures, pressures, chemicals we could not previously handle, etc.) the 'processed' foods...

Cooking tofu is supposed to be necessary--I know I can eat a little bit of cooked tofu and be ok for the most part. Raw I'll end up in the washroom feeling horrible and likely having my tofu come up for a visit... I don't know what that says exactly, but I do know it's a very good idea to cook your tofu even if its just a light steam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

really? I don't consider tofu 'overprocessed'--it's been made for ages by simply coagulating fresh warm soymilk... texturized vegetable protein or soy protein isolate I can see as being overprocessed, but something that could be done as early as 900 AD I don't see in the same light, you know? I consider foods that only recently have been able to spring up due to our new, vamped up intense chemistry and the wierd, totally unnatural states we can take things to with our machines (extreme temperatures, pressures, chemicals we could not previously handle, etc.) the 'processed' foods...

I see what you're saying. I think I'm looking at it a bit differently. Hopefully I can explain why I said that it is a highly processed food without sounding like a pedantic b*tch. LOL

I think if the OP is worried about cooking tofu (for the very brief time that tofu needs to be cooked) affecting or destroying the nutrients in soy, then the process of turning a soybean into soy milk and then the soy milk into tofu is at least as worrisome process as cooking the tofu for a few minutes.

Since I took the heating the food to be the common factor that he was worried about having affect the nutrient value of the food - and heat is used in the process of turning the soy beans into tofu ... the damage that the OP is concerned about has already been done.

It may not be as chemically processed as soy protein isolates - but it is pretty processed. There is no resemblance whatever between a soybean and tofu. To some people if you're significantly changing a food from it's natural form you're over processing it.

Not unlike turning wheat into white flour. Again something that has been done for a long time - but definitely counts as a processed food.

I'm not saying that tofu is bad - in fact, I really like tofu. And certainly the process of making tofu is much less chemical and artificial than the process of making soy protein isolate. But soaking dried beans, grinding them, squeezing out the liquid, boiling the liquid, adding a coagulant ... these all significantly change the humble soy bean into tofu. For me while it is perhaps a less harmful process it is still a highly processed food.

75g of edamame has 9 grams of fiber.

75g of tofu has less than .5 gram of fiber

If you're removing that much of the natural material you're processing the food. No matter how old the method.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#5 Old 06-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the explanation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page