My french bread is too bubbly and cratered and I dont know why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

My french bread is too bubbly and cratered and I dont know why

Maybe you had the oven heat turned up too high?

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 03-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Amy, the dough was bubbly and cratered after rising. Maybe i'm letting it rise too long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm willing to bet somebody on the board has an answer for you, so I moved your post to its own thread in Food Discussion. Can anybody help our poor little gillibean?

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 03-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Recipe? Knowing what you did will help know what went wrong Do you have an oven thermometer? Plus, I just want your recipe. I looove making bread but have yet to find a good way to make french bread.
#6 Old 03-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks amy! This time I used the recipe from this site http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/randi/...-french-b.html. I found the recipe I used last time. http://bakingdesserts.suite101.com/a...nchbreadrecipe

I have an oven thermometer but haven't checked the temp in the oven since the dough is my biggest problem.
#7 Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

When you say it's bubbly and cratered, do you mean the top of the dough looks funny? Or that it's bubbly and cratered inside? French bread often has bubbles on the inside - I think it has to do with the high temperatures which give it the crispy crust and fluffy insides. I've never attempted a true baguette, but my mom has. She has found that it also takes just the right humidity in the oven to get it right.
#8 Old 03-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh so you're saying it flopped before you baked it? I'd check your yeast and the temp at which you let it rise. Make sure it's not too moist and rises in a fairly warm area. And I'd knead the dough a little longer.

I bake 95% of our bread (and I love bread) without a bread machine. I've done lots of different kinds of loaves and french bread is definitely the hardest. I've broken pans, burnt, collapsed, and messed up loaves in every way imaginable even with recipes I've used for over 5 years. Sometimes, bread just does that. Try, try again!
#9 Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

When I took the dough out of the microwave( it was the warmest place in my apartment) , the surface was bubbly and crate. Could It be that I'm letting it rise a little too long? I checked on it about half way through and the surface of the dough had no craters. I added a small pan of water in the oven when I put the dough in and the crust came out pretty well. Overcooked since I forgot about it but golden . How should the room temp be while the dough is rising? Someday I'm going to get a bread machine but I feel a bit like that's cheating since I know my bread comes out perfectly everytime as long as I use the machine to mix, knead and rise it. I'm determined to make a sucessful loaf by hand befor i go buy a bread machine
#10 Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Are you saying that it formed a nice big dome while baking (you were looking through the window) and then POOFit cratered? Thats almost invariably too much water. Sometimes adjusting the amount of water by even just a couple of tablespoons will rectify this. I always measure the ingredients by weight (right down to the gram) when Im making bread, and measure the liquids precisely. That way I can always unfailingly duplicate it.

After reading post # 9 a little more carefully, I see that your problem is in the final rise before baking. Ive never had this problem, so the best I can offer is just a WAG (Wild-Assed Guess). Im still thinking it might be water.
#11 Old 03-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

The dough was rising perfectly , domed and no bubbles or craters until the last 15 minutes. I used the exactly amount of water in the recipe but next time I'll try a little bit less.
#12 Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

If the dough looked perfect except for the last 15 minutes, then that's when I'd put it in. Sometimes dough rises very quickly, or very slowly.

My last batch of bread looked beautiful right before I put it in the oven. But when I took it out the top/ crust was still nice and high but the inside had comepletely sunk down to maybe 3 inches high. I suspected rise time caue I'd never let it sit that long before. Good Luck and I hope it turns out for you. If it does, let me know what you're doing
#13 Old 03-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Next time I'm going to be very careful with how long i let it rise. I've got a few bread making books on hold at the library too so my next attempts should turn out better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page