Green Tea - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone like green tea? If so, what is your favorite kind?

My favorite would have to be Longjing (Dragonwell).

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was a kid, before green tea became so popular, we drank gallons of Gunpowder and Jasmine, and Jasmine is still my favorite tea.

Not too long ago an acquaintance gave me a small can of Matcha powder, which is very nice, and very generous too, since that stuff is awfully expensive.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 03-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

It's expensive, but I love Sencha tea! My flatmate gave me some for my birthday. But green tea is great, just the bog-standard plain chinese stuff is good as well. Actually, I'm missing mine now... left all mine 5 hrs north in my flat and am stuck on holiday with some rooibos and rooibos earl grey. Which I love! But am now in a green tea mood! What's matcha like? Isn't that the powdered japanese one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, you actually mix the powder into the water, so you end up drinking the leaves.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 03-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, Matcha is made from the very youngest and most tender green tea leaves, which are dried and ground whole into powder. You only need about a quarter-teaspoon per cup, and you get the most health benefits from drinking the powdery residue that sinks to the bottom. It also makes a good flavoring for green tea cake, if you like desserts that are flavored with green tea. I made a vegan green tea cake for my stepmom for her birthday with some of the powder, and she loved it.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow! Might try that - will make a change from coffee cake!
#7 Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I just ordered some Stash organic pinhead gunpowder green tea form Amazon. It got good reviews, so I'm hoping it's good! ^_^

veganGO -
#8 Old 03-26-2008, 12:27 PM

I like Rooibus tea. Its red tea, from africa. Very earthy (my bf says it tastes like dirt).

I highly recommend it.
#9 Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm weird with green tea. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I really can't handle it. I love whatever they serve in Chinese and Japanese restaurants, it never needs anything and it's so soothing and lovely. However, whenever I make any at home I always feel like it's too strong, and I always need to sweeten it a bit. This hasn't happened in a while but it actually used to make me feel sick to my stomach if I drank it without eating anything! Weiiird. What is the kind they normally use in asian restaurants, do you think? Maybe if I get that kind I'd really like it. I also use the kind in teabags for the most part, maybe if I used loose tea I'd like it more.

I do LOVE green tea with mint or lemon flavoring though, or with a squeeze of fresh lemon in it! Ooh, or iced with fresh mint and lemon!
#10 Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't use teabags. They contain "fannings" or the lowest quality, leftover tea leaves. They will produce a very bitter tea. Get the loose stuff, it's so much better.

veganGO -
#11 Old 03-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

I love whatever they serve in Chinese and Japanese restaurants, it never needs anything and it's so soothing and lovely. ...What is the kind they normally use in asian restaurants, do you think? Maybe if I get that kind I'd really like it.

Many restaurants will be happy to sell you their tea.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#12 Old 03-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

You can also buy some high quality tea from Amazon.com.

veganGO -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page