Dry soup mix additions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I got some dehydrated soup mix from the bulk bin awhile ago but I don't know what to add to it. It's got split peas, lentils, carrots, barley, wheat alphabet noodles, some thing yellow that I think is a grain, and no spices. Any ideas on spices/further additions? Also when I rehydrate the mix, would it do any good to use veggie broth instead of just water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I would cook it in a veggie broth. I've used Knorr brand vegetarian bouillon on occasion and it's quite tasty without any other additions.

You could add some celery, onion and potatoes. For seasoning a few bay leaves, parsley, thyme and savory would be a good start. You could add some canned crushed tomatoes also for a more 'minestone' type of soup. With a plain soup mix you can really experiment with different seasonings.
#3 Old 04-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

I would cook it in a veggie broth. I've used Knorr brand vegetarian bouillon on occasion and it's quite tasty without any other additions.

You could add some celery, onion and potatoes. For seasoning a few bay leaves, parsley, thyme and savory would be a good start. You could add some canned crushed tomatoes also for a more 'minestone' type of soup. With a plain soup mix you can really experiment with different seasonings.

I can also recommend Knorr veggie bouillon cubes. Very good flavor.

I'm with Rani; I also think potatoes would be a good idea. Adding them would make it into a nice, substantial meal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Beginner

I would add a can of crushed tomatoes and some chopped up veggies (anything you like). Is this soup mix vegan or simply vegetarian? Sounds kinda good...
#5 Old 04-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I made the soup a little bit ago and it turned out fantastic. Even my soup hating boyfriend loved it and had 2 bowls!!!!!!!!!!!! I just added a can of diced tomatoes,half a can of stewed tomatoes that I pureed, mrs dash tomato/italian spices, paprika, olive oil and some minced garlic i had the the freezer. Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'll use them next time when I make soup next time.

Nidobunny, the mix was vegan. It was just dehydrated veggies , no spices or anything. Check the bulk section of your store they might have something similar. Next time i'm there i'll write down exactly what in it the mix so it can be recreated by others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page