Tinned Tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone,

I'm a new vegetarian - 1 month! I'm back at my parent's house from College, and brought some veggie food with me. I brought back a tin of tofu (don't know where I'd get it in my very rural town: the brand is marigold. I know I won't eat it all in one sitting, so how do I store it once opened, and how long for?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM

I've never seen tofu in a can before. Thats so weird to me! But just put it in a container that has a lid and cover it with water. Change the water everyday and eat it within 2-3 days.

Where the heck did you find canned tofu? When I read "tinned tofu" I pictured little strips of tofu shaped like sardines, lol.
#3 Old 03-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Banned

like this stuff? http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...ofu__225g.html

i'd treat it like tuna- put it in a little plastic pot with a lid on it/cup covered in cling film, keep it in the fridge. try and use it within 2 or 3 days or so- bin it if it starts to look or taste weird/different.

if its the stuff i linked to, i'd not put water in the tub, cos it'll go soggy and the oil will seperate out- and that'd make it go weird- it should be fine just sealed up tight. tofu from a packet (usually bought chilled in the supermarket, in a sort of shrink wrapped plastic bubble with some water in it- like the cauldron brand stuff- i'm gonna assume you're in england for now!) normally does get kept in water once opened though, and it should be changed daily and used within 4 days.

ooh, and hey: welcome to veggieboards! and congratulations on becoming a veggie- well done you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Firstly, Welcome! Secondly, The canned stuff should just be put in a well-sealed container and put in the refrigerator to be used withen about a 4 day period. No water is needed. If it's packaged water-covered tofu, You need to re-package the tofu covered with water in a container in the refrigerator, Change the water daily and use it withen 4 days.
#5 Old 03-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the tips! Have put it on a plate covered in clingfilm in the fridge but to be honest I'm not sure it will get eaten! Had half of it for lunch today with a roast: looked like dog-food, and really didn't taste very nice at all. Kind of sweet with a salty aftertaste, not nice! Don't know what's been done to it!
#6 Old 03-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Banned

yeah, i'm not a big fan of it myself... but don't let it put you off trying other new stuff- there are some excellent products out there. maybe you could try dousing it with some kinda sauce or something?
#7 Old 03-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

yeah, i'm not a big fan of it myself... but don't let it put you off trying other new stuff- there are some excellent products out there. maybe you could try dousing it with some kinda sauce or something?

Sauce is the only thing that makes tofu tasty, IMHO.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#8 Old 03-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh...are you supposed to change the water of your tofu every day? I have some tofu that I transfered into a plastic container after using about half of it and covered it with water, but I haven't changed the water...

Haha, it's sorta funny actually. Watering your tofu!

So what happens if you don't change the water? It looked/tasted fine to me...I think?

Oh yeah...and my favorite way to eat it is either stir-frying it with like garlic and onions and some olive oil, or cooking it in tomato sauce for a bit. yum yum. That's what I had for dinner.

<3<3<3
#9 Old 03-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ooh...are you supposed to change the water of your tofu every day? I have some tofu that I transfered into a plastic container after using about half of it and covered it with water, but I haven't changed the water...

Haha, it's sorta funny actually. Watering your tofu!

So what happens if you don't change the water? It looked/tasted fine to me...I think?

Oh yeah...and my favorite way to eat it is either stir-frying it with like garlic and onions and some olive oil, or cooking it in tomato sauce for a bit. yum yum. That's what I had for dinner.

<3<3<3

yeah, you are sposed to change the water every day. bacteria love water and protein, and so the tofu is an ideal growth medium for them. if you don't change it it'll turn into a little cloudy bacterial haven, the tofu will go bad faster, and you may get a dodgy tummy.
#10 Old 03-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I'm one of those strange people that likes tofu by itself, just boiled or steamed! Sauce ruins it, in my opinion. But I've never been one for mixing flavours, even as an omni I couldn't have the gravy on any of my food!
#11 Old 03-25-2008, 04:36 AM

I like tofu and cheezly sandwich.

it's goodw with fried onions, as a scramble too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page