Gnocchi favorites? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 AM
Beginner

I've never cooked with gnocchi before, but It sounds likes something that would make an easy vegan staple. What goes well with gnocchi? Any favorite combinations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh I love gnocchi!! I have to make it though because for some stupid reason they all contain egg here. I like to make spinach gnocchi, and just cover it with marinara. So simple and yummy but for other ideas, you could:

Make TNS's cashew cream sauce (it's here in the recipe section and yummy)

Saute onions, add some zucchini, roasted red peppers, and a can of tomatoes chopped. Simmer then serve over the gnocchi.

Actually you can do anything with it. It's so versatile!
#3 Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I love love love gnocchi! How do you make it vegan?? I've always thought the egg was necessary, please tell. As far as what it goes with, I used to eat it with broccoli and garlic and oil. Then again, I eat everything with broccoli, garlic and oil. Gnocchi is a Hungarian dish as well, it goes well with goulash and gravies. Goulash is out obviously, but gnocchi should hold up well in heavier dishes and sauces all the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

This is my sweet potato gnocchi recipe -- vegan. Could also use a regular potato in lieu of sweet.

I like regular gnocchi with a light fresh tomato sauce and a few veggies, and my sweet potato gnocchi go great with snap peas and rosemary.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 03-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I had gnocchi from a frozen package one time (I believe it was vegan lol)

I was so confused! I cooked it for however long it said to cook it, but it was always squisky. I didn't know what it was supposed to feel like or if it was cooked or over cooked. Is it supposed to be like macaroni or something? My parents didn't know either.

It was potato gnocchi, BTW, and my daddy made it in his five-minute-mouth-watering homemade tomato sauce. Oh yeah.

<3
#6 Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy (vegan) gnocchi from the vegetable section of Tesco

Beautiful with a simple homemade tomoato-based sauce - I put basil leaves, peppers and courgettes in mine :yum:
#7 Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

My favorite gnocchi is homemade - my friend uses his Italian grandmother's recipe, which I think is just mashed potatoes and flour. I like it best with a good marinara sauce, but a pesto sauce works well, too.
#8 Old 03-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Beginner

#9 Old 03-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger_Lady View Post

I buy (vegan) gnocchi from the vegetable section of Tesco

WHAT?!

Why have I never seen it?! (prolly cause I never looked)

Is it in the fresh veg bit? Or somewhere else? I know what Im hunting for next time I go!!

The gnocci they sell in asda and sainsburys (which i no longer live near either) has milk in it (but no egg!) so I presumed all commercial ones would.

If I check online they only have a "fresh gnocci" in the fridge bit and its milky

I love gnocci and havent eaten it in ages 'cause im too lazy to make it and didnt realise places sold it vegan

and as for eating it, er, with a jar of premade pasta sauce over the top hehe
#10 Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

WHAT?!

Why have I never seen it?! (prolly cause I never looked)

Is it in the fresh veg bit? Or somewhere else? I know what Im hunting for next time I go!!

The gnocci they sell in asda and sainsburys (which i no longer live near either) has milk in it (but no egg!) so I presumed all commercial ones would.

If I check online they only have a "fresh gnocci" in the fridge bit and its milky

I love gnocci and havent eaten it in ages 'cause im too lazy to make it and didnt realise places sold it vegan

and as for eating it, er, with a jar of premade pasta sauce over the top hehe

I second this post. Completely
#11 Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Beginner

It also makes an awesome dessert... covered with vegan butter and cinnamon... yummmmmmmmmmm
#12 Old 03-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

It's by "Italalfresco" potato gnocchi. Ingredients:

Mashed Potato (70%) (Water, Dehydrated Potatoes (Potatoes, Emulsifier (Mono and Di-glycerides Of Fatty Acids), Antioxidant (Sodium Metabisulphite), Turmeric, Carrot Extract, Paprika)), Wheat Flour (20%), Potato Starch, Rice Flour, Salt, Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate).

I find it next to the salads

Oh, and I couldn't find it on the Tesco website either, but it's definitely on the Sainsbury's one!
#13 Old 03-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

IIRC, DaVinci brand is vegan.
#14 Old 03-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Make TNS's cashew cream sauce (it's here in the recipe section and yummy)

Saute onions, add some zucchini, roasted red peppers, and a can of tomatoes chopped. Simmer then serve over the gnocchi.

Actually you can do anything with it. It's so versatile!

Yay. Thanks, and you're right, it's the perfect 'cream' sauce for gnocchi. SOOO good! Now I need to go make some. At 10:00 at night, ...
#15 Old 03-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

This is my sweet potato gnocchi recipe -- vegan. Could also use a regular potato in lieu of sweet.

I like regular gnocchi with a light fresh tomato sauce and a few veggies, and my sweet potato gnocchi go great with snap peas and rosemary.

If I could only find silken tofu here, I'd be set. Do you have any ideas for what could replace tofu in your recipe, Megan?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#16 Old 03-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Skylark, not to dismiss megan's recipe, (because everything of hers I've made has been GOOOOOOOOD)... but I don't use tofu in my sweet-potato gnocchi and it turns out fine:

1 pound sweet potatoes (About 1 large)

about 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 tsp Earth Balance

1/4 teaspoon salt

I use a "potato ricer" to get the wonderful texture that works so well for these... then, just mix together and work into a dough, adding more flour if needed.
#17 Old 03-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I've made it without tofu as well, you'll just need less flour or more... other liquid. It works fine, the tofu just makes it a little fluffier.

#18 Old 03-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

R_C, do you put the potatoes thru a ptoato-ricer? My grammy insisted that was the only way to make gnocchi light and fluffy. (Of course she didn't cook with tofu, so who knows.)
#19 Old 03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Yay. Thanks, and you're right, it's the perfect 'cream' sauce for gnocchi. SOOO good! Now I need to go make some. At 10:00 at night, ...

Lol I sure do like that sauce of yours I tell people about it all the time. Mostly people's eyes get wide and the look on their face just shows that their thinking about a cream sauce and how delicious it must taste made from cashews. It's always a really cool moment. I don't know how you thought that up but it officially makes you the most creative cook I know. lol

I actually bought another food processer that's bigger just so I can make bigger batches of your cashew sauce- no joke. I broke my little one (cause I break stuff lol) and replaced it with a bigger one just for this reason. Mmmm... I wonder what's for lunch
#20 Old 03-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

R_C, do you put the potatoes thru a ptoato-ricer? My grammy insisted that was the only way to make gnocchi light and fluffy. (Of course she didn't cook with tofu, so who knows.)

I don't have a potato ricer. I just mash them then send them 'round in the Kitchenaid. My rebel cooking techniques would probably make your Grammy blush! They come out great though.

#21 Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you, TNS and Megan. Stupid question: TNS, what's a potato-ricer?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#22 Old 03-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Never a stupid question.

THIS is a potato ricer.

They make incredibly fluffy mashed potatoes. I think they were a German sort of thing? You can pick them up cheap at Goodwill and the like.
#23 Old 03-26-2008, 05:21 AM
Beginner

Thanks for all of the replies everyone I still haven't found good vegan gnocchi around here, and I'm not brave enough to make them myself, but I'll be looking at this thread when I do.
#24 Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I can never find them vegan either. But why not just try and make them? At worst you'll have made a $5 edible mistake lol. First time I made them they just didn't hold together well enough but I ate them anyway and they were still tastey. Now I make them and freeze or refrigerate them if I'm going to eat them again with a couple days. Plus, they're kinda fun to make. I dunno but I say give it a try! I don't have a potato ricer and I do like RC does and just throw them in the kitchenaid. They're delish and way better homemade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page