What should I take?? [to a BBQ] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I have an end of the semester/schoolyear BBQ to go to with a TON of my friends on Thursday evening...

They all know I'm not eating meat, and most are supportive, and they told me to bring something vegetarian.

My question is: should I take a main course? or a side dish? I would feel kind of weird taking a main course, but then again, what else am I going to eat? It's not just me -- there will be 3 other vegetarians in the group as well, out of about 35 people that will be there.

If I should take a main course, what should I take? They're obviously grilling burgers and hot dogs, so I won't be eating either of those... or if a side, what should I take? I've been looking through recipes for an hour and can't find anything simple enough to take to a dang BBQ!

HELP! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

How about a really good vegan chilli? I think it'd go with the BBQ theme and show that they can be great without meat.
#3 Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Are there easy ways to make it? I'm VERY new to this (only on my 3rd week) and I have NO previous experience cooking. It's been an interesting few weeks with lots of creativity to say the least...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's the recipe I make. It makes quite a bit...easily 8 cups or so and it's awesome, everyone loves it!

Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), 1.5 cup (or 1 can)

Beans, black, 1.5 cups (or 1 can) or Kidney beans (1 can or 1.5 cups)

Baked beans, plain or vegetarian, 1.25 cup (or 1 can)

Onions, raw, 1 cup, chopped

Celery, raw, .25 cup, diced

Leeks ..5 cups diced

*Yves Veggie Ground Round - Original, 1.5 cup (or another "ground beef" alternative)

Canned whole Tomatoes, 1 large can

1 Package Chili seasoning (not spice) (Old del paso, etc)

Olive Oil (1 TBSP) for frying onions

Fry onions, leeks and celery until cooked. Add can of tomatoes and chili seasoning. Stir until combined. Add beans. Simmer on low for 2-25 minutes. Add ground round. Continue cooking for 5-7 minutes and serve!

Number of Servings: 8

I've substituted some of the beans for lentils, but I find that the chick peas and black beans are great together. You can also add other veggies. I've added carrots, corn. The more beans and veggies you add, you may need another package of seasoning, really depends. Just taste it along the way and decide.
#5 Old 05-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Potatoe salad! I have a really great recipe from the Seventh Day Adventists Cooking class. I will go find it and post it for you shortly.
#6 Old 05-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

That sounds really good! I highly doubt these people would eat it, but I will definitely be making it for myself sometime soon!

Oh, potato salad sounds good too.
#7 Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Classic Potato Salad:

4 or 5 Cups Potatoes, (Peeled, Cooked, Cubed)

1 Cup Celery, finely chopped

1 Cup Onions, finely chopped

1/2 Cup pickles, chopped

1/2 Cup Black Olives, sliced

1 Cup Veganase (vegan mayo)

2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, minced

2 1/2 Teaspoons Onion Powder

1 1/2 Teaspoons Dill weed

1 Teaspoon Salt

1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder

1/8 Teapoon Turmeric

In a large bowl, combine vegetables, pickles, olives and mayonaise and stir gently until well mixed. Combine seasonings and stir evenly into the potato mixture. Serve hot or cold.

* I make it a few hours ahead so its plenty chilled by the time it is eaten. The Turmeric adds coloring, in case your wondering why so little. After I mix it in with the other seasonings, I sprinkle alittle on top for a garnish.

You can't really go wrong with potato salad because the only usual ingredient that needs to be substituted is the mayo. I like this recipe because it is definately far from bland and everyone has loved it.
#8 Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

You can't really go wrong with potato salad because the only usual ingredient that needs to be substituted is the mayo. I like this recipe because it is definately far from bland and everyone has loved it.

I think I have this same recipe! I add a little mustard. If you're lacto-ovo, you can even just use regular mayo, though Vegenaise is REALLY good. I have never heard an omni complain about this salad though.

I was going to suggest Pasta Salad. Easiest thing ever.

Cooked pasta of your choice in some "fun" shape...

Veggies of your choice, as few or as many as you want: (onions, tomatos, brocolli, zucchini, mushrooms, bell peppers, carrot shreds, roasted red pepper, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts or ???)

black or green olives

crushed garlic or garlic powder

chopped fresh parsley or a little dried if thats all you have

bottled Italian dressing (or oil and vinegar)

salt and pepper to taste

So refreshing and tasty and no meat needed.

Also, Fantastic Foods makes a "Tabbouleh" salad mix that is easy to make and looks so cool stuffed in hollowed out tomatoes.
#9 Old 05-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Beginner

Bring something u can put on the grill too.... veggie shish k bob (yeah i know... probably spelled wrong... its late)

My neighbors have bbq once a month... i always bring these... and foil to put on the grill if there isn't a smaller veggie one there...

You can also grill veggie dogs and burgers...

the veg*ns need main courses also lol... and besides you might find an omni brave enough to try the veggie food and find out its pretty good.
#10 Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

At a BBQ I usually will make myself a little foil wrapped packet with sliced portabella mushrooms, green bell peppers, and onions seasoned with fajita seasoning (I get the best kind ever from TX) and some olive oil. Have them throw it on the grill for 10-15 mins, and you have awesome veggie fajitas! Put on a sammich, or even bring tortillas (heat them on the grill wrapped in foil, too!)

Bring a few packets of that, along with some pasta salad or spanish rice, and you'll have plenty to share and will be flippin' golden! Use my Arroz con Pollo recipe sans veggie chicken for some of the best Spanish Rice you've ever had: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...rroz+con+pollo
#11 Old 05-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

The chili recipe already posted is quite similar to mine and my omni bf loves it.

The foil packets are a great idea, as our the kabobs. I like to make kabobs with red bell pepper, red onion, and mushrooms and marinate the veggies in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and whatever assorted spices I throw in.
#12 Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't read the responses, but I usually take a Boca burger, a potato and often I'll make pasta salad. Foil, too, in case they don't have any. You can take a cob of corn, also. Maybe a box of crackers or chips, some hummus. Simple stuff that you can get a meal out of, and little things other people can munch on.

For pasta salad I just make rotini, add vegan friendly italian dressing, spicy brown mustard, pepper, garlic and misc veggies (usually just tomato, lettuce & carrots). People always seem to like it.
#13 Old 05-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you everyone! I will pick one to use tomorrow, and save the rest of them for the future! I'm sure I'll have many to go to! Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page