Oat Milk - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Have any of you heard of this?

In spain nut milks have been around and common for a long time. My dad told me almond milk was more common than dairy milk when he was a kid.. considering how cows here are all over I thought that was a bit strange, though we have a herd of cows and they're not milked so maybe there are others who keep them as lawn mowers? (We have a mountain property that they keep groomed and keep the paths functional.)

Anyway, the other day when at the health food store here I saw among the almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, and tigernut milk... oat milk. I'm dying to try it and will obviously update with a review as I've never even heard of it before. Has anyone else? Is it good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

It is good. It can be very "creamy" tasting.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had oat milk, and it is creamy!

It tastes a little like oatmeal, but sweeter!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2008, 12:53 AM

Oat milk's not my fave, but my other half digs Oatly a lot. It's a bit well, grainy, for my taste. I've not heard of tigernuts before; that sounds interesting.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow! Why have you all been keeping this a secret from me??

Here's tigernut milk, the brand that's super common here and adds more sugar than you can count: http://www.chufi.es/
#6 Old 02-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

OH... CHUFA!

I only knew it by "Chufa," not "tigernut" so I was confused.

Horchata
#7 Old 02-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

Wow! Why have you all been keeping this a secret from me??

Here's tigernut milk, the brand that's super common here and adds more sugar than you can count: http://www.chufi.es/

<--- Wishes she could still read Spanish...

...gravity.

#8 Old 02-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Horchata! Mmm now I'm craving it.. I'll definately go out and get some sometime tomorrow (today everything is closed) along with oat milk mahaha. ^__^

LovelyPerv I'd be more than happy to translate anything you'd like--I've got some spare time on me!
#9 Old 02-17-2008, 03:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks! But FafaFrappy can find it in Phoenix, Az...apparently, so I'll just keep my eyes peeled for it, and try it!

...gravity.

#10 Old 02-17-2008, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Oat milk is scrummy. we drink both chocolate and white Oatly.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#11 Old 02-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

Oat milk is scrummy. we drink both chocolate and white Oatly.

Spidergrrl, can you find unenriched chocolate oatly where you live? WHERE DO YOU GET IT?! lol. I presume you are buying the unenriched since I think it was you who told me the 'D' in oatly is 'D3'.

I LOOOOOVE oatly, I buy the unenriched 'plain' kind but I really really really want to try the chocolate
#12 Old 02-17-2008, 12:55 PM

That looks yummy. I've had horchata a gazillion times, but made with almonds. I must admit I was a bit afraid to Google "tiger nuts".

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#13 Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I was actually just enjoying some oat milk. It's really good.
#14 Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

Thanks! But FafaFrappy can find it in Phoenix, Az...apparently, so I'll just keep my eyes peeled for it, and try it!

Horchata made with chufa I have not found here.. However, it can be imported! I forgot where because it's been ages.. but I hear horchata made with almonds is a passable sub.

I usually drink Mexican horchata made with rice.
#15 Old 02-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

just a quick update: i bought some oatly (they had two other brands, but one I had tried the soymilk of and wasnt a huge fan, and um.. I'd heard of oatly from you guys so it seemed like a better bet? Oh and it was 10% off!) and it is indeed creamy--its wierd that the milk LOOKS thinner than soymilk but tastes creamier! (not wierd in a bad way, just a curiosity)

also, i saw they had hazelnut milk... I might have to buy some to try it! I'm afraid of it tasting divine and not having it in Canada.. as it is the yogurt I've tried here makes me CRY.. three brands, all taste like heaven.. honestly I GET why the demand for soy yogurt is huge here, it tastes better than dairy yogurt! This cannot be said of "so nice". (NB: the biggest thing I had to give up going vegan was yogurt, which i ate quite a bit of daily, the rest I barely consumed anyway.)
#16 Old 02-19-2008, 10:05 PM

I tried almond milk this week and I really didn't like it, it's got nothing on my vitasoy. I'm going to try oat milk though, i'm off to the shops to get some now hehe.
#17 Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

Spidergrrl, can you find unenriched chocolate oatly where you live? WHERE DO YOU GET IT?! lol. I presume you are buying the unenriched since I think it was you who told me the 'D' in oatly is 'D3'.

I LOOOOOVE oatly, I buy the unenriched 'plain' kind but I really really really want to try the chocolate

No sadly I am buying the enriched. It was one of the things we decided we could compromise on because we need calcium and are trying to be selctive about the chocolate we eat (and not overeat)

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#18 Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergrrl View Post

No sadly I am buying the enriched. It was one of the things we decided we could compromise on because we need calcium and are trying to be selctive about the chocolate we eat (and not overeat)

aw I thought you were going to give me the secret of unenriched chocolate oatly there never mind.

I keep meaning to write to them asking them to switch their source of D. I really want to try chocolate oatly ... some goddess of temptation keeps leaving it in the fridge at work too lol

didn't mean to accidently police you there Heather!
#19 Old 02-20-2008, 04:01 AM
Veggie Regular

According to their website

the organic (we don't get any other here) varieties incl. chocolate are not enriched with anything (except for the special calcium variety).

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.oatly.com/ View Post

Oatly Oat Drink Chocolate - Organic

INGREDIENTS: Water, oats* (10%), raw sugar*, cacoa* (1%), rapeseed oil*, natural flavour (vanilla), sea salt.

* = organically grown, controlled by

KRAV SE Ekol1.

I've only tried the chocolate oatly once and found it too "rich" (just as the other chocolate plant milks I tried) though.

I do use the oatly cream occasionally, but other than that I prefer to eat oats not drink them.
#20 Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 AM

Oh, I wonder if we can get them to sell the organic versions in the UK!

#21 Old 02-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Oh, I wonder if we can get them to sell the organic versions in the UK!

that would be cool I sent them an email this morning encouraging them to switch to a vegan source of vitamin D, I might send them another one telling them to get their organic arses over here.
#22 Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 AM

Yeah. I sent then an email awhile ago about the D thing, and they sent back a nice letter saying that they were investigating synthetic options. If there's already a vegan product available though, that would be awesome.

#23 Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah, I see...

I thought it would be available in the UK (vegan heaven from my point of view, but of course that does not have to mean organic too) if they are even available in Germany... It did not occur to me (until I saw this thread) that Oatly had a non-organic product line at all!
#24 Old 02-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Oatly is german so it being available in germany isnt much of a stretch...

I'd say send an e-mail double checking the vitamin D type, as now its not specified on the site.
#25 Old 02-22-2008, 03:46 PM

Never heard of or had oat milk before. If I ever saw it I would try it. I do drink soy milk and had almond milk before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page