Vegan sandwich fillings for kids - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Beginner

Can I have some suggestions for vegan sandwich fillings please?

My kids eat vegetarian whilst I am making the transition to vegan and I am finding that I am getting stuck in the rut of cheese or jam sandwiches, when I really want to be giving up cheese

They don't seem to like hummus much; they like soft cheese, but if I buy vegan, dh keeps getting philadelphia (he's vegetarian).

They don't like peanut butter. I have tried other nut butters but one of them said she hated it (pecan)

My daughter likes avocado; she also likes the chickpea hijiki mixture in veganomicon

I guess I am asking for some party pleasers as I am fed up of serving cheese/ one kid moaning

They don't like vegan hard cheese much and neither do I so don't really want to go there atm

I like veggie blt with tempeh bacon; salad and hummus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I made "egg salad" last weekend for a party with 12 little kids... and NOT ONE (of those who like real egg-salad) turned up their noses or thought it tasted odd...

Use exact amounts to your taste:

1 block water packed extra firm tofu, patted dry

mash with the following:

vegan mayonaise (I use Veganaisse)

squirt of generic, basic yellow mustard

spoonful of sweet pickle relish

celery salt

onion powder or a Tbsp or so of finely minced sweet onion

a good shake of turmeric to make it a nice "eggy" yellow

AND a 1/4 tsp. India Black Salt for a genuine eggy flavour!

My kids will eat this on crackers or bread any time.

-------------------

How about Tofutti "Cream Cheese"? It's like the Philadelphia stuff? Only it's vegan. Mix it with seasonings if you want. Chives, mexican spices, parsley, sundried tomatoes, whatever sounds good.

-----------------

Any mashed bean makes the base for a great sandwich spread. White beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, fava beans... do google searches for "vegan sandwich spread" and you'll find a lot!
#3 Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Beginner

What kind of sweet pickle relish Tofu N Sprouts? dh is going to KTA tonight but I'm not sure what to get as most of the pickles seem to be gherkin based or tomato (I am in Hawaii)

I have a recipe like that in Vegan Planet, which I don't have with me atm

I'll send him to get the stuff we don't have -thanks for the suggestion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

mmmmm, speaking of an egg salad substitute, my latest obsession has been chickpea salad.

1 can chickpeas

2 tbsp vegan mayo (I used vegenaise)

1 tbsp mustard

1/2 tbsp relish

1 cup chopped cucumbers

I eat it in pitas with spinach and peppers, or in a tortilla, or just on bread. It's sooo yummy!
#5 Old 05-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Click here for 50 more sandwich ideas!

And if you ever happen to see this stuff at your health food store (it’s from Holland, but I’ve read somewhere that it already appeared in some places in the US), buy it by all means: Chocoreale Hazelnut 35%

(they have several other varieties most of which are vegan and taste decent too, but imho only the “Hazelnut 35%” one is really worth the rather high expense).

It’s vegan Nutella, just a lot better tasting and of course healthier (well, as much as a hazelnut chocolate spread can be healthy at all – no hydrogenated fats etc., thus unlike Nutella it remains spreadable if stored in the fridge).

Not that I’d suggest it for everyday school lunchbags…
#6 Old 05-20-2008, 07:04 AM
Banned

i used to really like marmite sandwiches- you could probably make them 'something' and marmite to make it a bit more filling though. ketchup sandwiches also went down well in our house, despite being pretty unhealthy, as did sliced boiled potatoes, pickled beetroot slices (make the bread go pink) and chip butties.

how about growing your own sprouts/cress (kids like that, and its not super hard) and adding it to sandwiches made with grated carrots, shredded raw brussels sprouts, and a bean spread or home made cashew cream cheese or peanut butter or something? there are loads of different nut butters around.

doing the sandwich itself differently might help with the battle. you could make pizza slice sandwiches too (like french bread pizza) or flatten a spice of bread, put a topping on it, and roll it into a swiss roll, and cut into spiral disks- make toast sandwiches into soldiers and use them for dipping, cut them out with cookie cutters, etc.

