Can someone help me with hummus, please? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Beginner

I really like Tribe of 2 Shieks Roasted Garlic, Trader Joe's Garlic, and the Roasted Garlic hummus from Costco (can't remember the brand). I've tried to make my own, but all of the recipes I've tried are lacking a key flavor and I can't place it.

All of my recipes have chickpeas, tahini, garlic (roasted or not), olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and cumin in varying proportions.

Does anyone have a recipe that comes close to any of the 3 I've mentioned above, or any idea what ingredient I'm missing?

I know a lot of people don't like commercial hummus, but I much prefer it to any that I've tried to make myself. Maybe I'm just weird!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't tried them--I'd encourage you keep varying those proportions, and rosemary or oregano pairs really well with roasted garlic so try sprinkling a bit of one or the other in a batch one day. A little extra zap can be had from seasame seeds as well.

Commercial hummus most likely puts a lot more tahini in than you do, if you like it more--that's the 'fat' element, and it's what a lot of us really love. A splash of olive oil will also really help bring out the roasted garlic--and if you really want you can leave the roasted garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil the night before to let the oil really soak up the flavors so when it blends through it spreads the love. :P
#3 Old 03-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Letting it sit overnight might also help the flavors meld better. I find my homemade hummus is MUCH MUCH garlickier than the storebought stuff even if I just use one clove.

If you want to get the same creamy texture, shell the chickpeas.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

If you want to get the same creamy texture, shell the chickpeas.

Another trick for creamy hummus is to make in the blender instead of the food processor. Amazing difference.

My best hummus is made when I go the extra step and prepare my own chickpeas - and be sure yours haven't been in the pantry too long, the fresher, the better.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 03-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, using cooked-from-dry chickpeas makes a HUGE difference. Cook them until they're very soft.

Also I would add more tahini and DEFINITELY some good-tasting extra virgin olive oil. Sometimes to boost the "olive" taste I add just one or two kalamata olives.

Just play around with seasonings, you don't rally need a specific recipe.

Oh, and salt too. Add salt to your taste, not what the recipe says, you'd be surprised how much salt commercial hummus has.
#6 Old 03-28-2008, 05:01 PM

My homemade hummus is always thicker than my favorite TJ version, so I add a little more oil and lemon juice. If you cook the chickpeas, you can add some of the cooking liquid, but I sometimes forget to save it, so I use the above instead. I'll have to try the blender next time and see if that helps because shelling chickpeas sounds like a LOT of work
#7 Old 03-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muse View Post

I really like Tribe of 2 Shieks Roasted Garlic, Trader Joe's Garlic, and the Roasted Garlic hummus from Costco (can't remember the brand). I've tried to make my own, but all of the recipes I've tried are lacking a key flavor and I can't place it.

All of my recipes have chickpeas, tahini, garlic (roasted or not), olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and cumin in varying proportions.

Does anyone have a recipe that comes close to any of the 3 I've mentioned above, or any idea what ingredient I'm missing?

I know a lot of people don't like commercial hummus, but I much prefer it to any that I've tried to make myself. Maybe I'm just weird!

Have you tried roasting the garlic for your hummus?

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#8 Old 03-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Beginner

i sometimes add some of the liquid (from the can if using can... from the cooking water if i cooked them from the hard bean) to it also... i don't know if it would change the flavor much though.
#9 Old 03-29-2008, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Shelling the chickpeas didn't work for creamier hummus. It just made me go through too much labor with no result.

I managed to get creamy (restaurant-like) hummus simply by using water along with olive oil.

I also put it Mediterranean oregano, tahini, lots of lemon juice, garlic (roasted or otherwise), and salt and pepper to taste. Divine!

And if I only have Mexican oregano on hand, I like dipping tortillas into the hummus.
#10 Old 03-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular

You can add a bit of Tofutti better than sour cream to it....I love how it makes the hummus taste and helps with creaminess. And tofutti has a non-hydrogenated version.
#11 Old 03-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

The only hummus I've made that turned out was a raw version with sprouted chickpeas. I tried using canned once, and the flavor was horrible. I also used some really cheap olive oil the first time. Make sure you are using good quality oil or you are going to end up with a funky taste. Squirting Bragg's in there helps the salty taste without actually dumping salt in there.
#12 Old 03-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritemare View Post

Squirting Bragg's in there helps the salty taste without actually dumping salt in there.

Sodium is sodium. Braggs is just soy-sauce flavored salt.
#13 Old 03-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Sodium is sodium. Braggs is just soy-sauce flavored salt.

Not even close. Salt contains 1,150 mg sodium per 1/2 tsp. Bragg's contains 140 mg sodium per 1/2 tsp.
#14 Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestions. I always cook my own chickpeas, can't stand the canned taste and roasted garlic is a must. I made a few batches over the weekend and still haven't "cracked" it. *sigh* I'll keep trying.
#15 Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

My home-made hummus isn't quite like store bought either. I really really like adding roasted red peppers to it and that makes it amazing. I don't like plain hummus anymore except from this one restaurant in town, because I think the red pepper kind is just so creamy and perfect for bread, veggies, sandwiches, wraps, whatever. I don't like the nuttiness of tahini so if I use it I only use a little. Good Luck and keep trying! It took me awhile to get quantities and a flavor I like.
#16 Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Beginner

Add about a tsp or more of coriander depending on how spicy/spiced you like things. This may be the difference you're looking for.
#17 Old 03-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Beginner

I made some yesterday and it's also missing "something"...

