Help me find more enjoyable veggie options for my BF's lunch - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 04-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
He's really very good. He eats huge amounts of veggies at dinner time, but he needs to lose weight and his doctor said he should eat more veggies, so I've been putting them in his lunches for the past 2 wks. For the first week he had carrots, jicama, scallions, radishes, red peppers, and cucumbers with horseradish hummus. Last week he had asian broccoli slaw. The first week he complained he was getting bored of the veggies really fast (this coming from the man who brings the exact same meal to lunch every single day). Last week he complained that other people were complaining about the smell (possibly the vinegar...). So now I need ideas for veggies for his lunch that do not include vinegar and are more interesting than mixed veggies and dip.




http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 04-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
Uh... he can't feed himself?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#3 Old 04-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Veggie wraps? There could be quite a bit of variety in those.
gillibean is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 04-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Uh... he can't feed himself?



He can. He does make the rest of his lunch himself, but he's not so big on food prep, and I've agreed to prepare meals and he has his agreed upon chores. I don't want to have an argument about the distribution of labor in my household, just looking for food ideas.



Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

Veggie wraps? There could be quite a bit of variety in those.



If I were the one eating it, absolutely He doesn't like vegetables on bread though, except onion. I'm looking for more side dish ideas that don't require heating.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#5 Old 04-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post




If I were the one eating it, absolutely He doesn't like vegetables on bread though, except onion. I'm looking for more side dish ideas that don't require heating.



hmmm Maybe couscous or something similar with chopped veggies. That would be good cold. Did you check out Vegan Lunch Box for ideas? Her lunches are always amazing. Nothing else is coming to mind at the moment but if i think of anything I'll post it
gillibean is offline  
#6 Old 04-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
Regardless of "division of labour" you can't refuse to do something then whine when they don't do it exactly how they demand. It's more of a "if you want something done right/your way do it yourself" philosophy. I think it was the title that got me - "force" conjures bad feelings in my head.



For me what I do for lunches is prepare extra dinner food. Veggie stacks, for example, are quite wonderful cold the next day. Or does that constitute "boring"? (Waiting for your answer - I won't trot out my dinner to lunch food ideas yet. Some people hate leftovers). Veggie loaf, too, is lovely hot with gravy and roast veggies, great the next day cold with, say, cranberry sauce and salad veggies. I'd like cooking large amounts of things like veggie/nut loaves, Cornish veg pasties, eating them hot one day, cold for lunch the next, and freezing a batch for either hot microwave dinners when I am tired or defrosted cold lunches at work.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#7 Old 04-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
smedley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,326
hi!

there is a lovely french dressing recipe in HIAV, i can pm it to you if you dont have the book. that recipe is easy and good on those packaged mixed veggies you can find in any grocery store. i make 4x the recipe of dressing and mix it with the super easy recipe for vegan parm sprinkles from the ultimate uncheese cookbook (not the whole recipes mixed together--just enough of both for the veggies) to put on the frozen mixed veggies which my whole family loves cold for lunch. its really good--the oil from the french is soaked up by the nut. yeast part of the parm sprinkles!! even add some chopped mixed greens!! he will love it! your posts are so great!! good luck with finding him good stuff!!
smedley is offline  
#8 Old 04-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Regardless of "division of labour" you can't refuse to do something then whine when they don't do it exactly how they demand. It's more of a "if you want something done right/your way do it yourself" philosophy. I think it was the title that got me - "force" conjures bad feelings in my head.



For me what I do for lunches is prepare extra dinner food. Veggie stacks, for example, are quite wonderful cold the next day. Or does that constitute "boring"? (Waiting for your answer - I won't trot out my dinner to lunch food ideas yet. Some people hate leftovers). Veggie loaf, too, is lovely hot with gravy and roast veggies, great the next day cold with, say, cranberry sauce and salad veggies. I'd like cooking large amounts of things like veggie/nut loaves, Cornish veg pasties, eating them hot one day, cold for lunch the next, and freezing a batch for either hot microwave dinners when I am tired or defrosted cold lunches at work.