how about falafels in pitta bread? toasted fruit and jam sandwiches (careful, fruit gets really hot) are nice too. frozen, thawed, marinaded and pan fried tofu slices are brilliant in a sandwich or wrap too.
#7 Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I eat sandwiches of pickles, lettuce, portobella mushrooms, and mustard regularly. Onion and shredded carrot if I have the patience. Sometimes I forget about the sandwich thing and just eat the pickles. http://www.bubbies.com/ these pickes are the best, the bread and butter ones are like candy. Better than candy. I bought the big jar on Friday and need a new one already: http://www.bubbies.com/prod_bread_butter.shtml
#8 Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulasue View Post

What kind of sweet pickle relish Tofu N Sprouts? dh is going to KTA tonight but I'm not sure what to get as most of the pickles seem to be gherkin based or tomato (I am in Hawaii)

I have a recipe like that in Vegan Planet, which I don't have with me atm

I'll send him to get the stuff we don't have -thanks for the suggestion

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner!! I'm in Washington State. I just use a generic pickle relish like what goes on a burger or something? It is just cucumber (pickle) based, just chopped into bits with vinegar, sugar, spices...no tomatos. Gherkins are just small pickles, correct? I am not sure what sort of sweet pickle relish wouldn't have those in them. Hope that helps.
#9 Old 05-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

vegan club: tofurky, yves canadian bacon, lettuce and tomato.

*chicken* sandwich: bake or fry slices of tofu in a little oil, with vegetarian chicken broth powder, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Serve on bread with Vegenaise, lettuce and tomato.

Or...http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=158.0
#10 Old 05-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Use exact amounts to your taste:

1 block water packed extra firm tofu, patted dry

mash with the following:

vegan mayonaise (I use Veganaisse)

squirt of generic, basic yellow mustard

spoonful of sweet pickle relish

celery salt

onion powder or a Tbsp or so of finely minced sweet onion

a good shake of turmeric to make it a nice "eggy" yellow

My kids will eat this on crackers or bread any time.

!

Thanks for this one! Great recipe.
#11 Old 05-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

vegenaise is awesome. cucumber sandwich with veganaise and salt and pepper.

i really just like veggie sandwiches without any "wierd" stuff in them. cucumber, lettuce, tomato, bell peppers, onion, sliced mushrooms even, with salt and pepper, veganaise if i have it. better on toasted bread so it doesn't go soggy.

pitas work great that way too just stuff em with whatever veggies you happen to have and salt and pepper, maybe a light salad dressing of some sort like a vinegrette etc. you could even toss in some strips of grilled tofu

does it have to always be sandwiches though? do they have access to a microwave at school? or one thing i like to bring for lunch is a nice big salad with cut up pieces of veggie 'chicken' strips

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#12 Old 05-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Beginner

TNS -I'm making your recipe for tomorrow's sandwiches

Today we made our own guacamole so much better than the shop brought
#13 Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

ketchup sandwiches also went down well in our house, despite being pretty unhealthy

What's in a ketchup sandwich (besides ketchup)? Ketchup on anything but a veggie burger never crossed my mind, but it sounds really good. I'm intrigued.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#14 Old 05-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

A couple of my kids' other favorites I thought about today while making lunches:

Tofutti "Cream Cheese" mixed with a can of chopped olives

Tofutti "Cream Cheese" mixed with chopped pecans and chopped dried apricots and cranberries

Tofu-Pecan-Olive spread (awesome for parties!!)

Baba Ganoush:

1 large eggplant

1 can chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans - I usually use less, so I can taste the eggplant)

3 cloves garlic

1/4 cup lemon juice

3 tbsp tahini (or peanut butter or leave it out, but it's better with...)

dash sea salt

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley (optional)

Slice eggplant in half, and roast in 400 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes, or until soft.

Allow to cool slightly, then scoop out inside of eggplant, leaving skin behind.

