Packet of dried shiitake - ideas? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-06-2008, 11:41 AM

I have a packet in the cupboard and would like some recipe ideas. Possibly a mushroom sauce of some description.

What does the VB panel think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, if it was me I would make sushi or springrolls. But this recipe from Susan Voisin looks amazing...
#3 Old 06-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh we have lots of dried shiitake at my house! Yum!

-Let them soak overnight, put a plate ontop of them or something to make sure they're submerged.

-Cut off the ends of the stems as they're usually too hard to chew well, even after soaked.

-Cook them with rice to give your rice a mushroomy flavor, and serve with soy sauce.

-Cook them in a soup (like miso soup, or any other really) as they give a really nice mushroom flavor! Actually, cook them with anything you want to have a mushroom flavor. They need to be boiled a good bit to become tender!

My mom usually cooks them with meat (obviously not exactly an option anyone here would choose to pursue) but I bet boiling seitan with them would turn out great! Also, boiling them and then chopping them up and mixing them into your seitan for a nice mushroomy flavored seitan would likely be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Veggie Regular

As ED said, they're yummy with seitan. I grind them up into powder and mix them right into the vital wheat gluten. Adds a VERY NICE taste!.
#5 Old 06-07-2008, 10:43 AM

Yum, some tasty sounding ideas there. I have a recipe for a porcini casserole and may use the shiitakes instead. Pity Vital Wheat Gluten seems impossible to find where I live, or I would try adding them to seitan.
#6 Old 06-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Veggie View Post

Pity Vital Wheat Gluten seems impossible to find where I live, or I would try adding them to seitan.

Jon, I've recently ordered wheat gluten through the internet, and was so glad to finally get my hands on it! I've already made seitan twice, as well as burgers and the such. I'd recommend pursuing a mail order option.
#7 Old 06-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's a recipe I've tried before- it's somewhat mild, quite easy to make and reminds me of our old chicken soup, 'cept it has mushroom instead of chicken, obviously. http://www.recipesource.com/soups/soups/05/rec0504.html
#8 Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 AM

I made the 'porcini' mushroom casserole from the Candle Cafe cookbook, but subbed porcinis for shiitakes. It was absolutely delcious, my parents also loved it. It was very tasty and creamy too, I would certainly make it again.
#9 Old 06-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Timely questinon. I just saw a package for the first time last week and picked some up. I just threw some in with spaghetti to try them and they seemed pretty normal rehydrated to me. Thanks for all of the ideas

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page