A Forum for Flexitarians - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-27-2008, 02:05 PM

I asked about posting the link to my new forum, and they said I could once, if its in the right place. Only, I'm not sure which place is right for it, but this seems like the best!

I now consider myself a semi-vegetarian (I prefer flexitarian as the term since people are so virulantly hatred towards people who are vegetarian most of the time but eat meat maybe once a week or once a month, calling them hypocrites and such.)

I made this forum for flexitarians/pescatarians/pollotarians because I feel that we are rather left out of this forum, and even criticized and derided. We need a place of our own.

Why not just a regular food forum? Why not just call ourselves omnivores and be done with? Well there's a difference between a flexitarian and an omnivore.

We have hearts for the lifestyle that goes with being a flexitarian. We think about the food we are eating, where it comes from, we feel guilty if we eat battery cage eggs instead of free range organic or whathaveyou. We want to be healthy and live good lives. And we still mostly eat vegetarian! But we don't restrict ourselves to the point where we almost religiously and fervently kick ourselves for having one bag of marshmellows at a campout or going for takeout when a friend is treating us! I know my step-family won't LET me eat vegetarian when I visit, I have to eat what they cook or not at all (and they don't let me cook in their kitchen!)

Another reason I made this forum is because I don't feel right posting in a vegetarian forum when I don't really fit the specific 'type' of vegetarian that is considered 'vegetarian' here. Semi or flexi isn't considered veggie and thats rather a shame to me, but better to create a place where I can feel comfortable than try to force others to change their attitudes. I still may post here from time to time, but only if people are really willing to put up with this sometimes-a-meat-eater.

So here is a forum for us, I'm still figuring out how each forum section is going to be. Its new so it has no members yet.

Anyhoo here it is. http://thefringe.freeforums.org/

Hope this post doesn't seem to step on anybodys toast, not trying to sound flamey, but coming back to this forum and seeing threads that criticise pescatarians and such so recently posted too and all the 'if you eat a little bit of animal you aren't veggie' threads, its sort of made me a bit bitter and cynical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think you're allowed to advertise your forum here.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#3 Old 03-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Vegan Police Officer

No comment.

Except for "no comment".

Flexitarians should be... (no, actually, I'm not allowed to say what I think - even in jest, a moderator told me once.)

Last comment: Go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

So instead of being bitter and cynical, why not become a real vegetarian, instead of a wishy-washy 'when I feel like it' 'flexitarian'? (God, I hate that word)
#5 Old 03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Flextiarian is about the stupidest term ever (except for pollotarian). It's definitition is exactly the same as omnivore. You are bitter and cynical because you don't like people telling the truth. Vegetarians don't eat meat. Ever. For any reason. It's really not complicated or meant to make other people feel excluded. If you want in the club so badly, stop eating meat.
#6 Old 03-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Saz
Veggie Regular

I think its fine to create a forum for these kind of diets, I'm sure some must already exist. But I don't think it makes sense to be offended by people saying you aren't a vegetarian... because if you eat meat (intentionally, I'm sure accidents are understandable!) then by definition you are not a vegetarian.

Good luck with the forum, though.
#7 Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

If you eat a little bit of an animal you aren't a vegetarian; that's sort of the point.

Your step-family doesn't respect your choices so you cave to their demands? Nice.

You... can't not eat marshmellows? Um, okay.

Why couldn't you pick an option without meat when your friend treats you to something? Your friend is an ass if he just decides to bring a burger over if you've said you're a vegetarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandryad View Post

Hope this post doesn't seem to step on anybodys toast, not trying to sound flamey

You did step on my toast, and you burned it! I demand new toast.
#8 Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

Flextiarian is about the stupidest term ever (except for pollotarian). It's definitition is exactly the same as omnivore. You are bitter and cynical because you don't like people telling the truth. Vegetarians don't eat meat. Ever. For any reason. It's really not complicated or meant to make other people feel excluded. If you want in the club so badly, stop eating meat.

Exactly. You're either omni or veg, There is no need to make all these fancy "almost but not quite" terms. If you want to "join the club" stop eating flesh. It's really that simple.

Quote:
We think about the food we are eating, where it comes from, we feel guilty if we eat battery cage eggs instead of free range organic or whathaveyou

There is no such thing as "humane" or "happy" eggs, Flesh or dairy. You must not be thinking very hard.

Quote:
one bag of marshmellows at a campout or going for takeout when a friend is treating us!

By vegetarian marshmallows, Order something vegetarian. Simple, Huh?

Quote:
I know my step-family won't LET me eat vegetarian when I visit, I have to eat what they cook or not at all

How old are you, 7? They can't make you eat anything. Are they shoving it down your throat? No? I didn't think so. It won't kill you to miss a meal in order to save a life. Your famliy might be a bunch of a** holes, But that doesn't give you the right to kill because your afraid to stand up to them.

Quote:
Semi or flexi isn't considered veggie and thats rather a shame to me

Yeah... Maybe that's because it isn't? You're just an omni, A normal, Everyday omni. You may eat less meat than other omnis, But you're still just an omni. Live with it or change, That's your only options.
#9 Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 PM

Yeah, these are the exact sort of comments I expected when I created this thread. Exactly why I created my forum. Because I didn't expect anybody here to understand.

Would a mod please lock this thread please? I've put my link here, now I'm done. >_>
#10 Old 03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is there to understand? That you are too lazy to make the full change? That you want the title without the "work"? That you obviously don't care about the animals as much as you say you do?

ETA If you knew you would get "these kinds" of comments, then why the hell did you post here?
#11 Old 03-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread has been closed at the OP's request.

The OP is an established member, and as such, is allowed to promote their own website (within reason, of course). They even politely asked permission.

As for the flexitarian bashing... take it to the Heap.

Nec Aspera Terrent
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page