Popular vege*n kids meals - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Beginner

I have 4 kids age 11, 8, 6 and 3!

I was hoping to get some suggestions of popular kids meals

Most of our meals are vegan but we do sometimes revert to cheese on pizza especially when eating out.

What makes for an all round pleaser in your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

My grandson really likes the Morningstar corn dogs. They are not vegan but we are trying to introduce veggie food to him and this product is a success.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#3 Old 05-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Beginner

Hi Chrissylily -where do you get those? We only have Safeway and KTA in Hawaii and 2 health food stores. I would be interested in picking them up.

I'm kind of new to some US food products as we only moved to Hawaii from the UK in March
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Do they like burritos? My family used to have a "build your own burrito" night where all of the fillings were on the table and you put your own together...it was pretty fun. Might be too much for the two youngest.

Vegan macaroni and cheese might work too?
#5 Old 05-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Beginner

Yeah they like burritoes - I used to make a favorite one where you made a bean chilli and baked in the oven with cheese on top they loved those

Can you help me come up with some vegan fillings? I don't get along with vegan hard cheese by the way; I have tried most of them)

I guess I could try vegan sour cream, but I've not seen it in the health food store?
#6 Old 05-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never had the vegan sour cream.

What I usually do is either beans (refried beans or actual beans), TVP, or ground round (the fake hamburger). And then veggies like lettuce, peppers, onions, olives, whatever floats your boat. I also usually make a fake nutritional yeast "cheese" sauce to put in it (I don't care for the vegan cheeses either), but not always. They taste good without it. Then I have taco sauce or salsa.
#7 Old 05-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Suprised no one has mentioned the book or the blog vegan lunch box.

Tons of great kids lunch ideas there!!!!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#8 Old 05-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Beginner

I've pre-ordered that book (vegan lunch box)
#9 Old 05-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I am lucky... My toddler is infatuated with just about any food. Her diet is already more varied than mine was at like.. 8 She has had things like yucca, plantain, guava, mango, avocado, lychee... Yeah, not picky!

That said I have some burrito ideas that she just loves on their own. Here they are, and some include meal suggestions.

- Cuban-style black beans (I usually just make a sofrito and simmer black beans with quite a bit of it. You can even buy sofrito from the store. Goya makes some that is pretty good, but it's pureed.) You could even just serve these mixed with white rice (I like jasmine) for a dish called Moros y Cristianos (Moors and Christians) I like it with lime.

- Veggie fajitas! I make like with portabello mushrooms, peppers, onions, and zucchini.

- Spanish rice and refried beans. Or you can make spanish rice with soy chicken for Arroz Con Pollo (I can get you my recipe if you want it). I sometimes add chickpeas or even peas and carrots to it.

Breaking out of the Latin food vein... Here are other things Isabel likes:

- English muffins with almond butter and banana

- graham crackers with pb and fruit. Sometimes I take a slice of each: kiwi, banana, and strawberry and make "traffic lights".

- tofu-egg salad sammiches

- Raviolis (rising moon has some good vegan varieties. I get florentine!)

- hummus and pita, or even just as a sandwich.

- vegetable fried rice

Hm, I can't think of anymore off the top of my head, but... My kid eats anything This is just stuff she seems to like, in particular.
#10 Old 05-26-2008, 02:25 AM
Veggie Regular

My daughters are 5 and 7. Here are some of their favourite vegan 'at home' meals:

• Sushi with only carrot in the middle (they don't really like the other veggies), a separate bowl of rice and miso soup for the elder.
  • Pasta with a sauce of tomato paste, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic powder, a little black pepper and salt and a touch of chili powder that they don't know I put in.
  • Mashed, roast or boiled potatoes, broccoli, and raw carrots with gravy all over everything (that's what they had tonight).
  • Stir fried broccoli, mushrooms and celery in a soy and other spices sauce over rice or noodles.
  • Baked beans (or, much less frequently canned spaghetti) and toast.
  • Oven bake spring rolls (egg rolls without egg or meat), and rice or oven fries (when nobody can be bothered cooking).
  • Pizza topped with just tomato sauce and mushrooms.
  • Pumpkin soup and toast.
  • Porridge. Yes, they'll eat porridge any time of the day or night. :-)

Many make good leftovers for lunches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page