ANZAC Day Biscuits - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Riot Nrrrd

At work we get an email each morning with info on world holidays, notable birthdays, that kind of thing. Today (April 25) is ANZAC day in Australia and New Zealand. The holiday seems very much like Memorial Day in the US (apologies to non-yanks. Remembering war vets is a not uncommon sort of holiday, but I don't know what that holiday is called most places ...) The person that works across from me is a expatriate Aussie, and the short bit in my email pricked my interest. "Hey Kelly", I said, "tell me about ANZAC day."

She confirmed my idea that it is a lot like memorial day. Folks go to church. Just like Memorial Day. Vets get together and remember. Just like Memorial Day. Folks eat cookies. Just like ... wait ... what now?

Kelly called them cookies, and they look a lot like oatmeal cookies to me. The info I found on the web uses the word 'biscuit'. The blog Baleboosteh has better info on what is a very fascinating story.

The thing that really caught my eye is that these cookies/biscuits/whatever use neither eggs nor a substitute! With 1 or 2 minor tweaks the recipe is entirely vegan. So if you need an excuse to eat some cookies ...

... well, I don't know that anyone really needs an excuse to eat cookies, but here's a recipe with minor tweaks from me:

Chewy ANZAC Biscuits

Ingredients

1 cup plain flour

1 cup rolled oats (regular oatmeal) uncooked

1 cup desiccated coconut

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup soy margarine

2 1/2 Tbsp honey or agave nectar or light molasses or maple syrup

1 tsp baking soda

2 tbsp boiling water

Sift the flour. Mix oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.

Melt the margarine with the sweetner in a saucepan over a low heat.

Mix the baking soda with the water and add to the sweetner/margarine.

Mix the wet and dry ingredients together.

Spoon golf-ball sized lumps of the mixture onto a greased baking pan, leaving room between dollops to allow for spreading.

Bake in a moderate oven, 180C / 350F, for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and seal in airtight containers.

Original recipe from The Baleboosteh, rewritten for vegans and yanks by me.

Kelly (the Aussie) says the molasses would more authentic. I think I prefer the maple syrup. Probably want to use a little less water with maple syrup though. It's already pretty runny.

I'll be trying out a batch next week (been a L...O...N...G time since I baked cookies!) and will update with any lessons learned.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page