Is that title better? I was really just joking about the "forcing" part. He isn't refusing to do it himself, or demanding better options. And I did call him on the whining about it being boring when he eats the same crap every day and he laughed. I also told him that I'm not going to waste my time making him food if he isn't also committed to eating healthier. He very much appreciates my efforts to help him eat better and has made drastic changes in his diet since we started dating 3 yrs ago. Additionally, I *like* doing things for him, I'm just not feeling all that creative about a small veg lunch side dish, though I know many of you find VBers are quite creative with such things.



There are always leftovers from dinner, and sometimes he does pack them with his lunch, but I don't want to bulk up the lunch with tons more calories since that would be counterproductive. I'm looking for about a 1 cup serving size without additional grains/starches.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#9 Old 04-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley View Post

hi!

there is a lovely french dressing recipe in HIAV, i can pm it to you if you dont have the book. that recipe is easy and good on those packaged mixed veggies you can find in any grocery store. i make 4x the recipe of dressing and mix it with the super easy recipe for vegan parm sprinkles from the ultimate uncheese cookbook (not the whole recipes mixed together--just enough of both for the veggies) to put on the frozen mixed veggies which my whole family loves cold for lunch. its really good--the oil from the french is soaked up by the nut. yeast part of the parm sprinkles!! even add some chopped mixed greens!! he will love it! your posts are so great!! good luck with finding him good stuff!!



I've got that book, thanks I'll check out the recipe.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#10 Old 04-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
mazikeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,977
I like having big salads for lunch, with lots of things in it, like seeds, nuts, fried tofu, quinoa, etc. That way, a "salad" becomes a full meal. Would your boyfriend go for something like that?



Other ideas could be veggie pasties, or vegetable quiche, which make a very easy and portable lunch. There's also the time-honoured tradition of adding very finely chopped vegetables into sauces and soups.
mazikeen is offline  
#11 Old 04-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
LetoTheTyrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,376
He sounds really picky like me



If he has a favorite green, I would suggest some different types of salads using that green. I think kale is the best to be packed and hold for a while, since even after 6 hours in acid it can still have a bite to it. If he like kale, I suggest you read the kale thread someone made today??!? yesterday. There were some good recipes, and I posted my favorite raw kale recipe there as well. With robust green you can get a strong sauce thus livening the greens up a bit.



Tomatoes with olive oil and herbs are quite easy and good, and hold fairly well.



If he likes sweets with savory, possibly try caramelized carrots - sauté carrots in your favorite oil with some sugar/brown sugar plus a little salt, and maybe a light pepper ( i personally don't like the sweet savory thing, but i know a lot of people LOVE these)



For a fresh type salad I like shaved/julienned carrots, marinated in lemon juice a little oil and some garlic and dill, salt and pepper of course. You could also make this a mixed vegetables salad if you wanna mix your perferred veggies.



I'm watching a movie and my train of thought wandered, so I forgot what else I was gonna say. I can always pull out my folders if you would like some more ideas.
LetoTheTyrant is offline  
#12 Old 04-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyb View Post

He sounds really picky like me



He's actually not picky at all. He won't eat fresh tomatoes (sauce/ketchup/canned-in-small-pieces are fine), and won't eat mushrooms. He doesn't like sweet/savory blends, couscous, or green salad unless it's drenched in like, ranch dressing (which defeats the healthy part of this). He liked the Asian Coleslaw but requested no more vinegar based things because his coworkers complained about the smell. Now I'm like "Hmm... salads dressed without vinegar..." I'm thinking lemon juice would work, but not being a big raw-veggie person myself so I'm not too creative with the different salady things.



We do eat a ton of kale, which he loves (he didn't even know what it was before we started dating!). While the tomatoes are out, maybe i'll try some other veggies with just oil and interesting herbs and see how that goes over. Thanks for the suggestions!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#13 Old 04-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Hazelnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,995
Hmmm...I was going to suggest cucumbers and tomatoes with veganaise, salt, and pepper... It's best if you let it sit a while, because it makes a 'sauce' that's lovely.



I just got done eating a bunch of 'chips' made from dehydrated vegetables...



You could do an asian-style stir fry with snap peas, borccoli, carrots, etc...



Veganized cole slaw, or even lettuce slaw would work...



Perhaps you could make a big batch of vegetable soup that's heavy with lots of different veggies...



