Are grits processed? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Beginner

I read in an cookbook that grits (cream of rice, cream of buckwheat, millet grits or polenta...) are a processed food just like white rice. Is this true? I always thought they were just a ground up version of the grain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Cream of rice is white rice ground up. Polenta/grits is ground corn, like a coarse cornmeal. I don't know how processed you consider dried, ground corn.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 03-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Beginner

I never realized that cream of rice was WHITE rice. Is this true for all varieties, even brands like lundberg? It says it's made from brown rice, then again so is white rice. http://www.lundberg.com/products/cer...ce_cereal.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycutie View Post

I read in an cookbook that grits (cream of rice, cream of buckwheat, millet grits or polenta...) are a processed food just like white rice. Is this true? I always thought they were just a ground up version of the grain.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but this might help.

White rice is milled to remove much or all of the pericarp from the grain's exterior. Hominy "grits", which are what many people refer to as grits, are corm kernels soaked in limewater until the pericarp is removed, then ground. They are both "processed" but most nutritionists would probably argue that grits are far more nutritious than plain corn because of a chemical process (nixtamalization) that takes place due to the introsuction of the lime. The same can't be said for white rice.
#5 Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Grits are made from Hominy corn. It is corn soaked in Lye. Green Olives are made the same way. (so is soap). I sort of tend to separate a method of manufacture 2000 years old from a recent "chemistry" experiment.
#6 Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Will grits wash out your insides, then, if they were processed using lye?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Will grits wash out your insides, then, if they were processed using lye?

Your stomach contains sulfuric acid. You could eat a brick and have no ill effects.

In fact the funny thing is, It doesn't matter what source people get any of the molecules they need to live from, physically. Vegetables, animals, it doesn't matter. Mentally is a different matter.
#8 Old 03-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

Your stomach contains sulfuric acid. You could eat a brick and have no ill effects.

In fact the funny thing is, It doesn't matter what source people get any of the molecules they need to live from, physically. Vegetables, animals, it doesn't matter. Mentally is a different matter.

It was a joke.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#9 Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It was a joke.

I got it. The is a dead giveaway.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#10 Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

Grits are made from Hominy corn. It is corn soaked in Lye. Green Olives are made the same way. (so is soap). I sort of tend to separate a method of manufacture 2000 years old from a recent "chemistry" experiment.

I'm not sure what this means, either!

Hominy and grits have been around for thousands of years, as has nixtamalization with limestone (still in practice in much of the world). Commercial practices use refined slake lime these days for quality control, but it's the same process. Refined white rice has been around for quite a long time, too. What's the recent "chemistry" you're talking about?
#11 Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Beginner

Well I wasn't refering to hominy grits, or whatever those are. I was more talking about cream of rice and cream of buckwheat, like hot cereals. I wasn't sure if those were processed. Here's the cereals in specific:

http://www.poconofoods.com/pocono_cream.htm

http://www.arrowheadmills.com/produc...=223&cat_id=57

The rice and shine says it was made from organic brown rice grits, which is why I'm confused on this entire processed statement.
#12 Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It was a joke.

I know. I was being a jerk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page