Help me with my (sugar?) cravings? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-22-2008, 02:33 PM

n/a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

You could try making raw goodies, which are better for you because they don't have refined sugar in them. I wouldn't say they are GOOD for you, but they are definately better for you than the cooked sweets are.

Here's a simple brownie recipe that pleases my sweet tooth:

1 1/2 cups raw walnuts

10 pitted dates, soaked

1/3 cup unsweetned cocoa or carob powder (I prefer cocoa)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

2 tsps water

1/4 cup chopped dried cherrie (optional, I prefer to add them)

Chop 1/4 cup of the walnuts and set them aside. Place the rest of the walnuts in your food processor and chop until finely ground. Add the dates and process until you are left with a sticky mixture. Add the water, cocoa or carob, and the vanilla. Process briefly.

Add the chopped walnuts you have set aside and the cherries if you chose to use them and mix together. I prefer using my hands so I can sort of knead the brownies. Press the mixture into a square brownie pan, and place in the 'fridge for 2 hours. They keep for one week in the refrigerator and one month in the freezer.

Another thing that may help with your sugar cravings is eating more fruit. Sometimes your body will crave sugar because you aren't getting it naturally. Dates are very sugary and often put a stop to my sugar cravings.
#3 Old 01-22-2008, 03:02 PM

That recipe sounds amazing, thank you! I'm definitely getting my hands on some dates and making that up asap.

I find that fruit in the evening doesn't really do it for me, however I hadn't considered things like dates and dried fruits, I would guess those are more effective if it is sugar I'm after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-22-2008, 11:35 PM

Dried fruit is great for sugar cravings!

Also, there's nothing wrong with a brownie every night imo as long as you eat a healthy balanced diet the rest of the time, a small brownie in the evening isn't going to affect your weight that much. If you tell yourself you "can't" have someitnhg then you start craving it more and are more likely to end up binging on it.

Also, try looking up some recipes for healthy cakes and muffins, such as those made with ww flour and oats so you are getting some nutrition with your treats too.
#5 Old 01-23-2008, 02:26 AM

Thank you for the advice There's nothing wrong with a little brownie no, but I find it very difficult to eat just a little, hee! Healthier cakes and muffins sounds like a good way to go as well, I think I might get in some dried fruit and give the cakes a break for a bit first though.

Definitely stocking up on dates
#6 Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

im fully believe in a sweet each day!

but, if it is chocolate that you are craving, you could try hot cocoa or a bit of choc melted and dipped apple slices.

you can sprinkle popcorn w/ cocoa/ little sugar, cinnamon or whatever you like. melted pb and agave (or honey) can make a yummy carmely type topping for popcorn.

toast and EB w/ sprinkle of cinn sugar or liquid sweetener!! mmm.

its odd, that often i am satisfied w/ cinn. sweetness.

i also find that tea can help w/ cravings, esp at night.
#7 Old 01-24-2008, 06:07 AM

Oooh, popcorn *drools* Gotta try that with some nice toppings!

I found some dates in the cupboard I bought a while back, I think they have syrup on them but they definitely do the trick! I'm going to look for plain dates next so I can make those raw brownies. And I've been having a cup of cocoa at night which seems to be helping too
#8 Old 01-27-2008, 08:35 PM

Do you eat a lot of carbs otherwise? I find that when I'm eating too much pasta & bread I crave ice cream! I think it's a carb thing... or maybe I'm just making that up? lol
#9 Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with ghost, I'm a huge dried fruit addict. It's not THE perfect snack... although natural, it's generally just full of sugar, gives me a stomach ache if I eat too much of it, and also... can be a bit pricey.

Raisins aren't, though. If you like them, get lots, especially the goldens. Mm, lovely. I also love dired (Zante) currants lately- like tiny raisins, very sweet with a mild flavor. Dried cherries are just wonderful, dried flame raisins are great, dried blueberries are too die for... Dried mango's great, and so are dried cranberries, and apricots, and figs.

Also (although these aren't at all sweet), I quite like unsweetened banana chips (the ones I get are made with coconut oil)- they took me aback at first bite because of the total lack of sweetness, but once I had a couple I noticed how much they reminded me of potato chips. Mm, yummy!
#10 Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmayhem View Post

Do you eat a lot of carbs otherwise? I find that when I'm eating too much pasta & bread I crave ice cream! I think it's a carb thing... or maybe I'm just making that up? lol

Hmm, I do eat a lot of bread and rice so I wonder if that could be part of it?

So far I've found having a couple of dates an evening and the occasional cup of cocoa has done the trick - I think that's got to be a healthier option!

I bought dates yesterday to make the raw brownie, just need to figure out if it's dried dates it needs or not (I bought both xD), I think it is

Gonna buy raisins tomorrow now! I used to love having those on my cereal at breakfast.
#11 Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 AM

I wouldn't suggest cutting your carbs if you're already having cravings for things, chances are you'll end up craving bread and rice on top of sugar if you do that.

Cocoa and dates are actually quite healthy for a treat- dried fruit of any kind will count towards your 5 (at least!) a day and the hot cocoa will have all the benefits of whatever milk you use to make it so if it seems to be doing the trick then I think you should keep up with those =] Often it's a case of finding what controls your own personal cravings, you just have to try a few things until you find what works.

For the brownies, I think it's dried dates, especially ifg they need to be soaked.

Good luck with maknig them!
#12 Old 01-28-2008, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the tips ghost, very helpful I'm not sure I could cut carbs if I tried really, I love my rice and bread a bit too much!

I'd best get soaking those dates
#13 Old 01-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Honestly, I like a sweet after dinner at night. I've tried the "eat fruit, eat dried fruit, eat these 500 healthy snacks instead" and I still want my piece of chocolate or cookie... but with a bunch of calories of other things ahead of it that I wasn't actually hungry for or needing. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather just cut to the chase, eat my cookie, and then I'm satisfied and am not consuming excessive calories just to get to the same end.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 01-29-2008, 04:25 PM

for me when I eat *white bread, white rice,etc* I get sugar cravings. But when I eat whole wheat bread, brown rice, etc I do not!
#15 Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Kinda OT, BUT are you sure it's really a craving for sweets ? You say your cravings got bad after going vegan, perhaps it's a savoury craving you just can't figure out how to meet? Lack of cheese can do that. I subed my cheese cravings with olives, gherkins, artichoke hearts, mostly salty kinda pickled veg type stuff. I could be totally off par, but maybe....
#16 Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

1 - 2 ripe frozen bananas. Blend them alone, or with other frozen fruit. This tastes surprisingly similar to "ice cream".

If it isn't sweet enough, you can add a little maple syrup.
#17 Old 01-29-2008, 07:41 PM
law
Veggie Regular

mmm ive been having frozen mashed bananas for the last few nights
#18 Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Just chiming in that raw cacao (chocolate) is a superfood and has the highest antioxidant count of any food on the planet. It also has phenylalanine and anandamide in it.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#19 Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 AM

I'll need to look into raw cacao, sounds interesting And mashed frozen banana sounds divine, I am totally trying that!

I don't think it is a savoury craving as that has always been my food of choice, hee. I love munching on bombay mix and olives and gherkins etc.

My raw brownie didn't come out right so I'm going to try again this evening probably. In the meantime I've found that a date or two really helps, and the last couple of nights I haven't really felt the cravings at all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page