Try your hand at Japanese cooking. The recipe books I have are heavy vegetable dishes, and the meat is used sparingly... You could just leave it off, and still have a great meal. Seriously, there are a lot of great ideas there.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Hazelnut is offline  
#14 Old 04-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
I have a lovely recipe for a "lightened" peanut dip - blended with reduced-fat soft tofu, but you'd never know it. It also has ginger, soy sauce, lime juice - it's nice. It's wonderful with veggies. PM me if you'd like the recipe.



Also, Brianna's Poppyseed salad dressing is vegan and terrific!!!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#15 Old 04-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Hazelnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I have a lovely recipe for a "lightened" peanut dip - blended with reduced-fat soft tofu, but you'd never know it. It also has ginger, soy sauce, lime juice - it's nice. It's wonderful with veggies. PM me if you'd like the recipe.



Also, Brianna's Poppyseed salad dressing is vegan and terrific!!!



Post it, I'm curious, too!



Seriously, I've been experimenting with peanut sauces...

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Hazelnut is offline  
#16 Old 04-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
^ Agreed! Post it!



I have no suggestions but I'm currently in the same situation. Packing lunch for my Husband is difficult. Cooking dinner is a breeze and he will eat leftovers but it would be really great if he could get more vegetables when he's not at home.
Beachbnny is offline  
#17 Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Okay - here it is:



Asian Peanut Dip



Process the following in the food processor :



1/2 cup natural peanut butter

1/3 cup reduced-fat silken tofu

3 T. light brown sugar

2 T. fresh lime juice

2 T. low-sodium soy sauce

1/4 - 1/2 t. crushed red pepper

1 clove garlic - crushed

1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger



I always double the recipe.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#18 Old 04-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Fritemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,154
You could make sushi that is packed full of veggie strips and nut or seed patte instead of rice. Lettuce wraps make nice sandwiches if he doesn't like bread with his veggies. You just stuff them full and dip them in peanut sauce. (I noticed someone posted a recipe for peanut sauce) You could also stuff veggies full of mock salads. Stuffed avocados or bell peppers are delicious.



If he likes ranch dressing a lot, I have a raw recipe that wouldn't be close to its dairy ladden cousin in calories. My husband is a ranchaholic, and I've given him this in place of ranch a few times. He noticed, but didn't care enough to stop eating it.
Fritemare is offline  
#19 Old 04-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Fritemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,154
Mock Ranch Dressing



1 1/2 cups cashews (soaked until soft, 2-4 hours)

1 cup water

juice of one lemon

1/3 cup cider vinegar

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

3 tablespoons agave

2 cloves garlic

1 teaspoon garlic powder

3 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon dill

1 tablespoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon basil



Blend until smooth. This recipe will give you about 3 cups of dressing. I usually store it in a jar in the 'fridge. It gets thicker as it sits. I've also used sunflower seeds in place of the cashews because of price. Turns out just as good.
Fritemare is offline  
#20 Old 04-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Newbie
 
Cloudygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Okay - here it is:



Asian Peanut Dip



Process the following in the food processor :



1/2 cup natural peanut butter

1/3 cup reduced-fat silken tofu

3 T. light brown sugar

2 T. fresh lime juice

2 T. low-sodium soy sauce

1/4 - 1/2 t. crushed red pepper

1 clove garlic - crushed

1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger



I always double the recipe.



wow that sounds good
Cloudygirl is offline  
#21 Old 04-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Newbie
 
Cloudygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 89
pasta cold pasta with roasted veggies and a bit of pesto is my favourite lunch. Vegan pesto is easy to make if you are vegan.



I also love soups. Can he reheat food at work or have a flask. I pack mine with veggies and pulses and blend them.
Cloudygirl is offline  
#22 Old 04-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Riot Nrrrd
 
Dave in MPLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St Cloud MN
Posts: 3,180
I'm a huge fan of cold grain salads, but if he doesn't like couscous he probably won't like those.



How about good old fashioned PB&J? Probably not an everyday thing, but on occasion.



Or the 'grown up' version - apple butter (which is just sweetened boiled apple mush) and almond butter (like peanut butter but with almonds). On whole wheat ....

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Dave in MPLS is offline  
#23 Old 04-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

I'm a huge fan of cold grain salads, but if he doesn't like couscous he probably won't like those.



How about good old fashioned PB&J? Probably not an everyday thing, but on occasion.



