VeggieBoards banner

Camping Food

3K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  LadyFaile 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm going camping with some friends this weekend and of course I have to pack food so I was wondering if anyone had any creative suggestions other than veggie hot dogs, etc. even though that's probably what I'll end up bringing.

We're camping Friday and Saturday so I'll need breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
I've taken box mixes of red beans and rice or other things where you just need to add water. You need to take a pot with you and something to secure it a little over the flame (or everything with burn) but it's worked for me. I also usually take peanut butter and apples, or hummus and pita bread. It can be hard to get a full meal out there so I just make sure I have a ton of snacks to munch on.

Breakfast I'll heat water on the fire and do instant oatmeal.

Have fun! I love camping

#7 ·
Are you cooking over a campfire, or bringing a propane stove?

Things I've made or shared included: tofu scramble; banana pancakes; chili (good with cut-up veggie dogs); mushroom stroganoff; and veggie curry. And don't forget the vegan s'mores! Of course this means you need to bring your fresh ingredients packed in an ice chest. But it's SOOOO worth it.

#9 ·
i make stuff at home and then just reheat if necessary over the campstove or fire. you can do pretty much anything. even spagetti reheats pretty well in a pot over a stove and transports well in an empty peanut butter jar if you happen to keep them around

i also usually like to do a pasta salad with lots of veggies in it and balsamic vinegrette. i'll usually bring a huge container and have a little on the side with veggie dogs/burgers and other stuff. easy way to sneak in some veggies

#10 ·
an easy recipe that i make is angelhair pasta (or another small pasta, so it cooks really quickly,even if the water isnt totally boiling), w/ sundried tomatoes, olive oil (you can just take a small container), dried herbs, garlic/onion powder, pinenuts, etc and some veggie cheez sprinkle (like NY/ almonds ground). make the pasta, and when done, dump the water and pour in your oil and all the fixings and mix up.

you can marinate tofu slices before you go, then freeze it w/ the marinade...by the time its thawed, you can use it for sandwiches, crumbles, etc.

baked potatoes, cut up and wrap in foil w/ herbs and throw right into your coals. you can do veggies like this too, but they dont take as long.

bake apples like this too, w/ some cinnamon and spices. have a small apple juice bottle/container and pour into a cored apple.

you can put chocolate on em too!! nom nom.

have fun!!!

#11 ·
That sounds like a lot of fun, I want to go camping!!!! LA's recommendations are so gourmet I don't know how I can compete!

Anyway, I'd get creative with wrapping things in tinfoil and tossing them right into the fire. Like, chunks of anythang, all mixed together. Pre-slice some greased potatoes, zucchinis, carrots, onion, garlic - whateva! Everything is better if it has been wrapped in tinfoil and thrown into fire.

#15 ·
After thinking about it, I would:

Appetizer: do the garlic bread (maybe don't toast it, let the fire do that when u throw it in), and

Side: maybe some wedges (slice, season and oil some potatoes, again with garlic. Bring some ketchup, yo.)

Main: I'd prob throw a bunch of tofu, olive oil, onion, bell peppers, shrooms in the fire, and then put all of that goodness into a wrap. If u are ambitious u can bring some avocado and tomato for the wrap.

Dessert: I'd slice some apples, with cinnamon, and throw them in the fire! Bam!

And who are you? she sternly spoke

To the one beneath the smoke.

Why, I'm fire, he replied,

And I love your solitude, I love your pride.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

Oh, the backpacking cookbook I have is called "Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin'"

It's got lots of great camping recipes.
That book ROCKS!!! I've used recipes from it even when I wasn't backpacking or camping.

#19 ·
you can also do kabobs with chunks of veggies and tofu which you can pre-cut before you go and toss in a tupperware container with marinade.

i've also done fried potatoes on the campstove using canned diced potatoes.

i love baked potatoes on the fire though, or better yet, slice them with some onion, wrap in tin foil with a bit of margarine or olive oil. tin foil potatoes are great for camping cause you can have them all wrapped and ready to go before you leave.

i'm a huge fan of having everything prepped from home as you can tell so it's just a matter of slapping it on the grill and away you go. less work, less dishes. i hate hate hate doing food prep and dishes while camping, it just seems wrong lol.

