VeggieBoards banner

Considering attempt at vegan paneer

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  abroadinSacto 
#1 ·
I've been trying to make homemade shampoo, and I got two ingredients I was wanting to experiment with; lecithin and apple cider vinegar. I'm using a base of castille, or oil-based soap.

I dissolved some lecithin granules in apple cider vinegar and added the castile soap. Immediately -curds- formed. They were putty-like, and left a residue on my hands that didn't rinse off for jack, but just seeing the curds got me thinking about vegan paneer.

One reason why is that I noticed when I added some homemade hemp milk to a red curry some tiny curds formed in it (since the curry was slightly acidic). That made me really curious. I had attempted homemade cheese before, and those tiny curds looked similar to a result I had gotten with cows milk.

Well, if vinegar + lecithin makes curd-like structures with the addition of castille soap, I started wondering if it would do the same with hemp milk, since it's fat content is pretty high. If hemp milk curdles anyway, then it seems like a win-win to me.

Anyway, this is probably something I'm going to experiment with soon.

#2 ·
I have a recipe for making vegan paneer with tofu and lemon juice. Good luck with your hemp milk version.

#4 ·
Oh, dear, I'm embarrassed that I remembered the recipe wrong. I went to look it up the day after posting, and noticed it was made with (dairy) milk, soy milk and lemon juice. I think I told myself I'd substitute a different milk for the dairy milk and re-wrote the recipe in my head. I've never made it; I just tell myself I'm going to every time I see that page! It doesn't look anything like the tofu paneer recipes I see online, rather much more like the real thing.

I can't post it as is, since it is from a book (copyrighted), but it is basically a quart of milk to a cup of soy milk (and I presume you can substitute other milks), which you cook over the stove. After you add lemon juice and mix it in, it gets that kind of crumbly texture and you pour the whole thing into a cheesecloth covered bowl to get rid of the liquid. The solid parts are formed into a block on the cloth, and then the cloth is folded around the block (looks exactly like tofu). The block is held between two pieces of wood (or dishes, or whatever you have on hand) for several days. Then, you cut up the paneer and fry it in oil before adding to whatever dish you are cooking.

BTW, the book it comes from is called The Happy Vegetarian, a Japanese book with an English title. Milk is used in some recipes, but no eggs, fish, foul or red meat. It has some really great recipes, but you have to be able to read Japanese to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.