In a blender or food processor, combine eggplant and remaining ingredients, except oil and parsley, until smooth.

Slowly incorporate olive oil until well mixed. Mix in chopped parsley by hand.

And my other tofu favorite:

Tofu "Tuna"

1 lb. firm tofu, frozen and thawed (sometimes I don't bother to freeze and thaw - the texture is dfferent though, but still OK)

1 celery stalk, diced (optional)

1 Tbsp. minced mild onion

2 Tbsp. grated carrot (again, optional, but makes the texture work better to my way of thinking)

1/2 cup Vegannaise

2 Tbsp. tamari (I sometimes leave this out and add a pinch of salt)

1 Tbsp. lemon juice aprox.

1/2 tsp. kelp powder or any dry crushed, crumbled seaweed - like nori (VERY important for the "fishy" flavor!)

Squeeze the excess moisture out of the thawed tofu and crumble/mash it into small pieces.

Combine with the celery, onion and carrot.

Stir together the mayonnaise, tamari, lemon juice and kelp powder in a small bowl.

Add the mayonnaise mixture to the tofu and vegetables and mix well.
#15 Old 05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

What's in a ketchup sandwich (besides ketchup)? Ketchup on anything but a veggie burger never crossed my mind, but it sounds really good. I'm intrigued.

cheap white bread, a thick layer of margarine... the cornerstones of good nutrition.

its even better with a layer of chips (fries) on it. ketchup and saladcream sandwiches are an interesting non-vegan version for veggie people. everythink goes pink and its very tangy.
#16 Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

cheap white bread, a thick layer of margarine... the cornerstones of good nutrition.

but

Sounds like comfort food, and also like tomorrow's breakfast.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#17 Old 05-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, they're kinda picky. Mine eats EVERYTHING She has never refused anything. I give her hummus and various nut butters ALL the time.

That said, I will second TNS no-egg salad suggestion... Maybe even a no-chicken salad with seitan? Oh! And the chickpea "tuna" salad Michael posted. I LOVE chickpeas in this form: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=26370

In fact, I'll have some tonight...

I know you mentioned you tried pecan butter, but.. have you tried almond butter (I suggest getting roasted)? Isabel loves it with banana on bread. Hell, *I* love it with banana on bread. Or with strawberry preserves. it's definitely my favorite nut butter.

Also, look into Peanut Butter and Company's peanut butters. The White Chocolate Wonderful is vegan and HEAVENLY! They also have cinnamon raisin and dark chocolate! I don't use much regular pb anymore because of this stuff In fact, Isabel doesn't smack her lips when she is eating normal pb, but she does with the White Chocolate Wonderful There is quite a noticeable difference.
#18 Old 05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Do you get this at a regular grocery store? I've never heard of it.
#19 Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Do you get this at a regular grocery store? I've never heard of it.

Unfortunately you have to get it online or from an Asian or Indian or Middle Eastern Market...

Wikipedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia View Post

"Black salt is appreciated by vegans in dishes that mimic the taste of eggs. It is used, for example, to spice tofu to mimic an egg salad."

It's also known as kala namak or sanchal. It's used in Indian cooking and quite the secret ingredient for "authentic" tasting tofu scrambles and such.

It's actually pinkish in color and very "sulfur" like (thus the "eggy" flavor).

I love the stuff and am always suggesting it in recipes, I wish it was easier for people to find!!
#20 Old 05-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was a kid, every once in a while we had a make-your-own sandwich meal, where there were various toppings spread out on the table and we could make our own sandwiches up from whatever was there. It was pretty fun. A bit time-consuming, but it takes care of differing tastes.

#21 Old 05-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggily View Post

When I was a kid, every once in a while we had a make-your-own sandwich meal, where there were various toppings spread out on the table and we could make our own sandwiches up from whatever was there. It was pretty fun. A bit time-consuming, but it takes care of differing tastes.

My family did the same thing except with wraps and burritos. In fact when I go home for Christmas holidays I still ask if we can do that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page