i always bring some baked goodies with me too, cookies or muffins or something, and i usually try to add a little something to the recipes to add some nutrition. oatmeal, fruit, flax etc, and i tend to use a mixture of unbleached and whole wheat or spelt flour when i bake to make it a little healthier.

avoid anything that will melt in the sun or needs to be kept totally frozen but basically anything is fair game. i've even brought premade pancake mix. i mix all the dry ingredients at home, put in a tupperware container and bring a waterbottle with the exact amount of soymilk needed. make sure the tupperware container is bigger than needed for the dry stuff cause you can just dump in the soymilk, slap the lid on, shake it up and away you go.

whatever you do make sure you bring cooking oil. forgetting oil sucks

hubby does (or used to, not sure if he will do any for a while now) 24 hour mountain bike relay races and we always get there the day before to set up. the trick with these races is to make sure each rider eats before and after every lap so they don't crash. i've done support for his teams but also for other more competitive teams. omnis but still a lot of the stuff we cooked is easily veganized, or already vegan, since the serious guys won't eat dairy or egg or anything heavy or greasy while racing. so yeah over the last few years i've learned how to whip up meals quickly with whatever fits in a cooler and a bbq or campstove. the couple that got us into it were so hardcore, the guy was doing 24 hour solo races as well as relays and his wife would totally organize everything. any team she did support for was the best fed team in the race. the race organizers would always come snooping at our campsite to see what crazy thing she was cooking up and beg for free food lol. she would be feeding her guys maple glazed salmon, stuffed mushrooms, baked potatoes, homebaked goodies etc, while our neighbours would all be living off jerky and protein bars lol.

anyway if i think of more ideas i'll post em

#20 ·
wow these are all awesome suggestions, thanks!!!

I think I'm going to go with veggie kabobs, marinated tofu and some potatoes wrapped in foil and thrown in the fire

I also have to look into that book! I love camping but I'm going with a bunch of omnivores so I'm determined to show them that vegan food is waaaay better than anything they will bring. LoL

I need to get my hands on some vegan marshmallows for smores... loooove smores.. mmmm...

Great thread though, keep posting!

#22 ·
I'm so glad you started this thread and got such awesome advice! We're going camping and white water rafting for my birthday in a few weeks and I've already started to stress about what I'll be bringing. We'll be in the woods, without our cars, and have to carry everything a couple miles in. So I've been looking for things that don't have to be refrigerated, are light, and will last a few days. There's some awesome ideas here. I might have to go get that book too

#23 ·
if you have or can get your hands on a dehydrator you could make some soy jerky, fruit and veggie chips, etc

oh and i always bring a big bag of baby carrots to munch raw

#24 ·
Make camp bread. Make the mixture at home and take the bags with you.

Mix together in a bowl until crumbly:

2 cup flours

3 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup margarine

Divide mixture into 4 zipper sandwich bags.

When ready to use add just enough water to bag to make a stiff dough. Take dough out of bag and bake in frying pan or wrap around a thick wooden stick and roast over the fire. When baked take off stick and fill hole with margarine, jam, peanut butter, etc. If using the frying pan just spread with the fillings.

Fried potatoes and onions always taste wonderful fried outdoors. Make sure you take salt. Serve with good old canned baked beans.

ETA: I don't drink coffee but I just saw on tv how to make perked coffee while camping. You need a water bottle with one of those pull up tops, ground coffee, boiling water and a coffee filter. Place the amount of coffee you need in the water bottle and add the appropriate amount of boiling water. Lay a filter over the top of the bottle and screw on the top. Now turn the bottle upside down over your coffee mug or cup and let the grounds settle onto the filter. Squeeze the bottle in short spurts for strong coffee or a long squirt for weaker coffee. The pressure and hot water going through the coffee grounds is supposed to give you a good cup of coffee without a coffee maker. You could also probably use a water bottle with a built in filter. I don't know if this works but the reporter looked impressed when he tasted the coffee.

#26 ·
with baked potatoes i usually jab it with a fork. if the fork goes into the centre of the potato without much resistance, it's done. but careful, once they get to the point of overdone they tend to harden again lol. they usually take about an hour i think, it's been a while since i made em

you can check sliced potatoes in foil the same way but if you're putting onion in with them you might want to take a peek to make sure the onion doesn't burn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.