Or the 'grown up' version - apple butter (which is just sweetened boiled apple mush) and almond butter (like peanut butter but with almonds). On whole wheat ....



He's got the sandwich and things down. He just needs to increase his vegetable intake for the day. He eats too many carbs and not enough veggies.



I ended up making a black bean, fresh corn, onion, red pepper, and radish salad with cilantro, and a tomato/lime/cumin/chili powder dressing. He's happy with that. But now thinks he might not like cilantro.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#24 Old 04-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
gillibean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

He's got the sandwich and things down. He just needs to increase his vegetable intake for the day. He eats too many carbs and not enough veggies.



I ended up making a black bean, fresh corn, onion, red pepper, and radish salad with cilantro, and a tomato/lime/cumin/chili powder dressing. He's happy with that. But now thinks he might not like cilantro.



yummy!!!
gillibean is offline  
#25 Old 04-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,049
I can't eat the same thing two days in a row or I am suddenly tired of it for a LONG while... People call me picky, but I have to have a break inbetween eating the same thing. Just thinking if he keeps getting tired of, or complaining about things...



Some of these have been said before:

How about pasta salad with lots of chopped/sliced veggies?

3 bean salad with oil and lemon dressing? Carrot, raisin adn pineapple salad? Cucumber salad with dill and vegenaise dressing?

Vietnamese Fresh Rolls? Black-bean and corn salsa (no cilantro)with some whole grain chips? Brocolli "slaw" with vegenaise (and raisins and sunflower seeds! YUM!).

I was gonna post vegan ranch because that's the only dip my kids will eat (I have a recipe on my blog thats very much like Fritemares).



Good luck!!
Tofu-N-Sprouts is offline  
#26 Old 04-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ripvanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,191
Y'know what NEVER gets old? Grilled veggies and mushrooms, heavy on the peppers and onions, with some garlic and pepper. Mmm, I could eat nothing but... Delicious cold or hot.



Won't solve all your problems, but it's so savory he can't possible call it 'boring.'
ripvanfish is offline  
#27 Old 04-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,551
i don't like cilantro either. parsley works fine in its place, and doesn't taste half as horrible.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#28 Old 04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I can't eat the same thing two days in a row or I am suddenly tired of it for a LONG while... People call me picky, but I have to have a break inbetween eating the same thing. Just thinking if he keeps getting tired of, or complaining about things...



Some of these have been said before:

How about pasta salad with lots of chopped/sliced veggies?

3 bean salad with oil and lemon dressing? Carrot, raisin adn pineapple salad? Cucumber salad with dill and vegenaise dressing?

Vietnamese Fresh Rolls? Black-bean and corn salsa (no cilantro)with some whole grain chips? Brocolli "slaw" with vegenaise (and raisins and sunflower seeds! YUM!).

I was gonna post vegan ranch because that's the only dip my kids will eat (I have a recipe on my blog thats very much like Fritemares).



Good luck!!



No carbs allowed! Just veggies. You see my challenge? lol. I'm not going to prepare 5 different veggie dishes for him to have something different every day either. I have enough of my own stuff to do. If it came to that, he certainly cook make it himself! I may try making some veggie ranch, and maybe make raw veggie bags again... but different combos every day.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post

Y'know what NEVER gets old? Grilled veggies and mushrooms, heavy on the peppers and onions, with some garlic and pepper. Mmm, I could eat nothing but... Delicious cold or hot.



Won't solve all your problems, but it's so savory he can't possible call it 'boring.'



Mushrooms are a no go. I can sneak them in things sometimes, but he'd notice in his lunch. I love cold grilled veggie sandwiches though!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#29 Old 04-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Newbie
 
Cherry--Bomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12
I can TOTALLLLY relate to your situation! I make my boyfriends lunch for him, and at first I was having a hard time packing it full of veggies buttttt, I started to incorporate funky salads (like adding mixed greens, mandarins, nuts, stuff like that), and also chopping up some veggies, and throwing in a container of fat free ranch dressing (he loves that stuff). Pasta salads are another option because they are easy to make and you can really play around with different recipes.



Good Luck!!
Cherry--Bomb is offline  
#30 Old 04-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Bios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 685
Fresh strawberries are not calorie or carb dense, and very tasty. Not a veggie but a similar place in the diet.
Bios is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off