ENER-G Egg Replacer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-19-2003, 08:00 PM

I tried Ener-G Egg Replacer for the first time today. Is it supposed to be so hard to mix with water? I assumed it would mix easily, like cornstarch, but it took me forever to get the lumps to go away. Any tricks to getting it to blend well^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-19-2003, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

use a wisk
#3 Old 10-19-2003, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scareyvegan View Post

use a wisk

Hahahahaha! That answer made me laugh so hard for some reason.

I just use a fork and mix it a lot, alternating speeds. I didn' think it was hard to mix but then again I haven't used it in a while. How are you mixing it Daisy? Did the food turn out well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-19-2003, 08:21 PM

I used a spoon, which must have been the problem. I always use a spoon for blending cornstarch or flour with water (in order to thicken a sauce), and this struck me as similar so that's what I did. I don't know why a fork or whisk didn't occur to me! Next time I will try that.

I made pumpkin pie & it turned out great!
#5 Old 10-19-2003, 10:32 PM

Daisy, thanks for asking about this as I had trouble myself too. Good pumpkin pie recipe?
#6 Old 10-19-2003, 11:43 PM

It was just a typical pumpkin pie with soy milk substituted for the evaporated milk I used to use, and egg replacer for the eggs. I made it minus the crust to save fat grams. Sort of "pumpkin custard". Worked fine. I love, love, love pumpkin pie -- and it's the season now!
#7 Old 10-20-2003, 12:27 AM

Hi, I got a good recipe for an egg substitute from veganmania.com: 1 egg = 2 tbsp water + 2 tsp baking powder. It works well and is easier and cheaper than Ener G.
#8 Old 10-20-2003, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfahowl View Post

Hi, I got a good recipe for an egg substitute from veganmania.com: 1 egg = 2 tbsp water + 2 tsp baking powder. It works well and is easier and cheaper than Ener G.

Or use this clone from Deb, all ingredients are as close and as cheap as the local Asian Grocer and check out the tofu, mock meats and exotic fruits while you are there

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/61437.html
#9 Old 10-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

i had the same difficulties with mixing it--even with a whisk. when i can i just add it dry to the dry ingredients and add the water necessary to the wet ones. this has worked fine for me, tho i suppose there are recipes it would not work in.
#10 Old 10-20-2003, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley View Post

i had the same difficulties with mixing it--even with a whisk. when i can i just add it dry to the dry ingredients and add the water necessary to the wet ones. this has worked fine for me, tho i suppose there are recipes it would not work in.

Ah! Now THERE'S an idea. That would not have worked for my pumpkin pie, but that would work fine for cakes or cookies I suppose. Thanks!
#11 Old 10-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, don't use a spoon. I use a fork, too. I love it. I've used it in cornbread, cake mixes, and even meatloaf (for my husband, with soy milk). I don't keep eggs or milk on hand because I don't use them. You should have seen my husband's face as I mixed it up while he mixed the meat and seasonings (since I refused to touch it). He said it was good, though.

I also add the water then the mix because it seemed to be harder to mix the other way around. Maybe that's just me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page