Quote:

Not even close. Salt contains 1,150 mg sodium per 1/2 tsp. Bragg's contains 140 mg sodium per 1/2 tsp.

Great to know, but what is Braggs? A brand of soy sauce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo_zero View Post

Add about a tsp or more of coriander depending on how spicy/spiced you like things. This may be the difference you're looking for.

I'm gonna try coriander... I jsut got back from the store- gotta put it on my next list.. I love all the wonderful spices I've been using since becoming veg*n!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

My home-made hummus isn't quite like store bought either. I really really like adding roasted red peppers to it and that makes it amazing. I don't like plain hummus anymore except from this one restaurant in town, because I think the red pepper kind is just so creamy and perfect for bread, veggies, sandwiches, wraps, whatever. I don't like the nuttiness of tahini so if I use it I only use a little. Good Luck and keep trying! It took me awhile to get quantities and a flavor I like.

I picked up some sun-dried tomatoes to put in my hummus maybe it'll have close to the same effect...
#18 Old 03-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Beginner

The tahini might be the difference also. I use a 3:1 ratio of toasted sesame seed to extra virgin olive oil. Homemade seems to make a better tasting hummus. Though that could all be psychological! Store tahini is prohibitively expensive for me anyway as well.
#19 Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muse View Post

this may be a stupid question, but did you look at the ingredients listed on the back of the packages of the hummus you like? i compared ingredients of a store bought one to what i put in my homemade one, and they were exactly the same... different taste and texture though. personally, i like homemade better... the store bought ones i've had are too creamy... almost like whipped cream. i also LOVE really lemony hummus.

aside from letting your hummus sit overnight and roasting your garlic, i'm not sure what else you could try. just adding varying degrees of the ingredients is what you can do. sucks, i know!
#20 Old 04-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skfamiliar View Post

this may be a stupid question, but did you look at the ingredients listed on the back of the packages of the hummus you like? i compared ingredients of a store bought one to what i put in my homemade one, and they were exactly the same... different taste and texture though.

Yeah, I'm using the same ingredients in descending quantities, just like they're listed on the packages. It usually says "spices" which is kind of cryptic. I'll try the coriander and see if that does it.

Otherwise, I'll just infiltrate a hummus factory and steal the recipe
#21 Old 04-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallie-Veggie View Post

Great to know, but what is Braggs? A brand of soy sauce?

Kind of. It is a product used in a lot of raw recipes, but technically it isn't raw. You'll most likely only be able to find it at a specialty store. I found some at HEB though in a huge bottle. It has a neat spray top to it, great for squirting on salads or onto food for extra flavor. I was even wrong about it, it has 110 mg of sodium, not 140 per 1/2 tsp. It tastes MUCH better than soysauce IMHO. http://www.bragg.com/products/liquidaminos.html
#22 Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, another thing I tried last night. I decided to make cooked hummus for a change. I used veggie broth instead of water to cook them, and cooked them until they cracked. I then added what was left of the broth to my blender along with the chick peas. I then put in a clump of tahini, lemon juice and garlic. Since I used the broth, I didn't find the need to add any salt to it. Some people may not agree.
#23 Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

A friend of mine suggests boiling canned chickpeas for about 3 minutes before making the hummus.
#24 Old 04-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Process the chickpeas and then slowly add the other things, testing as you add.. that's the way I do it. Sometimes garlic is way strong and sometimes it's mild.. so it pays to check.

I like lemony hummus too.
#25 Old 04-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Kind of. It is a product used in a lot of raw recipes, but technically it isn't raw. You'll most likely only be able to find it at a specialty store. I found some at HEB though in a huge bottle. It has a neat spray top to it, great for squirting on salads or onto food for extra flavor. I was even wrong about it, it has 110 mg of sodium, not 140 per 1/2 tsp. It tastes MUCH better than soysauce IMHO. http://www.bragg.com/products/liquidaminos.html

Thanks for this information, Fritemare!! I have an ongoing list for stuff to pick up from my (WELL stocked) natural food store!!!
#26 Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Beginner

Artichokes are an awesome addition to hummus, too.
#27 Old 04-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shajen View Post

Artichokes are an awesome addition to hummus, too.

Mmmm...marinated artichoke hearts and capers in hummus. That sounds like a treat right there!
#28 Old 04-05-2008, 08:00 PM

I can't help the OP, but my simple hummus is always a huge hit at dinner parties.. BUT, I give credit to the vitamix. You can throw anything in that thing and it will come out like a gourmet looking sauce!

I just use canned chic peas, olive oil, tahini, sea salt and some lemon juice. Plus, of course, the main ingredient: as much garlic as you're willing to make your friends put up with. I seriously ALWAYS go overboard on the garlic, which is why I am enjoying being single! I've made this hummus many many times, and never use a recipe (just taste as I make)... I love sprinkling paprika on it after.. makes me feel like I know what I'm doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page