Jackfruit Disaster.. ugh ugh ugh! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-15-2003, 10:24 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

My Dad bought a jackfruit yesterday, and when I went over tonight he suggested I try and cook it.

Never again! They are horrid! Thier insides are full of latex, and if you don't cover your hands in oil when you cut them up, your hands stick together! Ugh, ugh, ugh. I'm very adventurous in my eating and trying new things.. but jackfruit is going on my (very short) never again list. Ugh! The taste after being cooked was kind of slightly bearable, but they were just so unappealing after the whole latex thing.

For those who don't know what jackfruit is, they are really large breadfruit, and they grow in the South Pacific. Shipwrecked sailors eat them in bad novels. You'd have to be shipwrecked to eat one! They look like giant, football sized green rambutans, and when you cut them up, the insides look a bit like shredded chicken covered in oleander sap.

Anyone else tried this culinary delight? I've still got half of one in the fridge if you want to try......

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2003, 11:34 AM

Sorry to hear about your disaster. They are definately sticky and some people find the smell to be less than appealing. With that said, I love, love, love jackfruit. I've never tried to cook it. Didn't know you could. Maybe that was your problem. Did you try it raw. It actually has a really nice sweet flavor.
#3 Old 10-15-2003, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always wanted to try jackfruit, just because to me in SoCal it isn't readily available. I've only ever seen it sold in dried strips along with the dates and raisins, so I always thought it was a sweetish fruit. As a cooked green football it doesn't sound to appealing, but I think I might try keep my mind open about the dried bits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Anyone else tried this culinary delight?

Yes, I've had it quite a few times and love it. I never tried buying a whole fruit and doing something with it. But, I've had fresh jack fruit from the street market in Thailand and canned jack fruit from Asian stores in the US. They were both very good. I suggest you try some canned jack fruit. It has a pleasant sweet taste.

I thought that the jack fruit I got on the street market wasn't cooked. I didn't know that you had to cook jack fruit. I assumed that , like other fruits, it didn't have to be cooked. I could be wrong though.
#5 Old 10-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Banned

i love jackfruit.. they don't only grow in the south pacific, they grow in south america too. it tastes slightly different.. and you can get both the "firm" and the "soft" kind. i've tried both kinds and i absolutely hated the asian one. it's extremely slimy and smells like.. garbage i don't like the soft slimy kind at all, but i LOVE the firm kind. it's quite fibrous, very sweet, and not slimy at all!!! oh, and i didn't know it's also eaten cooked
#6 Old 10-15-2003, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had jackfruit from a can, and I've experimented with it a bit and think it's good.

You can use it (canned variety) as a tuna sub. Sounds strange, but when you open a can, you'll see why. The texture is very close. If you're good with ingredients and experimenting, you can give it a shot: try makining tuna salad or tuna salad sandwiches with it. I recommend veganaise mayonnaise Use some kelp powder, etc.
#7 Old 10-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Hmmm... OK. I'll try it again, raw and ripe next time. I went for the cooked sort (even had a special jackfruit recipe) coz I luuuurve cooking with fruits. Green papaya is the best! I might let someone else prepare it though.

I suspect it may go the way of custard apples though. One of the few non-meat foods I just can't get my head around. I've tried them numerous way, and still ugh! Strangely enough, I like durian though.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#8 Old 10-16-2003, 01:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried it once. It was okay but I think I'd try a different recipe the next time. I got the kind that is in a can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page